GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody,

I haven't been on here for a while, but I wanted to let everybody that HPTuners now supports tuning for the VOLT.

Please understand that I am NOT affiliated with HPTuners, I am not here trying to sell. This is just to share with the community!

Background story:

About a year ago I contacted HPTuners asking them if they would be willing to support our car, and they asked me to read the tune off the car. I already own the tuner anyways which I use to tune my vette and other GM cars so that was a breeze. I was able to read the PCM with the software considering it uses the same ECM as the Chevy Cruze 1.4T. About a month ago I heard back from their support team that the car is being supported now which was pleasant news to me and wanted to share it with you guys on here so you know we have an extra option for tuning.

First Impressions:

Just by looking at the tune file and the tables available for modifications, it seems very promising. There are much much more tables that we have control over compared to EFI Live. I am by no means a professional tuner so I wouldn't be able to tell you the effect of modifying every table there. However I was hoping for some people who have been tuning the Volt for a while to chime in here and share feedback :p

HPTuner's Price:

The suite costs $499 and it includes 8 credits which which can be used to tune 4 cars independently, Compared to EFI Live which costs $899 for two cars. You can tell that HPTuners is the better deal to go with here. Those prices are for new packages, used are always cheaper.

I will be uploading my stock tune to the HPTuners repository, meanwhile if any tuners out there need the tune file for it let me know.

http://www.hptuners.com/

Thanks!

Some screenshots I took on my computer from the tune file, just some:

·
Registered
13,941 Posts
What am I missing here? The Volt runs off the electric motors powered by the battery. The gas motor turns a generator keep the electricity flowing when the battery is depleted or when the user selects a different mode. Only under certain circumstances is there power going from the gas engine to the wheels, but it really is mostly powered by the electric motors. So why add more HP to the gas motor? It really won't help the car go much faster at all. What's next, adding 3 inch pipe, a fart can, glowing neon lights underneath, cold air intake, a turbo, big booming bass subwoofer, and one of those giant bolt-on wings to the back so I can look and sound like a ricer boy? I don't think so. I like my near silence.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What am I missing here? The Volt runs off the electric motors powered by the battery. The gas motor turns a generator keep the electricity flowing when the battery is depleted or when the user selects a different mode. Only under certain circumstances is there power going from the gas engine to the wheels, but it really is mostly powered by the electric motors. So why add more HP to the gas motor? It really won't help the car go much faster at all. What's next, adding 3 inch pipe, a fart can, glowing neon lights underneath, cold air intake, a turbo, big booming bass subwoofer, and one of those giant bolt-on wings to the back so I can look and sound like a ricer boy? I don't think so. I like my near silence.
I use HP tuners. It is a powerful program. While you may not be able to tune a Volt in a traditional sense, certain level of tuning might still be possible. I am speculating here but it may be possible to adjust the ERDTT behavior. This is just an example. It all depends of the tables that are available for editing.

·
Registered
827 Posts
llninja, my guess is if the ICE can be tuned for better HP and efficiency, then it could recharge better while running less or using less gas. Wild guess.

Meedo, do you know what, specifically, can be tuned? Is it merely the ICE component of the Volt, or can it also modify EV parameters? Or, perhaps like W4M or Trifecta's?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
P T Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute." , all this does it lighten the load of your pocket.

Playing with the ICE does absolutely nothing. If GM could get better mileage and meet all regulatory approvals and fuel grade requirements it would come from the factory that way, anything else does zip for the ELECTRIC drive ...

No one, as in EVER has improved the performance of the Volt, as few trolls looking to sell crap have come and gone, but not once proved anything they claimed in the 4 years I have been here

·
Registered
474 Posts
Has anyone ever put a volt on a dyno? Good dyno time is the only way you could even begin to look for improvement.

Bottom line tho... If foot to the floor = 111kw from the motor... There's NOTHING that can be done to improve that.

BUT... I don't think GM did it that way... I think GM treats it like a "soft start", where there's a set limit of "ramp up"time before the motor will go full output.

THIS would be the only parameter that would make a difference... ONLY dyno time could map that, and time it to see if any benefit could be derived by shortening it.

There's no "sooping up" an electric motor.

The controller may have some room... But I bet not much without risking the motors longevity.

Sent from the bushes... Outside your bedroom window...

·
2,358 Posts
It is not something I would want for my car, but I've seen evidence here that tunes from wait4meperformace and Bad News Racing can add some performance. From the few people that have posted their impressions here, it seems to work.

The additional power comes from combining the output from the battery with the output from the engine beyond the limits set in the stock setup. Just an enhancement of the improved 0-60 times you get in Hold mode.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Some of you are hilarious. You all are claiming there's no way to increase output from the electric motor:
There's no "sooping up" an electric motor
nor the ICE motor
Playing with the ICE does absolutely nothing. If GM could get better mileage and meet all regulatory approvals and fuel grade requirements it would come from the factory that way
And you guys say this when there's a car on sale at Cadillac dealers right now that does both of these things.

An ELR has higher electric motor output and ICE motor output from an IDENTICAL POWERTRAIN. But yeah, totally impossible to ever get the same out of a Volt- snake oil salesmen!!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Actually playing with the ICE absolutely does do something. It has additional power to be tapped and this exists today. If you want physical proof of this, it's available at select Cadillac dealers.
You're implying that the 111kw for the motor is not supplied by the battery?

If the rated 111kw is all the motor can do. And that power is able to be fully drawn from the battery.... The ice will do nothing.

If the battery can't "keep up" with the draws from the motor... Or if GM rated the motor (111kw) based on what three battery could supply (implying there's more that the motor could deliver)... Then the ice could play a role.

Dyno?? Anybody??

But dynos are not conclusive... Actual, diagnostic dyno time to map the volts behavior under controlled conditions... Then apply changes to chart their effect is the only way we'll know for sure.

Until then, any claims are unsubstantiated BS, and my money remains in my pocket.

Edit:

And no... There is no way to "soup up" the motor... It is built with a specific amount of windings... Any improvement to its operation had to come from the controller (vfd or pwm controller)... The actual device that varied the electric frequency (AC vfd drive) or the pulse width (DC pwm drive).

The motor itself is fixed, and cannot do more than its magnetic field will allow.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
We seem to have a new player in the Volt tuning game. Let me throw out one number from a recent thread (I'll look it up if you doubt me):
4% of Volt owners care a lot about 0-60 time. Most Volt owners care about EV range.

Can HP Tuners look at using some of the HV battery's reserve capacity to improve EV range? Can they at least tell us they can't do it and why?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Nice to know we are electronically speed limited to 256 mph.

How about a 87 octane tune?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I understand that you can alter/remove torque limiters. We've previously seen that there's a pretty gentle ramp up when you floor it. Simply changing that will make the car quicker.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The motor itself is fixed, and cannot do more than its magnetic field will allow..
You're assuming it's running at 100% capacity in the Volt. The ELR proves it is not.

For years, everyone suspected that the Volt was very, very conservatively engineered- totally understandable given what was on the line if GM put out an unreliable vehicle. So they erred on the side of bulletproof. With the ELR, they had years of field experience with the powertrain, and knew more about the tolerances of what the various components could do, so they used SOFTWARE to increase draw from the battery, increase power from the electric motor, and increase output of the ICE. There's no reason to think that the Volt couldn't run similar outputs.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
You tuner heads just don't get it, no one has ever managed to modify the computer code that regulates the current to the electric motor. Sure GM can do it, that's not the issue, no one other than GM has in close to 4 years on the market.

Showing a program from 2004 for shift points just goes to show some idiot will pony up 499.00 buck thinking any change to the ice can improve 0-60 time, sorry folks, its code limited and no one has the encryption to read / decrypt modify and reload the modules necessary in the Volt to make such a change expect GM

Its the same old story, some posts it can be done without proof, we post it has never been done, the gear head say its done all the time but not once,as in ever has it been proved someone can do the code changes necessary

·
Registered
474 Posts
You're assuming it's running at 100% capacity in the Volt. The ELR proves it is not.

For years, everyone suspected that the Volt was very, very conservatively engineered- totally understandable given what was on the line if GM put out an unreliable vehicle. So they erred on the side of bulletproof. With the ELR, they had years of field experience with the powertrain, and knew more about the tolerances of what the various components could do, so they used SOFTWARE to increase draw from the battery, increase power from the electric motor, and increase output of the ICE. There's no reason to think that the Volt couldn't run similar outputs.
Not assuming anything.... The motor is not physically capable of doing more than its magnetic field will allow.

In my post, you'll see I pretty much agreed with everything you said after that. If GM was conservative in the volt, it's possible to tap into that.

The ramp times, and current limiting are the only two areas that will affect performance tho. Which have absolutely nothing to do with the physical motors performance capabilities... You're just removing the restrictions to its performance.

It will take a lot more than simple tuning on a but dyno to do it tho.

Having said that... Given GMs history of under rating things, I am now, real curious as to the true, max physically possible, kw and torque rating of the motor.

·
2,358 Posts
I understand that you can alter/remove torque limiters. We've previously seen that there's a pretty gentle ramp up when you floor it. Simply changing that will make the car quicker.
Exactly - that appears to be where some tuners have had success - removing limiters. All the traditional tuner stuff playing with air-fuel ratios and ignition timing and such isn't going to help.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You tuner heads just don't get it, no one has ever managed to modify the computer code that regulates the current to the electric motor. Sure GM can do it, that's not the issue, no one other than GM has in close to 4 years on the market.

Showing a program from 2004 for shift points just goes to show some idiot will pony up 499.00 buck thinking any change to the ice can improve 0-60 time, sorry folks, its code limited and no one has the encryption to read / decrypt modify and reload the modules necessary in the Volt to make such a change expect GM

Its the same old story, some posts it can be done without proof, we post it has never been done, the gear head say its done all the time but not once,as in ever has it been proved someone can do the code changes necessary
Let's separate what is possible from what is real.

I just looked and I have not found a thread here where a GM insider claimed that the Volt microcode is encrypted.

I have also not seen any tuner say that he couldn't touch a module because its microcode is encrypted.

Encryption would mean that the code must be decrypted whenever the module is active, and some modules function when the Volt is off. It would also mean that some Volt some of the time would lose functionality due to a bad key, and while modules throw codes, I never heard of a module refusing to function.

There is a method called obfuscation where intermediate code is rearranged within the compiled module to make it hard to reverse compile, but I never heard anyone finding even this in Volt microcode.

So, I just don't believe that Volt microcode is encrypted, subject to further evidence.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Not assuming anything.... The motor is not physically capable of doing more than its magnetic field will allow.
This is correct. However, motors are rated for continuous output not maximum output. Usually for short periods you can run them 2X or 3x the rated output. I think all he's saying is that for short periods the motor could put out 250-300 HP.

FWIW I don't think the motor is the issue.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Nice to know we are electronically speed limited to 256 mph.

How about a 87 octane tune?
I really would like to go 300 mph but oh well I can live with 256 mph.

As far as 87 octane for the Volt engine I tried a tank once and noticed no difference
in power or mpg's.

I am pretty sure the Volt as it is currently designed can handle 87 all the way to 100 octane gas if needed.

We still have nearly a full tank of gas in our Volt for well over two months. We buy premium as it is
only 20 cents a gallon more than 87 octane and it is known to have a longer shelve or stable life than 87.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts