GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after much deliberation, I finally decided to make the switch to the Volt. I’m getting this one: dueckdowntown.com/VehicleDetails/used-2015-Chevrolet-Volt--Vancouver-BC/3231180623. Yay!

It’s a 2015 model, imported from California. Carproof says it was bought at an auction (no idea if it means anything), imported and seems put in the dealers lot for sale. I test drove it and couldn’t see any problems.

They told me the Volt only has the remaining warranty on the battery (100,000 miles) and are pushing me to get an extended warranty... Should I? It seems a bit expensive and covers the electronics of the car, but since this beauty is full of electronics, may be I should get it? Or perhaps it still has some left - it’s only 3 years, 53,600km.

Are there any good iPhone apps for the Volt? Apps that can show charging stations, etc?

If I decide to get a faster charger at home, which one do you recommend?

I’m so excited about this car. It’s such an upgrade from my old Malibu... 😊

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Will need to double-check for Canada, but there are actually 4 warranties on a VOLT. If so, only ONE of them should be expired (the bumper-to-bumper). I think they're trying to sell you an expensive and likely unnecessary extended warranty. BUT, I'm not sure if an "imported" model affects the warranty. Check local laws.

Those four warranties are the following: POWERTRAIN (usually 5 years/50K US miles); EMISSIONS 7-8 years 70-80K miles; HYBRID warranty (covers Voltec components/battery) 100K/8 years; and--for certainly California vehicles (this could be one of them) a 150K/10 year warranty on the BATTERY (only).

Send a message to [email protected] and give them the VIN and ask them to run you the remaining warranties on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Dueck sells more Volts than any one in BC (the Chevy dealer in Parksville is second so they said). I'm surprised they would buy one at auction, would it be that hard to get one off lease, trade in etc. It's pretty easy to bring a California Volt up to Canadian specs, just some programing needed. They always try to get you to but extended warranty, even Honda dealer that sold me mine tried to sell me an extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
... Are there any good iPhone apps for the Volt? Apps that can show charging stations, etc?
The OnStar app - if you decide to subscribe to it. I think they have a free plan with some basic services. It will also show nearby charging stations. But the 'mother lode' app for that is plugshare.

If you decide to use OnStar, you can have some fun with it by registering at voltstats.net. Lets you compare your stats with other Volt drivers and show your friends how little gas you use.

If I decide to get a faster charger at home, which one do you recommend?
Check with forum member 'Chris tx'. You might only need a simple plug adapter for the 'charge cord' (EVSE) that you already have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts