GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live here in Puerto Rico since 1962 and I have been through several hurricanes and tropical storms with little damages or losses. My home at Valle Verde, Bayamon (ten miles west of San Juan), is a two-story reinforced concrete structure with louver (Miami) style aluminum windows, so it can support even the 150+ wind forces. I have other one-and two-story homes around me so I have some shielding. I am at least 35 feet above sea level, and the closest water front is toward the North (Levittown Beach) about two miles away from the Atlantic Ocean. But we have two excellent drainage systems, both being major rivers that are channeled with concrete walls straight toward the ocean. My only worry are the several trees that will lose their leaves and some branches, especially my lemon tree. It has released over 120 ripe lemons and still holds over 40 more, but the strong winds may blow them off.

My 2009 Chevy Equinox is parked in a covered concrete carport with only one wall but that wall is part of the home structure. The open carport faces west, but the winds come in from the east and later north, so it will never suffer any harm as the home structure will shield it. Most of my neighbors have covered their carports with garage doors, so they have extra protection.

The local government has prepared itself, activating all its emergency services, and some cities and towns did rubble cleanup and drainage maintenance to prevent flying debris and flooding. Most of the businesses have done their part, covering windows and cleaning up their exteriors. As this moment (around 8:20 AM) we just have a slight cloud cover and a bright Sun! We are now in the calm before the storm.

Follow us up on "The Weather Channel" which has local reporters here in San Juan (one is near the Caribe Hilton hotel). We have survive past storms and we will survive Irma and Jose!

·
Registered
224 Posts
We were narrowly missed by Harvey and have been helping others not so fortunate; the damage is astounding. Those 130mph winds picked up anything and hurled it with tremendous force so anything outside like cars took a pounding. 180mph sustained? This is going to be a major blow!

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I wish you and your fellow Peurto Ricans the best in the coming storm and it's aftermath. I imagine it will leave a large amount of damage in its wake. Take care.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I love that your only concern are your lemons. That speaks to your resolve and fearlessness. I would probably be in an absolute panic right now. Godspeed, we'll keep you in our thoughts.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Good luck. Two things I've heard on the news recently is a hurricane like this hasn't hit Puerto Rico in about a hundred years and the electrical infrastructure is fragile and some places could be off line for months. Hopefully it won't be that bad.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck. Two things I've heard on the news recently is a hurricane like this hasn't hit Puerto Rico in about a hundred years and the electrical infrastructure is fragile and some places could be off line for months. Hopefully it won't be that bad.
At this moment (11:10 AM) we lost power. I have a genset and various UPS backups, so I can still live well. But we just got hit by a few of the rain bands (no winds yet), so we continue to watch the local and cable news.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Raymondjram - from your description of your home, sounds like it is equipped built to withstand strong hurricanes. Heard this morning on TV that in case of a power outage, some locales may be without electricity for months.

At least you have some warning when a hurricane is approaching. Here we have very little warning when an earthquake strikes. Only things I can do is stock up with some essential supplies, shore up the structure of the house and buy earthquake insurance. Keep safe and wishing you the best in the up coming days.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Stay safe!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I was fortunate to be able to spend a week in PR earlier this year vacationing. My wife and I were really impressed with the beauty and diversity of the island, and the friendly people. I hope you are spared the worst of the storm. Fortunately, you are not in one of the more remote areas. I hope your services will be restored and life back to normal quickly. Keep us posted on your situation.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Stay safe man!

Too bad you didn't have a Volt/Bolt that could be used to power 120V appliances while your power is out. GM really needs to make them available...at least for you!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
With 185 mph sustained winds and gust to well over 200 mph I believe those winds approach that of a upper end tornado and with a longer duration I don't see many structures standing to that tremendous pounding unless they are fortified to near vault standards.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Raymond, our thoughts and prayers are with you. I've been wondering how you are doing and it seems you are well prepared. We hope you and your island will come out of this as best as possible.

For those who wish to see what Raymond is going through, here is a live web cam:
http://www.cnn.com/specials/live-video-1

Edit: looks like the web cam feed has been lost, and CNN has switched it to the Virgin Islands. Here is the real link (I think) which shows it unavailable:
http://www.earthcam.com/cams/puertorico/sanjuan/?cam=sanjuan1

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Raymond, our thoughts and prayers are with you. I've been wondering how you are doing and it seems you are well prepared. We hope you and your island will come out of this as best as possible.

For those who wish to see what Raymond is going through, here is a live web cam:
http://www.cnn.com/specials/live-video-1
That Earth Cam seems to be installed at the rear lot of one of the San Juan hotels, facing north toward the Atlantic Ocean. I am guessing because I know some of the hotels and it seems recognizable.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Take care.

Make sure your generator is well protected. There have been many instances where the backups didn't make it either. Witness the chemical plants in Houston as an example.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Good luck man! My brother, who lives in Houston, took a beating and keeps on ticking. :)

Irma sure looks like a monster. Double whammy with Jose to back her up.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My only worry are the several trees that will lose their leaves and some branches, especially my lemon tree. It has released over 120 ripe lemons and still holds over 40 more, but the strong winds may blow them off. !
I hope you make it through this and can make lemonade out of those lemons.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts