GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a very happy and satisfied new 2014 Volt owner! I owe the team at Keyes Chevy a HUGE Thank You for the awesome deal (Rick Alpern) and totally satisfying purchasing experience. I sure never said that about buying a car before!

Really no BS; Rick Alpern quoted $3,000 back of invoice on 2014 Volts and he delivered. No negotiations whatsoever.

Rick sent me a copy of the invoice so I could see his costs which were all as I had researched before hand. There was no bait and switch, although the car I wanted already had a couple of dealer add-ons applied. Rick told me I could simply choose another car if I liked.

However, after doing a price vs. value comparison, I was very comfortable with my decision to accept the car I originally chose.

BTW, the add-on's were also significantly discounted for GM-Volt forum members totaling only an additional $349.

Before I give you the details of my deal, I must reiterate that if you are in the market for a Volt, Keyes is the place to get it. The entire team took excellent care of us, especially Evan and Tony as Rick was out of the office for the weekend, but he left us in great hands!

Heck Tony even babysat our two rowdy kids (4 & 6) while we were in finance. This is no easy feat I can guarantee you that!

The story:

I had planned to buy a 2014 Volt before the end of the year, most likely in December. I needed it this year due to our current tax situation or I would have waited even longer as I am (was) already driving a leased Loaded 2012 Volt.

Then Rick had to do the impossible; offer $3,000 back of invoice on 2014 Volts. This is unheard of. No one offers this good of a deal this early into a cars release. Couple this with GM's 0% for 48 months deal and the deal was just too good to pass up!

So after I qualified for the 0% on Thursday evening I told the wife (on Friday morning) to pack the kids, we are going to California! Sure I could have had the car shipped to me in AZ (~$350) and saved the miles on both Volts, but we were up for an adventure so I said "what the hell!"

Left work at 10 AM
Arrived home at 11 AM
Loaded family, picked up son from school and left for Van Nuys, CA at 12 PM
439 miles and 7.5 hours later (LA Traffic, YECH!), arrived at Keyes Chevy

We closed the place down and left for home with one kid each in our new Volts at about 11 PM or so (my wife gets to park her 2008 Malibu and finish off the 2012 Volt lease for the next year).

Arrived home (DAMN Tired) at 7:30 AM.

BTW I had time to look at all the new Volt's (colors) and I think the Brownstone looks pretty nice, Ashen, not my thing. Also, the Spark EV is a lot bigger inside than I imagined as well.

My 2014 Volt:

Exterior: Silver Topaz Metallic
Interior: Jet Black/light Titanium

Options:

Audio System With Navigation, Chevrolet Mylink Radio With Navigation, Am/Fm Stereo With Cd Player And Mp3 Playback Capability
Premium Trim Package
Enhanced Safety Package 1
Enhanced Safety Package 2
Audio System Feature, Bose Premium Speaker System With 7 Speakers Including Sub-Woofer, Energy Efficient Series Sound System

The only option that the car did not have that I wanted was the polished wheels, but the painted stock wheels are growing on me fast. Also the color, WOW, I love it! I have the extra cost red on my 2012 and I like this much better!

Dealer Add-On's:

Vehicle Theft Registration
Finishing Touch Interior/Exterior Protection with Guarantees

The Deal:

MSRP before advertising fees: $38,950
Invoice before advertising fees: $37,108

Invoice with Dealer IMR & LMA Group Contributions : $37,871
(these are national advertising fees from GM, no way to avoid them)

Price with Dealer (Back of Invoice) Discount of $3,000: $34,871

Final Price after Dealer Add-on's: $35,220

Now add some temporary license fees for me to drive her home, doc fee, sales tax and we are at: $38,335

Subtract my GM Card allowance of: $925
Subtract my down payment of: $7,500 (which of course I will get back in February from my tax return)

Then the amount financed at 0% for the next 48 months is: $29,909

I still have to pay AZ VLT (plates and registration) of about: $585.83

My 2012 Vs 2014 Volt:

Hands down I like the 2014 better!

My 2012 is an early model so no MyLink or larger battery.

The Nav is much nicer on the 2014 with all the traffic details, speed limits, etc., but the fonts could be bigger for these tired old eyes;)
Also there is less wind noise at speed on the 2014???

Anyway there are other reasons, but suffice it to say I am now driving the best car I have ever been in and I'm loving it!!!

Link to a post with some photos taken 5.5 days later:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?72754-My-2014-Volt-Pics-on-day-5.5&p=944458#post944458

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Sweet deal, thanks for all the details. Often folks brag up their purchase and don't really provide any of the details. Congrats on the great deal amd kudos's to Keyes Chevy for selling a car the way it should be sold, no tricks, BS or secret meetings with the "Manager".

Here's to miles of EV smiles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats doudis2! I actually briefly met you late Friday at the dealership. I was there to test drive a Volt. I was the guy getting into the Volt that you thought you were buying, but it was just a different Silver Ice Volt...lol

While I haven't closed my deal on a Volt yet (still undeceided on a Volt) I can vouch the Keyes sales team is pretty straight forward to deal with.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats doudis2! I actually briefly met you late Friday at the dealership. I was there to test drive a Volt. I was the guy getting into the Volt that you thought you were buying, but it was just a different Silver Ice Volt...lol

While I haven't closed my deal on a Volt yet (still undeceided on a Volt) I can vouch the Keyes sales team is pretty straight forward to deal with.
Hey that was you that I thought was stealing my car, LOL! Sorry about that. I was a bit brain dead after the long ass drive in! It wasn't even the right color (hard to tell at night)!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Kind words are very much appreciated ! We do work hard to be the number one choice for Volt , Spark and all the other great products Chevy offers. Our New facility will be amazing and our inventory situation will become even better.
The 14s are arriving in quantity although with almost 900 Volts sold in September in the Western region the Allocation for September was about 80 for less then 10 percent. This means we could see shortages in late October and November for certain.
Just a little Volt info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Being that there is no sales tax in Oregon if we buy a 2014 Volt in California do we
have to pay California Sales Tax??

·
Registered
50 Posts
you have to pay California sales tax if you drive the car in CA, not worth it, just find a local dealer and hammer a deal on them

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Paying that sales tax is deal breaker for me.

So I take it that if you buy the car and have it shipped to Oregon you pay no
California sales tax?

·
Registered
201 Posts
No. As long as the vehicle is titled in your home state, you pay (or not) the rates for your state..Now you may pay and be refunded, depending on the state, but the net result will be your titled states' rate.

Being that there is no sales tax in Oregon if we buy a 2014 Volt in California do we
have to pay California Sales Tax??

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
No. As long as the vehicle is titled in your home state, you pay (or not) the rates for your state..Now you may pay and be refunded, depending on the state, but the net result will be your titled states' rate.
Thanks for the reply, Oregon has no sales tax. I know when you purchase a new vehicle
in nearby Washington State you pay no sales tax and you obtain a Washington Temp. Trip Permit and then register
in Oregon.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hands down I like the 2014 better!

My 2012 is an early model so no MyLink or larger battery.

The Nav is much nicer on the 2014 with all the traffic details, speed limits, etc., but the fonts could be bigger for these tired old eyes;)
Also there is less wind noise at speed on the 2014
How is the backup camera as compared to your 2012 Volt?

Can the Nav zoom in to street level or is it still stuck at the same maximum zoom as the 2012?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How is the backup camera as compared to your 2012 Volt?

Can the Nav zoom in to street level or is it still stuck at the same maximum zoom as the 2012?
Morning, I tried to answer last night with my phone but all that typing got lost darn it. Oh well, I'm going to do you one better today though.

On the way in I took some Nav screen shots.

I do not know what features the 2013 has, but comparing my 2012 to my 2014 is apples to oranges. The 2014's Nav has a ton more information, like you will see below. The zoom level is 50 yd. I do not remember what it is on my 2012 so I'd have to look.

As for the back up camera; it may be a little sharper but nothing to write home about. I just wish they would not have removed the guide lines in 2013... just a pure and simple stupid deletion on the GM's software development teams part if you as me.

Anyway there is a lot more to the Nav then I show below. If you want all the details I'd download and read the Infotainment manual from the Chevy website.

Enjoy!

PS forgive the blur, I was driving ...shhhh.

IMG_20130924_053825_990.jpg IMG_20130924_054013_354.jpg IMG_20130924_053531_853.jpg IMG_20130924_053502_780.jpg IMG_20130924_054150_611.jpg

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Darn - I was hoping that the 2014 Volt would have navigation maps at least as nice as my 2010 Infiniti FX. Oh, well... I'm sure they'll get there eventually. I wonder if the ELR will have maps this nice?

4559086254_75474541c1_b.jpg 4558458363_b87d94052f_b.jpg 4559088948_5e2404b82c_b.jpg audi-mmi-navigation-nvision-08.jpg

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Darn - I was hoping that the 2014 Volt would have navigation maps at least as nice as my 2010 Infiniti FX. Oh, well... I'm sure they'll get there eventually. I wonder if the ELR will have maps this nice?]
Oh yeah that is sweet (kinda looks like something out of the movie TRON); but like they say you get what you pay for. This is a Chevy after all.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm from AZ and I bought my Volt from Keyes in CA and I had to pay CA sales tax, even though I titled (3 weeks later) in AZ. AZ just didn't make me pay for AZ sales tax again because I already paid CA sales tax.

I'm not sure about the "pay now for CA then get refunded by Oregon" part. Who's going to refund the sales tax to you? CA or OR? Surely Oregon wouldn't want to refund to you the tax money that CA got from you. And why would CA be willing to refund you the sales tax you already paid? I would double/triple check with the state of CA and even get it in writing that they will indeed refund me the sales tax before I do the deal.

Or at least make sure that Keyes agrees not to charge you CA sales tax when they sell the car to you. Keyes charged me CA sales tax anyway even though they knew of my intention to drive back and title and register my car in AZ.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts