GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure why I'm so excited about this, but I installed a 6-20 plug in my garage about a month ago in anticipation of getting a L2 EVSE, I just never got around to ordering it.

Well, since my birthday just so happened to be around the corner I asked the old man if he'd split the cost with me (you're never to old to ask for gifts, right??) and he happily agreed. It was even delivered on my ACTUAL birthday, while I was at work. Got to love Amazon!

I went with the Duosida EVSE: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGGVD9V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure many of you have seen/heard about this EVSE, and I've heard the stories about people having them cause issues with their cars and short lifespans. I bought one knowing all that, I accept the risk that it may fail prematurely and have the ability to repair the car myself if something should happen to it. I had no real issue with charging over 110, as my car sits all night anyways. However, there have been a few occasions where I would have loved to gain a few miles without having to wait hours and hours. I did note that the unit itself gets just ever so slightly warm while in use, as does the input side of the cable. The plug itself it cool, and the output side is cool, but I'll be keeping an eye on it either way. Mostly just because electricity still gives me pause (out of respect for the force) and my garage is wired with 12ga wiring, which "should" be plenty to support 16A but I still want to be aware just in case.

One other note: lots of people say that the plug is much more snug on insertion and removal than the EVSE that came with their vehicle. I have to disagree with those reviews, if I had to put a number on it I would say it's 10% stiffer than the stock connector. Barely noticeable, if at all.

Here's to hoping I don't end up in the minority that had issues with these chargers!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Congrats on moving to L2. I also had a Duosida but it broke after a few months. FWIW, when it worked it was fine. The only suggestion/advice I can give it to watch how the cord going from the EVSE to the car twists. It's a thicker cord than the stock EVSE and will twist/flex after repeated use. This is what ultimately caused mine to fail as it developed a break in one of the internal wires near a kink in the cord.

It is definitely a more snug fit in the car charge port but nothing crazy.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have two of these. Been using for 18 months. I think you will like the added freedom of having the ability to charge relatively quickly in the middle of the day other than overnight. It was definitely worth it for me. One has worked flawlessly throughout, and the second one eventually failed after 6 months, but was replaced for free by the company; that one has been working flawlessly now for over a year. One of them fits the charging port the same as the original equipment. The second one however has always been a lot tighter, doesn’t seem to bother anything, but it’s harder to get out. For the money they were definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
Sounds like we’re batting 1 for 3 kn this tiny sampling in terms of quality and longevity of this Chinese product but I guess you can buy 4 of these for the price that I paid for my Bosch SPX (which has been flawless for 4 years). Agree completely on how L2 gives you freedom to not be handcuffed to your evse waiting for electrons to flow.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Welcome to True 3.3kW L2 charging! (or 3.6kW for Gen 2)
Now you can leave your stock L1 stowed below the floor in the car.

And you don't have a potentially dangerous outlet at your house by avoiding the hoopty L1-L2 conversion dealio.

Congratulations on opening your dusty old billfold and spending $200 on your EV future!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I'm not sure why I'm so excited about this, .....
I did note that the unit itself gets just ever so slightly warm while in use, ....
but I'll be keeping an eye on it either way. Mostly just because electricity still gives me pause (out of respect for the force) and my garage is wired with 12ga wiring, which "should" be plenty to support 16A but I still want to be aware just in case....
You could get a cheapo IR Temp reader from amazon and quantify 'How warm is it?'.
https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-L...r=8-1-spons&keywords=ir+temperature+gun&psc=1

(Fun little tool. You can also quantify "Are you hot mama? You sure look that way to me!" Great opening line, BTW!!!)

You could also read your brake disc temps with this and find that the Friction Brakes rarely do any braking.
I encourage the 'Always drive in L to save the Brakes' bunch to do this testing.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought one with the dryer plug already on the cord over a year ago and it doesn't warm up with use at all, works perfectly and saved a bundle of money.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
If you search on ~zon or ~bay for "16 amp level 2 charger" or "16 amp level 2 EVSE" you will see a whole new batch of level 2 EVSEs from off-shore manufacturers; prices starting at under $200 USD including shipping or with free Prime shipping. A few of these manufacturers are even offering 3 year warranties on their EVSEs.

What these EVSE manufacturers have gotten right is they now offer a wide variety of 208/240V power plug configurations with the EVSE. Many of these EVSE include an LCD display that provides detailed information on voltage, amperage, kW, kWh and elapsed time while charging. Some of these low cost EVSE now offer 24 - 28 ft charging cords. A few of the low cost EVSE come with charging cords of less than 20ft but these EVSE are usually rated for 30 amps or 40 amps not 16 amps. The quality of customer support and service is unknown with many of these off brand EVSEs so that is an important consideration.

As with all sorts of consumer electronics it is inevitable that over time the majority of EVSEs will be made off shore. I recognize and support companies such as ClipperCreek with their full line of EVSE products and superior customer support but to remain competitive they will inevitably have to start selling a less expensive line of level 2 EVSEs alongside their domestic EVSEs.

As far as next-generation functionality I see the off-shore manufacturers starting to offer wifi connectivity with some of their EVSEs. The EVSE will able to be integrated into the smart home. (ClipperCreek currently has no consumer product offering in the form of a smart home EVSE. IMHO, to remain a top tier provider of EVSE they will need to add this capability.) Even though this smart capability is not essential many consumers will choose this option as long as the additional cost is not significant. A more practical smart EVSE application would be to be able to monitor use of the EVSE so that TOU metering can be applied to electric vehicle charging without requiring an additional power meter, sub panel or wiring in the home.

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
If you search on ~zon or ~bay for "16 amp level 2 charger" or "16 amp level 2 EVSE" you will see a whole new batch of level 2 EVSEs from off-shore manufacturers; prices starting at under $200 USD including shipping or with free Prime shipping. A few of these manufacturers are even offering 3 year warranties on their EVSEs.

What these EVSE manufacturers have gotten right is they now offer a wide variety of 208/240V power plug configurations with the EVSE. Many of these EVSE include an LCD display that provides detailed information on voltage, amperage, kW, kWh and elapsed time while charging. Some of these low cost EVSE now offer 24 - 28 ft charging cords. A few of the low cost EVSE come with charging cords of less than 20ft but these EVSE are usually rated for 30 amps or 40 amps not 16 amps. The quality of customer support and service is unknown with many of these off brand EVSEs so that is an important consideration.

As with all sorts of consumer electronics it is inevitable that over time the majority of EVSEs will be made off shore. I recognize and support companies such as ClipperCreek with their full line of EVSE products and superior customer support but to remain competitive they will inevitably have to start selling a less expensive line of level 2 EVSEs alongside their domestic EVSEs.
In my mind, a reputable name brand always wins out over an unknown Asian brand. For example, would you buy a Mango Wasabi 4k display over a Phillips, Dell, Samsung, or LG? Sure, the flat panels are all from the same source, but having to sift through Korean menus to switch it to English is kind of silly.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
In my mind, a reputable name brand always wins out over an unknown Asian brand. For example, would you buy a Mango Wasabi 4k display over a Phillips, Dell, Samsung, or LG? Sure, the flat panels are all from the same source, but having to sift through Korean menus to switch it to English is kind of silly.
Curtis Mathes, RCA and other companies used to manufacture excellent color television sets and stereo consoles in the US but they are long gone. At one time a mid-tier VHS VCR cost $600 USD, just before they turned out the lights on VCR production you could buy a new VHS VCR for $39 USD.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could get a cheapo IR Temp reader from amazon and quantify 'How warm is it?'.
https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-L...r=8-1-spons&keywords=ir+temperature+gun&psc=1

(Fun little tool. You can also quantify "Are you hot mama? You sure look that way to me!" Great opening line, BTW!!!)

You could also read your brake disc temps with this and find that the Friction Brakes rarely do any braking.
I encourage the 'Always drive in L to save the Brakes' bunch to do this testing.....
Sure did go ahead and order one! I had one at work but God forbid I can find it... oh well. It'll turn up as soon as Amazon delivers my new one, haha.

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
Curtis Mathes, RCA and other companies used to manufacture excellent color television sets and stereo consoles in the US but they are long gone. At one time a mid-tier VHS VCR cost $600 USD, just before they turned out the lights on VCR production you could buy a new VHS VCR for $39 USD.
With VCRs and audio equipment, i’ve Always been partial to Sony. I owned two betamaxes before finally giving in and getting some VHS VCRs (also Sony).

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
With VCRs and audio equipment, i’ve Always been partial to Sony. I owned two betamaxes before finally giving in and getting some VHS VCRs (also Sony).
I tried to make two points at the same time and ended up with none.

A) Off-shore manufacturing of consumer goods and in particular electronics will eventually drive all but the most competitive and innovative domestic manufacturers out of the market.

B) Mass production of consumer electronics, i.e. VCRs, eventually drove down unit costs to less than $25, perhaps a 95% reduction in the retail price of a VCR. I don't think that quite the same extreme cost reduction will take place with EVSEs but I expect that prices will continue to drop for 16 amp and 30 amp level 2 EVSEs; we will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
I tried to make two points at the same time and ended up with none.

A) Off-shore manufacturing of consumer goods and in particular electronics will eventually drive all but the most competitive and innovative domestic manufacturers out of the market.

B) Mass production of consumer electronics, i.e. VCRs, eventually drove down unit costs to less than $25, perhaps a 95% reduction in the retail price of a VCR. I don't think that quite the same extreme cost reduction will take place with EVSEs but I expect that prices will continue to drop for 16 amp and 30 amp level 2 EVSEs; we will have to wait and see.
And my point was despite ultra cheap prices at Walmart for a Coby branded VCR or DVD player, some people still want quality, not crap. I’ll never buy a Duosida in the same way I won’t buy unknown branded consumer electronics from Walmart. I’;l pick quality over price any day with electronics.

Does anyone remember that electronics company in the 80s named Goldstar that made crappy clock radios and other consumer electronics? Their real name was Lucky Goldstar and they’ve made a comeback renaming themselves to LG by making appliances look good, though it’s only skin deep. A regional appliance store who carries all the brands which is famous for their free 5 year extended warranties will not include their extended warranty on Samsung or LG appliances because they cannot stock parts, the parts take forever to get shipped from Korea, and the appliances have an astronomical failure rate compared to the norm.

·
Registered
174 Posts
And my point was despite ultra cheap prices at Walmart for a Coby branded VCR or DVD player, some people still want quality, not crap. I’ll never buy a Duosida in the same way I won’t buy unknown branded consumer electronics from Walmart. I’;l pick quality over price any day with electronics.

Does anyone remember that electronics company in the 80s named Goldstar that made crappy clock radios and other consumer electronics? Their real name was Lucky Goldstar and they’ve made a comeback renaming themselves to LG by making appliances look good, though it’s only skin deep. A regional appliance store who carries all the brands which is famous for their free 5 year extended warranties will not include their extended warranty on Samsung or LG appliances because they cannot stock parts, the parts take forever to get shipped from Korea, and the appliances have an astronomical failure rate compared to the norm.
That's amazing!
I've found through ownership that both named brands are excellent value.
I guess they learn and grow better with time.
I remember "made in Japan" meant junk. Then it became good quality and Chinese was junk. Now some of the Chinese manufactured items are the best you can find and cheap too.
I'm all for made in USA first but recognize quality that is made elsewhere.

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
That's amazing!
I've found through ownership that both named brands are excellent value.
I guess they learn and grow better with time.
I remember "made in Japan" meant junk. Then it became good quality and Chinese was junk. Now some of the Chinese manufactured items are the best you can find and cheap too.
I'm all for made in USA first but recognize quality that is made elsewhere.
That said, I won’t be buying a Chinese or Korean car anytime soon. Ironically I’m Asian and all the cars in my driveway are GM (a volt, a CTS, and a Suburban)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Keep in mind an EVSE is a (?) 40 amp relay (on or off) controlled by a small board that has GFCI safety function and a pilot signal system that tells the car to "Only suck up 3.3kW" or 6.6kW or L1 @ 12 amps, etc.

That same board can be used in all sizes of EVSE with a change in the pilot signal output. It's not Rocket Surgery...:p

I recently did a hardwire install of a ClipperCreek HCS-40 for a relative that bought a Leaf at an amazing price (lots of incentives/programs, but without talking to me:(). That thing is mostly air on the inside. It could have been 1/4 the size.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Does anyone remember in 2007 when Whirlpool Corporation, who had earlier acquired Maytag, closed the 100 year old Maytag corporate headquarters and assembly plant? Century old Maytag factory closes.

There were many reasons for Maytag's troubles including Maytag's failure to innovate and offer the next generation of consumers new features and capabilities. This allowed Samsung and LG to gain a foothold in the US appliance market. Today Speed Queen is one of the few if not only remaining US manufacturer of washing machines and dryers. Speed Queen's reputation for quality and dependability is at least as good as Maytag's used to be. I hope that Speed Queen makes it but there is no guarantee.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Keep in mind an EVSE is a (?) 40 amp relay (on or off) controlled by a small board that has GFCI safety function and a pilot signal system that tells the car to "Only suck up 3.3kW" or 6.6kW or L1 @ 12 amps, etc.

That same board can be used in all sizes of EVSE with a change in the pilot signal output. It's not Rocket Surgery...:p

I recently did a hardwire install of a ClipperCreek HCS-40 for a relative that bought a Leaf at an amazing price (lots of incentives/programs, but without talking to me:(). That thing is mostly air on the inside. It could have been 1/4 the size.
I believe the size of the enclosure for the HCS series of EVSE is intentionally large to allow for passive cooling of the circuitry. The LCS series, by comparison, is limited to passing no more than 24 amps (LCS-30) and is built into a much smaller EVSE housing. I can see why ClipperCreek chose to go with passive cooling as a built-in cooling fan would have added to the cost and would always be a potential single point of failure for the EVSE. Also, I'm not sure if the EVSE would be NEMA level 4 rated for use in all weather conditions if the case was vented. A 30 - 40 amp rated EVSE packaged in a smaller case would get warmer in use, lead to earlier failure of the electronic components. It is a classic trade off.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
... A 30 - 40 amp rated EVSE packaged in a smaller case would get warmer in use, lead to earlier failure of the electronic components. It is a classic trade off.
I'm not sure I buy that explanation.
8ga wire going to a 40A relay is not going to generate more heat than a properly sized smaller current EVSE, on down to the L1 size EVSE.
The circuit boards themselves only draw ~3 watts at idle and a small amount more holding the relay closed. All these components are not supposed be used at more than 80% of their capacity.

Who knows???

I think it's Marketing! "You get more when you get a big box!":p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts