GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to see what kind of lead time people experienced when having their HV traction battery replaced in the past. About a week ago, my 2013 volt threw DTC P1E00 and P0BBE for the second time. I brought it to the dealer for investigation and they found that 1 of the 3 HV cells had failed and a second was showing low numbers. My service adviser stated that in the past, it is not uncommon for it to take up to 4 weeks to obtain a replacement cell. Currently my car is pending a response from GM on whether they will replace the defective cells or the entire battery pack. I was curious to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and what the time to repair was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry that you've had this occur. It's a module replacement rather than a cell replacement. A reasonably large piece. We haven't seen enough of these to have a large enough sample size for a decent estimate of the time, and I doubt your dealer has either. The failure rate for the cells (not the module) is about two per million. I suspect he just tossed out an estimate far enough out to set your expectations. Did you get a loaner?
My adviser stated that they have done 1 module replacement per month for the past 4 months and that my car would be the first with 2 bad modules. I do have a loaner currently but have not received any definitive time frame for the repair. I'm hoping to hear something from the SA today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious: can you still drive the car with a bad cell? Error codes aside, it would be nice to be able to use the car until the parts arrive.
With my car, it set the code while charging at a public charging station. I assumed there was some sort of issue with the station itself which triggered the code so I went ahead and cleared them. About 2 weeks after, the codes reappeared while charging at home on my Siemens Level 2 station so I decided it was best to have the dealer take a look. Other than reduced EV range, the car seemed to drive just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So just an update to this post, it took a total of 7 weeks for GM to provide the replacement cell. Even though 2 cells tested bad, only 1 was replaced. As many of you know, there is no longer a Volt adviser team and GM customer care was basically useless in the matter. After being stuck with a Silverado work truck loaner (17 MPG!) with no answer from GM on when the replacement parts will arrive the entire time, I am very disappointed with GM customer care. After owning several GM products including several corvette's and corvette Z06's, I believe this will be the end of the line for me. While the Volt is a great car, the GM customer service experience is atrocious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.