GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I’d share our recent repair for anybody that’s interested and because I couldn’t find mention of a P1E57 fault code anywhere.

A little over a week ago when my wife was driving the Volt (2017 Premier), the CEL came on and the battery SOC and GOM started freaking out (back and forth between full charge to no charge, 50 miles to zero). At this point the generator came on and my wife was able to continue driving the car home.

When I got a chance to look at it, the symptoms included the messages:
“Action required: shift to park”
“Service high voltage battery”
“Unable to charge”

The 12V battery was low (I think around 11.8V)
Using Hold mode, opening the hood, etc. would not start the generator.
The car also wouldn’t turn off (the system kept rebooting when I would press the Start button). The only way to turn the car off was to disconnect the 12V battery.

OnStar reported the fault codes P1E100 and P1E57 and said the car needed to be serviced in one day.

The car was towed to Bozarth Chevrolet (thanks for the recommendation obermd) where they removed the “battery assembly and inspected cell 44 on battery section 3 per TSB 18-NA-330”, which was determined to be malfunctioning.

It took a week for the battery to come in but we’re up and running again. The dealership gave me a new Chevy Traverse as a loaner that averaged 18 mpg no matter how carefully I drove it. Needless to say, I couldn’t wait to get the Volt back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
So far so good on the repair. The only potentially negative change I’ve noticed since getting the car back is that the battery only used 13.9 kWh before the engine came on (previously would use around 14.2). I realize this is only about a 1 to 1-1\2 mile difference in range but I’m hoping this was either an anomaly or a normal variation that I haven’t noticed before.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
So far so good on the repair. The only potentially negative change I’ve noticed since getting the car back is that the battery only used 13.9 kWh before the engine came on (previously would use around 14.2). I realize this is only about a 1 to 1-1\2 mile difference in range but I’m hoping this was either an anomaly or a normal variation that I haven’t noticed before.
This varies a bit, at least it always has for me. Had my 2017 for 2 years now. Pretty sure the car's kick over point is not entirely consumption based, I think most of it is voltage based. And I believe this to be true because of what I have observed my car doing. During the colder months it will kick over anywhere from 13.8 to 14.1 used. But in the warmer months it will trend back towards 14.0-14.4. I have actually seen it go up to 14.6 once in the summer.

Cold temps typically mean slight voltage sag in most battery chemistries, thus pack capacity can very ever so slightly.

Additionally, any time they replace the battery or sections of it, the BMS, or program/reset any modules to do with battery management there is usually a re-learn period where the controllers have to "learn" the pack limits again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just had the same thing happen to me this morning. In addition to your issues the charge meter went from full to zero and then fluctuated up and down while driving to the dealer. Dealer told me probably not under warranty on my 2017 VOLT and I'd have to pay $56/day for loaner car. I left the dealer to do research before I take it to a different dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts