GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Nice review, although really long...
It looks like a nice car, but I'm really waiting for its cousin, the Niro EV. The Niro is a bit longer, so you get more trunk space. I think it also has a traditional shifter, as opposed to the buttons, which I'm sure my wife would much prefer.
Hoping that it becomes available in my area sometime in the next 12 months or so.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice review, although really long...
It looks like a nice car, but I'm really waiting for its cousin, the Niro EV. The Niro is a bit longer, so you get more trunk space. I think it also has a traditional shifter, as opposed to the buttons, which I'm sure my wife would much prefer.
Hoping that it becomes available in my area sometime in the next 12 months or so.
It's definitely the size that's an issue for me. I can't remember, but I think Bjorn is only like 5'8" or something, and his feet hang out the back. The Bolt EV is significantly longer in the rear. I was able to sleep comfortably stretched out, and I'm 5'10". If you're right about the Niro EV, it should be more similar in size to the Bolt EV. The big question for me about Kia is, did they finally do the smart thing and switch from CHAdeMO to CCS. I'm thinking they did, just because of Korea's emphasis on the CCS standard.

My other issue with the Kona is, despite being smaller than the Bolt EV, it's significantly heavier (almost 400 lbs). That negates a lot of the power, affects the handling, and impacts the efficiency. At 75 mph, it looks to be about 10% less efficient than the Bolt EV. Also, I don't know that I care for the way the battery hangs out the bottom. I guess that's something you have to deal with in an EV built on a chassis originally designed for an ICE.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It's definitely the size that's an issue for me. I can't remember, but I think Bjorn is only like 5'8" or something, and his feet hang out the back. The Bolt EV is significantly longer in the rear. I was able to sleep comfortably stretched out, and I'm 5'10". If you're right about the Niro EV, it should be more similar in size to the Bolt EV. The big question for me about Kia is, did they finally do the smart thing and switch from CHAdeMO to CCS. I'm thinking they did, just because of Korea's emphasis on the CCS standard.

My other issue with the Kona is, despite being smaller than the Bolt EV, it's significantly heavier (almost 400 lbs). That negates a lot of the power, affects the handling, and impacts the efficiency. At 75 mph, it looks to be about 10% less efficient than the Bolt EV. Also, I don't know that I care for the way the battery hangs out the bottom. I guess that's something you have to deal with in an EV built on a chassis originally designed for an ICE.
The Kona is actually the same exact length as the Bolt. The Niro is another 8" longer. The Bolt has a bit shorter nose, so you end up with a bit more cabin space. From what I can tell, the Niro has a significantly longer trunk space than the Kona or the Bolt. That is really what turns me off about the Bolt. I can't throw my 60lb dog behind the back seat when there's only 12". The Niro is about 30" long.

The Niro will have the same powertrain as the Kona, which I'm assuming will include the CCS charger. To me, that's not as big a deal, as any time I'd be exceeding the range, I'd probably be driving the Pathfinder.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Oh Boy,
Adaptive Cruise, 100kW DCFC, longer range than the Bolt.

If by the time Chevy offers Adaptive Cruise on the Bolt (and hopefully SuperCruise) but the tax credits have run out....

What's this American Boy supposed to do with his American Money?

My one silly issue I have with cars that have higher level options is: you have to buy smelly, quick to age leather seats.:mad:
I want the Vegan version of cars, no matter what level.;) And I want heated/cooled seats.

Come on Chevy,,, some Bolt improvements are needed to stay in the game.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
At least it's water cooled. Noticed they had dysfunctional charger problems too. Can't see the appeal of that techno music, that's all he had. Some neat gizmos. Size wise, all my parking facilities are small so a mid to full size vehicle would be from extremely tight to no go. What counts is what's on the inside and how it's laid out. I don't sleep in my car, I have a house for that. When I'm traveling, if I can afford an EV, I can afford an Airbnb.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to someone from Korea (who's had a chance to drive the Kona EV), it doesn't have one-pedal driving. For me personally, that's a more important feature than ACC. The >100 kW charging, though... that's another story. It's very possible that the Kona EV will be the fastest charging electric vehicle on the market until the Taycan is released.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Seems like a nice option for an EV, some concerns are that the video noted the car was built for a variety of power trains and thus has a longer nose than an EV needs to have. This pushes everything back and cramps the cabin space. They need to have a gas power plant be able to fit under that hood, that throws the rest of the design off from a pure EV perspective. Also, I see above the comment that there is no one pedal driving. That’s a dealbreaker for me if true. One of the benefits of an EV is to have that regeneration and one pedal driving dynamic. Not only for me do I find it a personal preference, I find it safer as once you lift off the accelerator regenerative braking comes into play slowing you down. I like that.

Not sure if the Kona, or even Niro if it has these same characteristics, would be a good option for me. Will reserve judgment until we know for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts