GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my Gen I Volt's I could see the HVAC Heat/AC ICON's change when one or BOTH were in use. Can I see the same thing on a Gen II?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
On my Gen I Volt's I could see the HVAC Heat/AC ICON's change when one or BOTH were in use. Can I see the same thing on a Gen II?
If it is on the Gen 2, I have not been able to find it either. My guess is there were too many of us complaining about the A/C & Heat running at the same time and/or switching itself on and off frequently, so they removed the icons.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is on the Gen 2, I have not been able to find it either. My guess is there were too many of us complaining about the A/C & Heat running at the same time and/or switching itself on and off frequently, so they removed the icons.
Funny, that's kind of what I was thinking.....but I do love the traditional HVAC controls. That was a major improvement for me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Can you leave the AC off even though you have a cabin temp set higher than the car? I should explain...my biggest pet peeve about the climate controls is on cool days during the fall or spring. If the sun is shining the interior temp might be 76 degrees, but my CC setting is 70 or 72. I want to keep that interior warmth for a while, not cool down the interior immediately to 72 using the AC. In my Bimmer, with a single switch the AC is either on or off. Perfect. On those days, the car stays warm for a while, and when it cools down with driving, the heat will come on as needed and I don't have to do anything (because the AC wasn't turned on in the first place). With my Gen 1 Volt, I have to fiddle around with screens and menus, turn the CC to fan only, then when I start feeling cool, go in again and turn it ECO. I want an AC on/off switch. Is there one in the Gen 2?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Can you leave the AC off even though you have a cabin temp set higher than the car? I should explain...my biggest pet peeve about the climate controls is on cool days during the fall or spring. If the sun is shining the interior temp might be 76 degrees, but my CC setting is 70 or 72. I want to keep that interior warmth for a while, not cool down the interior immediately to 72 using the AC. In my Bimmer, with a single switch the AC is either on or off. Perfect. On those days, the car stays warm for a while, and when it cools down with driving, the heat will come on as needed and I don't have to do anything (because the AC wasn't turned on in the first place). With my Gen 1 Volt, I have to fiddle around with screens and menus, turn the CC to fan only, then when I start feeling cool, go in again and turn it ECO. I want an AC on/off switch. Is there one in the Gen 2?
Even with the AC off and in Fan only mode the AC may turn on to cool the battery if necessary. IF the fan is blowing it will blow cool air. The only way to keep the cool air out of the cabin in that situation is to have the fan off.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The Gen 2 choices are auto (eco or max) fan only, or fan OFF.(OFF is what you want to preserve stored cabin heat. I use the setting all the time in the cool evening)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to see the point where BOTH heat and AC are being blended to satisfy my desired temp. Example I started off on Eco at 70 degrees and it got cloudy and the cabin got too cold for my wife, so I turned up the temp to 74 and she still complained so I bumped it to 75 and suddenly BOTH ICON's (Heat and AC) came on together and I could see a higher draw on the battery, so I dropped it back to 74 and sure enough the HEAT ICON goes off.

There is a point where you can cause the system to USE BOTH systems and it would be nice to see that if you are keen on managing energy consumption as many of us are prone to do.

It's not possible on the Gen II aside from watching the power gauge.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In general I've found the temperature control to be pretty lousy in the Volt. In the winter the heat never got us very warm, and in the summer the desired temperature is often way off - sometimes it makes it too cold, sometimes not cool enough. I think I was spoiled - my previous vehicle was a Lexus ES300h, and it had fantastic temperature control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts