GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally filled my 2016 Volt with premium fuel. Is that a problem? I rarely drive on gas, and I last filled in December '19, so I decided to let the battery go to zero and drive in pure hybrid until I burned out the gas. Then I filled up this morning. Except I just grabbed the premium grade just like I do for my Miata. Will the premium gas burn OK in my 2016?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
It's a good thing the 2016 Volt can only hold 8.5 gallons of fuel in the fuel tank otherwise you could be talking real money.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My question is, why did you FILL it. If you don't use gas very often, put maybe 3 gallons in it. Saves on weight and less you have to burn off if it gets old. If you use that 3 gallons, just put 3 more in.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The Volt will burn the gas out when it reaches a year old, so you didn't need to do this. As for premium, all you did was waste some money at the pump but it won't hurt your car.

Reactions: jbakerjonathan

·
Registered
99 Posts
leppard3,

Actually Crocker did the right thing. Filling the tank leaves less air room for the gas to go bad. I always fill my tiny tank

Stephen

My question is, why did you FILL it. If you don't use gas very often, put maybe 3 gallons in it. Saves on weight and less you have to burn off if it gets old. If you use that 3 gallons, just put 3 more in.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Here in northwestern Oregon where electricity can go out for days due to unavoidable weather events. We also keep our gas tank full in our 2016 Volt, also safely storing 5 5 gal. gas cans is also good idea, so we can run our generator and fill up both of our vehicles, our 2016 Volt, and 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, both very economical on gas.

·
Registered
238 Posts
leppard3,

Actually Crocker did the right thing. Filling the tank leaves less air room for the gas to go bad. I always fill my tiny tank

Stephen
Another cut and paste from my 2018 owners manual:
If fuel is not regularly used, consider
keeping the fuel tank only one-third
full.

·
Registered
141 Posts
leppard3,

Stephen
Stephen, That's ok advice for normal "ice" cars. But Chevy really thought this out and designed our tanks to take care of the gas. It is pressurized and that helps keep the gas from aging out. Our Volt keeps track of the fuel age and will run the ice once in a while. I am like many here, I keep just 2 or 3 gallons most of the time. When I do go on a long trip I top it off and use "Hold" mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts