GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
That feature could be programmed but not needed

I know that GM can program that feature in the Volt and add it to the TPMS, but it isn't needed. Maybe it is for drivers who can't see (driving a Volt?), can't read the manual tire pressure gauge (some have very small markings), are lazy, or are using simple air pumps for tire inflation that have no built-in gauges and don't use any manual gauges.

The majority of smart drivers know how much air pressure is required for each tire because they read the User Manual and confirm the tire pressure documented inside the driver's door panel. But, as most Volt owners have posted here, they prefer to increase the pressure a small amount which will increase their MPG or CD range, and actually increase their tire life since more pressure reduces sidewall flexing which reduces heat. The trade-off is a more harsh or bumpier ride. But if you live in an area with very good roads and highways, this trade-off isn't noticed. Therefore, if the default air pressure and beep setting isn't correct for your need, why do you want it, unless it is resettable.

A manual check of tire pressure is only needed once per week when the tires are cool or before a long drive. The effort is worth the trouble of bending or kneeling over each tire to take readings. So the extra cost of adding a beep to indicate the pressure isn't worth the added cost.

I am not mentioning the use of TPMS because in my 2009 Equinox the displayed reading never matches the real pressure reading in each tire. I only use the TPMS display to verify that the pressures aren't dropping. When I see a difference, I do a new manual check, and add air pressure where needed.

I prefer that GM added a new warning when the TPMS detects a pressure drop and displays the affected tire reading on the dash. It is better to stop and reinflate when the warning appears than to keep rolling and sense the flat while driving.

The other change is for service stations (and for personal inflation kits) to provide a settable air pump that has an integrated feedback gauge, so you just set the pressure you need, use the pump and it will stop when the pressure has been reached. What I rode bicycles in the 1960's, the local gas station had this. I have not seen this on newer pumps at service stations, but I have my own electric air pump at home (with an AC Delco label, BTW), and I personally keep the air pressures manually on all my vehicles, having TPMS or not.

Soon, Goodyear will produce tires that inflate themselves while rolling, and will completely defeat that beep feature. Why buy a Nissan at all??

·
Registered
107 Posts
It may not be "needed" but I agree with PowerTrip, it would be nice to have. I've got gauges, but the problem is having to switch back and forth between the gauge and the compressor never knowing when you are getting close to your target pressure. Just a pain and time consuming. If the car is monitoring the pressure anyway, why not just have it tell you when you get there. You can confirm with the manual gauge just to make sure, but it sure would save a bunch of iterations.

Again, not life or death, but it sure looks convenient.

·
Registered
743 Posts
It would not work for me. My tire pressure reading from the tire pressure system are about 5 pounds below the actual tire pressure as measured by my calibrated tire pressure gauge. From what I have read here, my situation is not unique. The tire pressure sensors in all the cars I have owned, including the Volt, have been are inaccurate and therefore this horn sounding feature would similarly be inaccurate.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I prefer that GM added a new warning when the TPMS detects a pressure drop and displays the affected tire reading on the dash. It is better to stop and reinflate when the warning appears than to keep rolling and sense the flat while driving.
Unless I misunderstood your preference, the Volt does this already. I was driving down the road and I got a screw in the tire. When the pressure dropped, my car gave me a vehicle message.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Seems like a great idea if the pressure sensors are accurate enough.

When I fill my tires at home, it is quite annoying to have to connect the air compressor, guesstimate when to disconnect and check with a more accurate pressure gage, and then repeat... sometimes undershooting, sometimes overshooting. If I could just hook up the compressor once and know exactly when to disconnect, that'd be great.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The majority of smart drivers know how much air pressure is required for each tire because they read the User Manual and confirm the tire pressure documented inside the driver's door panel....
The key quantitative phrase is "majority of smart drivers". I would venture to say the the majority of regular drivers don't have a clue as to how to check tire pressure, much less how to fill a tire. The "honking" feature would help these folks quite a bit--assuming they learn how to use the air compressor at a gas station.

By the way, I don't trust the readings on the inline pressure gauge on gas station compressor hoses.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used the air compressor that comes with the Volt for the first time last weekend and really liked it. It has the pressure meter built into it so I didn't have to stop and switch to a pressure gauge and back. The machine at the gas station across from work you can program the pressure you want and it will automatically turn off at that pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you bring up your tire pressure window on the dash screen, you can monitor it as your filling your tires. The reading will go up as the air goes in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts