GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sucks, go back to the original design, that I would have bought, now I'd rather buy a foreign car, so much for waiting for chevy to impress me. :mad:

·
Registered
200 Posts
This sucks, go back to the original design, that I would have bought, now I'd rather buy a foreign car, so much for waiting for chevy to impress me. :mad:
Enjoy that import. Careful that you don't buy a Prius or an Insight or a Civic Hybrid, or a Camry or a Corolla, someone might think you're a dork. Never mind the big money Honda and Toyota have made on those models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was looking forward to the release of this car based on what I've seen in their TV commecials. But, much like the disappointment I felt in the current Implala when it was released (which by the way looks more like it was designed by Honda than Chevrolet) this is sad.. I think I will wait for the new Camaro to add to my collection. Once again, very sad!

And yes Patriot24, I agree, don't buy an import!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was looking forward to the release of this car based on what I've seen in their TV commecials. But, much like the disappointment I felt in the current Implala when it was released (which by the way looks more like it was designed by Honda than Chevrolet) this is sad.. I think I will wait for the new Camaro to add to my collection. Once again, very sad!

And yes Patriot24, I agree, don't buy an import!
YUP! I couldn't have put it better. Move over Camaro buyers, there's one more guy getting in line.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are we really dissing an electric car over it's looks?

The design might not be as great as expected, but if you're seriously not going to buy this car because of the design, then you were buying it for the wrong reasons. I for one am grateful that they put the effort into fuel economy, not "edgy" looks. And as for imports, until we start making better cars that run well, last, and have good fuel economy, I have no problem with imports.

American cars have always been more about design than functionality so it's nice to see a push in the right direction. Maybe if we had been concerned about the quality of the cars we make in the past, rather than their appearance, we wouldn't have so many imports on the road as it is. Just a thought. I'm looking forward to the Volt though, and I'm sorry so many were dissapointed by it's looks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I disagree. US auto makers have continued a push towards more fuel efficient vehicles now for more than a few years. The quality factor is debatable at best when one considers the price most imports command when a repair is needed. My wife drives a Subaru WRX and the price of repairs are astronimcal. I can still get a water pump for my 68 Camaro for under $50 which by the way has over a million miles on it. As for looks. Looks has always played an important part in the American car buying experience. Ford gets it, Dodge gets it. GM needs to get it too.

And if looks aren't important, why is the Honda Civic one of the best selling cars in history? And why are there 10 millions Civics all tricked out and on the road here? People usually don't buy a car that is not attractive to them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, imports are SO MUCH better looking than the domestics. Statements like that just make you look stupid.

Now for some of the others here either on the positive or negative side of the discussion, I have a question. Putting aside the Volt, which I am lukewarm to at the momment, would you consider an E-Flex Camaro, thats gets 25-30 mpc to be an acceptable or unacceptable EREV offering from GM? Please explain.

·
Registered
75 Posts
cry more guys

·
Registered
181 Posts
... would you consider an E-Flex Camaro, thats gets 25-30 mpc to be an acceptable or unacceptable EREV offering from GM? Please explain.
Yes I would, but it would have to get better than 25-30 MPG in an E-Flex option to make a difference. The base V6 Camaro will deliver 26 MPG. Anyway, if it made economic sense then I'd do it.

But here's the deal. Let's assume for just a minute that Gas will be $5/gal and stay about there for a while. Also assume that I'll buy a car and keep it for 100,000 miles. Fuel costs for a 26 MPG Camaro would be $20,000 over the time I own that vehicle. Let's assume that in real world driving I get 100 MPG with a Volt. I'll only spend $5,000 on gas during my ownership. I'll also most likely spend another $750 (rough est.) on electricity to charge the battery. That means that the Volt can be $14,500 more expensive and I'll break even financially on the deal. We think the V6 Camaro will cost about the same as a Mustang. So let's say without dealer insentives etc., The Camaro would cost me $26000. The Volt can cost $40,000 and I'll break even.

Now let's further assume that I sell or trade the car at 100,000 miles. History would tell me that the Camaro will be worth half to two thirds of it's original cost because Camaros are in such high demand. I assume that because Volt is just a plane looking sedan and will also have batteries that need to be replaced soon, that the resale on the Volt will probably be somewhere around 20% or so of sticker at that point.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Buy the Camaro and enjoy riding in a car with classic good looks, pay as you go at the pump, and win in the end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Big Disappointment

With so many design options, why choose the blandest?This is a sad day for GM. GM had an oppotunity to take the world market with a dynamic , sexy design. The Volt looks like an Aveo. Was this a ploy to garner interest in a very cool electric concept and then switch to a granny car devoid of any appeal? C'mon GM! Do the right thing. Give us an electric for the 21st century, not some rehashed cavalier design. You can do it! Shake off the past! Go for it!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
With so many design options, why choose the blandest?This is a sad day for GM. GM had an oppotunity to take the world market with a dynamic , sexy design. The Volt looks like an Aveo. Was this a ploy to garner interest in a very cool electric concept and then switch to a granny car devoid of any appeal? C'mon GM! Do the right thing. Give us an electric for the 21st century, not some rehashed cavalier design. You can do it! Shake off the past! Go for it!!
How anyone can look at this car and call it bland is beyond me. All I can say is with all the production Volt haters here, I cant see any of you buying a vehicle that you hate. So if you kids are that disgruntled with it, there is no way you'll buy one. So I guess we'll be saying goodbye, as there is no point in being here...right?

·
Registered
200 Posts
While the production Volt is not the most exciting vehicle on the planet to look at, if you think it looks like an Aveo you've either never seen an Aveo or you're legally blind.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do we not have mods on this forum to weed out bullshit?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Enjoy that import. Careful that you don't buy a Prius or an Insight or a Civic Hybrid, or a Camry or a Corolla, someone might think you're a dork. Never mind the big money Honda and Toyota have made on those models.
Funny... I don't feel like a dork at the gas station when I'm filling my Prius up. And the other people don't look at me like I'm a dork when they are filling up their Yukon that they can't even trade in now...

Can't wait for the volt though. I will have to fill up like.. once every month or two.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Funny... I don't feel like a dork at the gas station when I'm filling my Prius up. And the other people don't look at me like I'm a dork when they are filling up their Yukon that they can't even trade in now...

Can't wait for the volt though. I will have to fill up like.. once every month or two.
You missed my point, I'm afraid... the same guy had posted onto several threads in quick succession the whine that the Volt was disappointing and he'd think someone driving by in one would look like a dork, so he was going to buy an imported car, insinuating they're inherently superior. I was just making the point that a lot of these mainstream "boring" vehicles sell like hotcakes and no one complains they make people "look dorky" (well, people make jokes about the Prius, but I think that's mainly because of the weird Hollywood craze for them.) I think the people complaining that the Volt looks too normal are clueless, GM needs it to become as normal to see a Volt as it is to see an Accord, and the only way to sell lots of them is to make it like the cars people actually choose to spend their money on. I was just being a bit of a sarcastic prick.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You missed my point, I'm afraid... the same guy had posted onto several threads in quick succession the whine that the Volt was disappointing and he'd think someone driving by in one would look like a dork, so he was going to buy an imported car, insinuating they're inherently superior. I was just making the point that a lot of these mainstream "boring" vehicles sell like hotcakes and no one complains they make people "look dorky" (well, people make jokes about the Prius, but I think that's mainly because of the weird Hollywood craze for them.) I think the people complaining that the Volt looks too normal are clueless, GM needs it to become as normal to see a Volt as it is to see an Accord, and the only way to sell lots of them is to make it like the cars people actually choose to spend their money on. I was just being a bit of a sarcastic prick.
Hey thanks for the response. No bad feelings on this end. I have just seen so many anti-Prius posts on here! I tell you what though, I look forward to the day that GM crushes the Prius and keeps at least a few more of our $$ here at home. I do defend the looks of the Prius though, I think it looks pretty good. (With tinted windows anyway.) For some reason the car looks goofy when you can see through it.. sorta cheap inside. Anyways, I like both versions of the Volt, the production style volt has an way better interior!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Oh, and I'm also being a bit naive because I am after-all, on a GM fan site. LOL ... I guess I tend to associate myself as a Volt fan, and not quite a GM fan yet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just go stick a bigger fart can exhaust on your CRX and go away then.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Not all of us are die-hard GM fans. I am quite skeptical regarding GM products, based on previous experience. I am hopeful, however, that they will give us their "A-game" on the Volt. I want to like it. As far as I'm concerned, it's their sale to lose.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts