GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some sharp eyed members of the Corvette Forum have noticed that the fuses listed in the 2020 owners manual shows a fuse for pedestrian alert and another for a lithium ion battery module. If you download the 2020 Corvette Owner's manual, the fuses are discussed on page 245.

Just my speculation, but my guess is the hybrid system will be used to harvest kinetic energy through regenerative braking into a small lithium ion battery. This energy could then be used to power electric motors on the front wheels to boost performance. The pedestrian alert indicates that the Corvette will be capable of electric only propulsion, but the lack of any discussion of a plug means that capability will be minimal.

This might be similar to Formula 1 race cars which can harvest up to 2 megajoules of kinetic and thermal energy to power a 160 HP electric motor for around 30 seconds. One difference could be the energy storage module. F1 uses ultra capacitors which can charge and discharge much faster than lithium ion batteries.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I think they are on to something.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The frame has space for a battery, and it's speculated that the supercar C8 will have electric front drive. Something like 700 HP ICE at the rear and 300 up front for 1000 hp.
OTOH, the stock C8 does 0-60 in 3, tops out at 194 mph, and has an EPA rating of 27 on the highway. Good enough for me. Who wants a silent Corvette?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The frame has space for a battery, and it's speculated that the supercar C8 will have electric front drive. Something like 700 HP ICE at the rear and 300 up front for 1000 hp.
OTOH, the stock C8 does 0-60 in 3, tops out at 194 mph, and has an EPA rating of 27 on the highway. Good enough for me. Who wants a silent Corvette?
Everyone wanted a 918, P1 and LaFerrari... Those work the same way this corvette will I’d imagine.

I have a buddy with a NSX and he loves the full EV mode to leave his neighborhood silently and other times you’d want to calm things down a little bit while having a nice loud exhaust for those times you want it.

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
another for a lithium ion battery module. If you download the 2020 Corvette Owner's manual, the fuses are discussed on page 245.
Start-Stop usage? --- ie. shut engine off at stoplights

1 - 5 of 5 Posts