GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, I found a guest germany company they developed the same concept as we have in volt (plug in hybrid ) but using tesla model 3 , they took off the heavy battery and put only 16kwh battery and add a 220 lb (100kg) engine but this engine is amazing is a 2 cilinder Zero vibration asa generator so no engine vibration, and this generator only use 2 liter per 100km real world 117.607 MPG real

I hope you can enjoy it

cheers

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
What is it they can do that the major automakers can't?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
wow,,the packaging is awesome.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
So they are trying to sell the ICE?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Quote at the end of the first clip: We no longer worry about the environment, packaging, and cost!

I suppose if the fuel for the generator can be made "cleaner" (and this company seem intent on doing that), we will be able to "no longer worry about the environment."

Quote from the second clip: There is no mechanical connection in a serial hybrid. It is like a power plant that is standing around somewhere and generates electricity, and we do that very efficiently...

"No mechanical connection" is similar to the serial hybrid configuration of the Nissan Note e-Power car, a popular model in Japan, with the electric motor powered by a battery that is charged by a generator. A brief glance through internet links does not really indicate if this Obrist prototype has yet been configured to be plugged into the wall, or if it, like the Nissan Note e-power, is a plug-less serial hybrid (if the driver can’t control when the generator runs, and if the generator fully recharges the battery once it starts recharging, how often would using an EVSE to recharge from the wall be done anyway?)... think of a Gen 1 Volt that uses only one-motor configuration and can’t be recharged from the wall, but once the state of charge drops low enough to start the generator, the battery is fully recharged (uncertain from the video if the generator output fuels the motor in the Obrist car as it does in the Volt, or if generator output is only used to recharge the battery).

Let us compare. From the first clip:
Baseline version:
100 kW e-Drive
40 kW Zero Vibration Generator
30 l fuel tank
17.3 kWh battery.

Gen 1 Volt:
111 kW MGB motor
53 kW MGA generator
35.2 l (9.3 gallon) fuel tank
16.0/16.5/17.1 kWh battery

Which one is better engineered to drive fast up steep mountain roads?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Interesting how ahead of the times was the design of the Chevy Volt...I wonder if it will be possible to use the low carbon print methanol when available? In the real world the Volt is less contaminanting since it does not start the ICE above 65MPH!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Nope.
Not possible for a Model 3 series hybrid to get 117 MPG in gas only mode.
Keep in mind that "gas mileage" is a meaningless term for a car propelled 100% by an electric motor. How do you measure such gas mileage? Distance driven when the generator is running divided by gas used? Distance driven on the recharged battery power divided by gas used to recharge that battery? Distance driven during the time in which the generator burns one gallon of gas?

What about this. A generator burns gas to generate a certain amount of usable electrical output (converts the energy content of gas into the energy content of electricity). You can’t convert gas into electricity without losing some energy content in the conversion process, but what if you had a generator capable of 87% conversion efficiency, i.e., burning 1 Ge of gas produced 0.87 Ge of usable electricity?

The internet tells me: "Tesla Model 3 with the new Standard Range Plus battery pack is pushing the efficiency of the vehicle to a new high of 134 MPGe — making it one of the most efficient vehicles ever..."

So if I burn 1 Ge of gas (1 gallon) in my highly efficient generator, I obtain 0.87 Ge of usable electric output. That Tesla Model 3 is capable of driving 134 miles using 1 Ge of fuel, or 117 miles using 0.87 Ge of fuel.

IOW, if the generator is sufficiently efficient, this car is getting 117 miles per gallon of gas.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Keep in mind that "gas mileage" is a meaningless term for a car propelled 100% by an electric motor. ...
IOW, if the generator is sufficiently efficient, this car is getting 117 miles per gallon of gas.
Nope.
No series hybrid when measured in Series Hybrid Mode gets anywhere near that number, let alone one as heavy as a Tesla M3.
Why would this number be more than twice what a Volt gets while driving in this mode?
Not sure how this would be measured in something like this hacked M3,
but a 'gas use only' test can not show that number.

Look at the few series hybrids there are. I can't think of many.
Maybe the BMW i3 REX when operating only on gas. That's a light weight PHEV, and when the gasser is running is strictly a Series Hybrid, unlike the Volt which can be a Parallel Hybrid in one of its modes.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
methanol is a food ?

·
Registered
542 Posts
No ,it is not food,it has only one carbon in its formula , with low carbon print , produced from sea water and solar energy is less contaminating than the mining of rare minerals like lithium.

·
Registered
210 Posts
"Zero" vibration? nope. These are still nothing different than a typical parallel twin four stroke for vibration, despite having counter-rotating cranks.
Both pistons are moving, and then stopping (at TDC and BDC) at the same time. This leads to a vertical harmonic as the energy (pistons and part of the crank mass times the piston's instantaneous linear speed) go from zero at TDC and BDC to maximum halfway through the stroke.
There will also be a lateral harmonic due to the side-to-side rocking action as one cylinder fires, but not the other, then one rotation later the other fires, but not the first.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts