GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just this past Saturday I was visiting friends in Michigan and driving on the infamous I-75 when I hit an enormous pot hole along with 3 unfortunate motorists who were left stranded at the side of the road.

I thought nothing of it at the time still having full air pressure. I drove home just fine that evening but the next day I noticed that I lost air pressure to my tires. I thought it was a result of tire punctures but as it turned out, this had cracked my front wheels and bent the back wheel badly enough that it was no longer holding pressure.

The tires themselves were just fine but the replacement cost for the 2 OEM wheels would have been over $900 with tax. So it was cheaper to replace all 4 wheels with an aftermarket set.

I think they look decent enough.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille Car

·
Registered
260 Posts
I-75 is a flippin’ nightmare. Drive slow enough to miss the holes and you risk being run over. Drive fast enough to keep up with traffic and you risk being swallowed.

·
Registered
2011 Volt Premier (0737); 2010 Highlander Hybrid; 1993 K3500 6.5TD former ambulance
150 Posts
Yeah, MI roads are an embarrassing nightmare. I also suspect that the OEM Volt wheels are prone to failure. The original owner of my 2011 replaced one and I replaced another. Both of the remaining originals leak slowly, either due to corrosion or cracking of the rims.
So be it. Adding air to my tires distracts me from the fear that my traction battery won't make it through another MI winter.
Pure Michigan!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just this past Saturday I was visiting friends in Michigan and driving on the infamous I-75 when I hit an enormous pot hole along with 3 unfortunate motorists who were left stranded at the side of the road.

I thought nothing of it at the time still having full air pressure. I drove home just fine that evening but the next day I noticed that I lost air pressure to my tires. I thought it was a result of tire punctures but as it turned out, this had cracked my front wheels and bent the back wheel badly enough that it was no longer holding pressure.

The tires themselves were just fine but the replacement cost for the 2 OEM wheels would have been over $900 with tax. So it was cheaper to replace all 4 wheels with an aftermarket set.

I think they look decent enough.

View attachment 174508
New wheels look great! What are they?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The tread has been getting concerningly low on my tires as well so I've been keeping an eye out for good replacements. I had a list somewhere but apparently nothing quite beats the EV economy of the OEM tires.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The tread has been getting concerningly low on my tires as well so I've been keeping an eye out for good replacements. I had a list somewhere but apparently nothing quite beats the EV economy of the OEM tires.
Yeah, but is EV economy the only thing you care about in a tire? It's interesting that people obsess about slight changes in electric range, while efficiency is barely discussed at all with regard to tires for ICE vehicles.

·
Administrator
22,544 Posts
The quest for the Holy Grail. When my OEM Goodyear's were down to 4/32" tread I replaced them with the same tire. After all, I got 70,000 miles from them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
while efficiency is barely discussed at all with regard to tires for ICE vehicles.
It is in hybrid circles... (check out the first gen Insight owners - they love their otherwise s**tty RE92's)

With the other inefficiencies of most ICE vehicles, tire efficiency is a much smaller slice of the pie - so performance, comfort, noise and other more noticeable features of a tire win out over rolling resistance.

-Charlie

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, MI roads are an embarrassing nightmare. I also suspect that the OEM Volt wheels are prone to failure. The original owner of my 2011 replaced one and I replaced another. Both of the remaining originals leak slowly, either due to corrosion or cracking of the rims.
So be it. Adding air to my tires distracts me from the fear that my traction battery won't make it through another MI winter.
Pure Michigan!
Not much has changed there since I left. Believe it or not, it's better now. Not so much the roads, but at least you aren't losing a windshield every year or two because they finally enacted a tarp law there not too long before I left.

Not missing those days....

And actually all aluminum alloy wheels crack easy. They are cast so there's always going to be an easy way to fracture that type of metal formation. Happened to a wheel on my DW's former German made Passat wagon.

·
Administrator
22,544 Posts
I'm not sure about Gen 2, but the wheels on my 2010 Volt are forged, not cast. Forged are generally more resistant to cracking than cast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts