GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me 2017 Volt is surprisingly quiet. The only exception is when i'm on the highway traveling over 60mph, a humming noise begins and gets louder the faster speed I travel. The pitch of the noise does not change, just the volume. It's a humming sound with no noticeable vibration or wobble. It's definitely not a tire noise. Is this a normal sound? Possibly a wheel bearing going out? The noise fades away as I slow back down below 60. Braking or decelerating while above 60 does not make the sound change. Thanks in advance for any info. I'm loving the car, but the charging is somewhat painfully slow (15+hours from zero range at 45-50 degrees temp). I am debating the 220 charger, but the location is not ideal. ✌

2017 Chevy Volt Premier 35,000miles

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the most plausible explanation is wheel bearings ... especially since the noise gets louder. Fortunately, this is a fairly easy thing to check out ... and any shop can do it in under an hour (or you can check it yourself if you're handy. Has it had this noise since you bought it? If it suddenly appeared, then I would definitely expect wheel bearings. The other thing you might do is have somebody listen from OUTSIDE the car to see if they can detect the sound at lower speeds and determine what part of the car it's coming from ... that might help you narrow it down as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I would rotate the tires anyway, just to eliminate the possibility of it being the tire. Easy troubleshooting move.

Reactions: flyguycali
1 - 3 of 3 Posts