GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one of the photos of the 2016 Volt, there is something on the top of the dash that looks curiously like a HUD option that may be available on the vehicle. That would certainly be a nice feature.

As you can see to where the arrow points, this may be the HUD projection unit. Or could it be simply some sort of defroster or light sensor? ;)

For those of you not familiar with what a HUD is, it's a Head-Up Display—a transparent display that presents data in the automobile without requiring drivers to look away from their usual viewpoints. The origin of the name stems from a pilot being able to view information with the head positioned "up" and looking forward, instead of angled down looking at lower instruments.

Here's an article about HUD in cars: Top 5 HUDs in Modern Cars

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
ELR has this. It displays a series of red lights (yes, HUD) when approaching something too fast. I've had this happen several times when ACC fails to stop the car when losing radar lock. It was very low speed, so, I had plenty of time to stop.

ELR is supposed to apply brakes to 'lessen the severity of crashes', but, I have not seen this happen. I'm not testing it out either! See below quotes from the owner's manual. If the radar/camera does not detect a vehicle ahead, neither of these will work.

Page 9-50
Forward Collision Alert
(FCA) System

The FCA system may help to avoid
or reduce the harm caused by
front-end crashes. When
approaching a vehicle ahead too
quickly, FCA provides a red flashing
alert on the windshield and rapidly
beeps or pulses the driver seat.
FCA also lights an amber visual
alert if following another vehicle
much too closely.
FCA detects vehicles within a
distance of approximately 60m
(197 ft) and operates at speeds
above 40 km/h (25 mph). If the
vehicle has Adaptive Cruise Control
(ACC), it can detect vehicles to
distances of approximately 110m
(360 ft) and operates at all speeds.

Page 9-52
Active Emergency
Braking System

If the vehicle has Adaptive Cruise
Control (ACC) it also has the Active
Emergency Braking System, which
includes the Automatic Collision
Preparation (ACP) System. These
systems can automatically brake the
vehicle to help avoid or lessen the
severity of crashes.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
My 1995 Buick Regal had a HUD option because the Service Manuals cover it. I saw the HUD on a Cadillac, and you see a small portion of the windshield with a very thin frost. That is the area where the HUD projects the image. It may be some aluminum particles susoended in the plastic layer of the windshield. You can hardly see it directly from the driver seat, but from outside at an anlge it is visible.

Watch this youTube image and you can see the HUD area on the windshield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E1uTgVTjn4

So the HUD isn't new and not exclusive for the Chevy Volt. Buick and Cadillac had it first under GM. Read more here:
http://www.buiclub.com/info-872.html

Raymond

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put HUD in your car now...

So the HUD isn't new and not exclusive for the Chevy Volt. Buick and Cadillac had it first.
BMW has had HUD available for years. There are also HUD devices for motorcycle helmets. Google Glass uses similar technology. Finally, (most) anyone can put a HUD in their car today using Navdy...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had a HUD on my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. it was pretty basic, but I do miss it in the Volt.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Yes, it surely looks like a HUD projector window. Nice find... I have never seen this picture before, o have not noticed the HUD.
And yes it would be awesome if the Gen2 would have it :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Every gadget they can add lessens my dislike of this Kia Forte looking Volt!

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Having owned Corvette's since 1998 with a HUD I love them. Especially the new version in my 2014 Stingray. And yes that is a HUD projector.

·
Registered
152 Posts
On the pictures of the new head unit in the 2016 Volt there is a HUD Settings option, as well as what looks like the HUD "hole" in the dash of the models they had visiting the car shows.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can pretty much get a hud now. Get an iphone/ipod, download 'EngineLink'. Get an ODB II connection (LE Bluetooth), run engine link on iphone with landscape locked.

Use 2 sided tape on the upper dash, so the screen shows on the window. Looks pretty good in evening or dark

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I had a HUD on my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. it was pretty basic, but I do miss it in the Volt.
Me too ('89 TGP). I'm surprised they have not become a safety requirement. You cannot say you didn't know how fast you were going nor that you were running out of gas or that your turn signals or highbeam lights were one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts