GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I could use some help with the differences in the Clipper Creek EVSEs. But, I'd rather not post it on open forum.

If any of you folks who have taken apart the EVSE that GM gives to lucky Volt owners would be willing to help, I'd appreciate it if you could please PM me.

Thanks!

· Administrator
23,383 Posts
I could use some help with the differences in the Clipper Creek EVSEs. But, I'd rather not post it on open forum.
Why not? It's not like we are discussing trade secrets here. If you have something to ask, ask it so others can maybe learn from your questions and the answers.

· Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
965 Posts
Tear downs of all the units have been documented here on the forum, the info you need is likely posted already. Someone will direct you to that post if you let us know what you're after...

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, found it.

I was going to open my EVSE that came with the car and my LCS-20, both made by Clipper Creek, and list the differences.

There indeed was enough information to do that without voiding two EVSE warranties.

Here's what I found (posted on another thread too):

Here's where I think the differences are between the LCS-20 (L2 EVSE) and the GM supplied EVSE made also by Clipper Creek:

1) The relay (T92P7A24-XXX part number) coil runs off of the input voltage. XXX is the coil voltage - 120 and 240 (among others) are available. If it's an L1 EVSE, then they use a version of the relay that uses a 120V coil. If it's an L2 EVSE, they use a version of the relay that runs off of 240V. This is what makes the "Chris TX" mod (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-how-to-modify-Voltec-L1-EVSE-to-do-L1-and-L2) so clever - it uses 120V for ALL the circuitry and just switches 240V instead of 120V. Clever. But, it requires a neutral line in addition to the 240V lines - I believe that a 240V Clipper Creek unit doesn't use the neutral line (it measures open with my meter).

2) JMP4 is a set of jumpers used to select the primary voltage for the small (2.5 Watt, VPP36-070 for the part number) for the control power. If the two outer jumpers are installed, the transformer primaries are in parallel (120V). If the center jumper is installed, the transformer primaries are in series (240V).

3) JMP1-JMP3 are to tell the microprocessor what particular model (and current capabilities) the unit is. I don't have the magic decoder ring for this one.

4) I suspect, but can't say for sure, that the gauge of the charging cord is changed between a 3.3 kW unit and a 6.6 kW unit.

So, by jumper settings, different power relay input coils & different output cords, Clipper Creek can use the same board for many of (all of?) their products. Very slick!

Thanks all for indulging me.

· Premium Member
19,942 Posts
Thank you for posting. Very interesting. No doubt others will benefit from your post.

This is also BTW the same basic difference you'll find in the Panasonic EVSE that comes with the Nissan Leaf, though from reports the Panasonic EVSE is more rugged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.