GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even know if this is considered a modification but the car does have A/C Afterblow in it's logic but from the factory it's turned off.

Unfortunately the only way to enable this is with GDS2 or and advanced scan tool.

It's found in the HVAC module settings.

Text Line Screenshot Font Parallel

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yes, it has been mentioned that the dealer can enable it for you. I would love to get it. I have no idea what they would charge me for it, but I am sure it would be too much. I wish there were a DIY way to activate without buying a multi-hundred dollar tool.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Yes, it has been mentioned that the dealer can enable it for you. I would love to get it. I have no idea what they would charge me for it, but I am sure it would be too much. I wish there were a DIY way to activate without buying a multi-hundred dollar tool.
I got it done on my 2012 Volt. You need to have it done within your b2b warranty period, otherwise it will cost $$$.

Basically, if you've been using your A/C and then shut off the car, the "afterblow" feature will turn on the fans in the car for a period of time after it is shut off (assuming whatever temperature/humidity conditions are met) to aid in removing moisture that's still in the system. So supposedly it will help prevent your HVAC from getting gunked up with mildew/stink etc...

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
^ good tip. That time is over for me, but it might help many others. If you live in a humid area, I think it is well worth it. A/C funk is common, and possibly more so on a car that runs the AC to cool the battery even when you may have it turned off for cabin cooling purposes.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
^ good tip. That time is over for me, but it might help many others. If you live in a humid area, I think it is well worth it. A/C funk is common, and possibly more so on a car that runs the AC to cool the battery even when you may have it turned off for cabin cooling purposes.
I think literally, all it does is blow the fans (no heat/AC) on high for a few minutes. I've heard it activate a couple of times during hot summer days. So it won't use much energy at all.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Call your local dealership and ask them if they will enable the afterblow for .5 (half hour) of labor time. It takes a tech less then 5 minutes to do the work but they will want to charge 1.0 hour. You may find a GM dealer willing to do it for less, does not have to be a Chevy dealer or a Volt tech to do this, any tech or GM dealer can do this.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I used to do a manual version of this with previous cars. Just click off the A/C button a minute before reaching your destination. That doesn't work so well in the Volt because we don't have full manual control over the AC compressor.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

WOT posted the relevant GM service bulletin #99-01-39-004 regarding Afterblow setting several years back.

AFAIK: Enabling/Disabling Afterblow seems to be the only configurable GDS2 'setting' accessible that remains held in memory/NVRAM after disconnecting GDS2 or even removing 12V AGM battery power.

Having this enabled on my Gen1, the blower seems to engage for @30Sec at a much lowered speed (not running 100%) occuring after about 10min of the Volt being off. It does repeat this @30sec ON then 10min OFF duty cycle for about 5 iterations before ending.

My experience is having afterblow enabled or disabled has no noticeable corresponding effect on the remaining battery charge level of my Gen1 after being driven then parked for several hours while not plugged in and charging.

BTW: Quick glance in GDS2 shows afterblow setting is not only avail for both Gen1 & Gen2 Volts but the 2017 Bolt as well!;)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

WOT posted the relevant GM service bulletin #99-01-39-004 regarding Afterblow setting several years back.

AFAIK: Enabling/Disabling Afterblow seems to be the only configurable GDS2 'setting' accessible that remains held in memory/NVRAM after disconnecting GDS2 or even removing 12V AGM battery power.

Having this enabled on my Gen1, the blower seems to engage for @30Sec at a much lowered speed (not running 100%) occuring after about 10min of the Volt being off. It does repeat this @30sec ON then 10min OFF duty cycle for about 5 iterations before ending.

My experience is having afterblow enabled or disabled has no noticeable corresponding effect on the remaining battery charge level of my Gen1 after being driven then parked for several hours while not plugged in and charging.

BTW: Quick glance in GDS2 shows afterblow setting is not only avail for both Gen1 & Gen2 Volts but the 2017 Bolt as well!;)
Nice find! I'll have to bug my dealer about the afterblow update next time I go to get my tires rotated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anyone in the Marysville area wants it done I could do it for $40. I gotta recoup the cost of my tools one way or the other.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Seems like a good idea on a car so full of system modules and electronics as humidity and heat are the enemies of electronics.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Ask your dealership to do it when the car is in for it's first oil change. All you have to do to get this done is to complain about intermittent dirty sock smell when you start your A/C.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
afterblow turn on or off app for andriod uses obdlink mx bluetooth adapter I will update to support generic adapters soonhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myvoltapp.MyVoltAfterblow
Brian, thank you so much for this! I tried to install the app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet, but it wouldn't even let me download it. It said incompatible with your device. Any idea why? It's the same tablet I use with MyGreenVolt and Torque with no problems. I ended up borrowing a friend's Android phone and using your app on that. It worked great!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts