GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and my Volt:

I own a 2014 Holden Volt, love the car, but like most, would like a little extra range, I have a 120km daily commute the car will get me 50 to 55kms on Battery due to high speeds on the route I take. I'm currently working on having a J1772 Level 2 fitted at work, so I may only need around 20kms worth of fuel a day, probably less if I start driving like a "normal" person.

I purchased this car as I wanted to take the plunge into the EV world, this is a big step for me as I’m an old school Automotive Mechanic and I have always owned big GM based V8’s and Japanese 4x4’s, and I must say, this Volt is the nicest car I have ever owned or driven, Its handling is superb and its quieter than a Lexus LS400 which was the quietest car I had ever driven… until the Volt.

I still own a new Colorado Pickup and newish Commodore, if I could get another one of these Volt’s, I would get rid of one of the other cars (The 4x4 must stay for work reasons)

The hardest thing I must deal with is stopping my wife from stealing the car everyday as she loves it even more than me, yet when we looked at them in 2013, she wanted the Commodore instead??? go figure :)

My Vehicle:

IMG_5296.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

Mods:
  • 19” Wheels from a Holden Cruze, lost around 3 to 4kms battery range but they handle better than the factory wheels
  • Tinted Tail Lights (Got sick of seeing water leak into the outer cover, now I can’t see it at all).
  • Installed the smallest Alpine digital mono amp to drive the Bose subwoofer a little harder, also gives me some control to attenuate it without pushing the bass up on the head unit.
  • Remapped the accelerator pedal, I have replaced the “Normal” Mode with the pedal map from the “Performance” mode and I have altered the “Performance” mode to push the drive system even harder, this is mirred through to “HOLD”, “Normal Extended Range” and “Performance Extended Range”
  • Tweaked the ICE, increased the timing advance, reduced the knock retard, removed all torque management, and increased the air to fuel ratio (AFR) to help reduce fuel consumption all of this provides a significant boost in power when in “HOLD” mode as the engine at around 80kph starts assisting the drive train, feels a little like a turbo kicking in, all in all, my average fuel consumption hasn't changed, still an average of 1.8ltrs per 100kms (130mpg) over the lifetime of the vehicle.
  • Dark tinted windows
  • Painted the silver grill inserts to black as I hated those grill inserts, didn’t match the rest of the GM line here in AU, now it looks a little more like the Cruze/Commodore
  • Removed the Air-Dam, just a useless POS, did not make any noticeable difference to my range

Just some info about us poor Aussies, they only sold about 300 of these Australia wide, which probably makes it the worst selling car in history over here, I believe the main reason is price, they only release the top end version and our local government doesn't provide any incentives for green vehicles, so it was a 65k drive away car, I purchased second hand at a lot less, the car really makes sense here as we have a bugger all charging infrastructure (this is changing at the moment) and being extended range, it gives you a taste of whats to come, with the reliability of the existing infrastructure.

If they were to release the Bolt here, I would buy one today, so you Americans, enjoy the Australian designed Bolt, as we will never get the pleasure :(, Looks like I will be paying a little more the Model 3 instead.

Cheers

KFK

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hi there down under! Glad you enjoy the car. I have a 16 Volt. My other one is a Pontiac G8 (Commodore VE) which now isn't used a lot. Polar opposites. The G8 is a very different beast but really love that too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and my Volt:

I own a 2014 Holden Volt, love the car, but like most, would like a little extra range, I have a 120km daily commute the car will get me 50 to 55kms on Battery due to high speeds on the route I take. I'm currently working on having a J1772 Level 2 fitted at work, so I may only need around 20kms worth of fuel a day, probably less if I start driving like a "normal" person.

I purchased this car as I wanted to take the plunge into the EV world, this is a big step for me as I’m an old school Automotive Mechanic and I have always owned big GM based V8’s and Japanese 4x4’s, and I must say, this Volt is the nicest car I have ever owned or driven, Its handling is superb and its quieter than a Lexus LS400 which was the quietest car I had ever driven… until the Volt.

I still own a new Colorado Pickup and newish Commodore, if I could get another one of these Volt’s, I would get rid of one of the other cars (The 4x4 must stay for work reasons)

The hardest thing I must deal with is stopping my wife from stealing the car everyday as she loves it even more than me, yet when we looked at them in 2013, she wanted the Commodore instead??? go figure :)

My Vehicle:

View attachment 124993

View attachment 125001

Mods:
  • 19” Wheels from a Holden Cruze, lost around 3 to 4kms battery range but they handle better than the factory wheels
  • Tinted Tail Lights (Got sick of seeing water leak into the outer cover, now I can’t see it at all).
  • Installed the smallest Alpine digital mono amp to drive the Bose subwoofer a little harder, also gives me some control to attenuate it without pushing the bass up on the head unit.
  • Remapped the accelerator pedal, I have replaced the “Normal” Mode with the pedal map from the “Performance” mode and I have altered the “Performance” mode to push the drive system even harder, this is mirred through to “HOLD”, “Normal Extended Range” and “Performance Extended Range”
  • Tweaked the ICE, increased the timing advance, reduced the knock retard, removed all torque management, and increased the air to fuel ratio (AFR) to help reduce fuel consumption all of this provides a significant boost in power when in “HOLD” mode as the engine at around 80kph starts assisting the drive train, feels a little like a turbo kicking in, all in all, my average fuel consumption hasn't changed, still an average of 1.8ltrs per 100kms (130mpg) over the lifetime of the vehicle.
  • Dark tinted windows
  • Painted the silver grill inserts to black as I hated those grill inserts, didn’t match the rest of the GM line here in AU, now it looks a little more like the Cruze/Commodore
  • Removed the Air-Dam, just a useless POS, did not make any noticeable difference to my range

Just some info about us poor Aussies, they only sold about 300 of these Australia wide, which probably makes it the worst selling car in history over here, I believe the main reason is price, they only release the top end version and our local government doesn't provide any incentives for green vehicles, so it was a 65k drive away car, I purchased second hand at a lot less, the car really makes sense here as we have a bugger all charging infrastructure (this is changing at the moment) and being extended range, it gives you a taste of whats to come, with the reliability of the existing infrastructure.

If they were to release the Bolt here, I would buy one today, so you Americans, enjoy the Australian designed Bolt, as we will never get the pleasure :(, Looks like I will be paying a little more the Model 3 instead.

Cheers

KFK
Welcome - Nice ride! Looks like my 2012. Love those Holden front grilles :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Something else I forgot to mention, the first thing I did before all other mods, I corrected the speedo, it was 6 to 7kph under, now its +-1kph, tested against my GPS Radar and iPhone, if I over inflate the tyres, I will usually be 1k over the speed limit, and if I under inflate my tyres, I'm usually 1k under the speed limit, most Aussie cars are up -10% accurate as this is part of our ADR compliancy, but unfortunately, this can give you inaccurate trip computer data, along with racking up more milage on your car that you have actually done.

I had a Nissan Navara in the past thats was 12ks out and 100kph, you were doing 88kph and the speedo said I was doing 100kph, this got worse the faster you went, so if used a GPS and got the car up to 100kph, the odometer would be racking up and extra 12k's per hour that I didn't actually do.

Its something that everyone should do when they first get a car, just calibrate your speedo against a good GPS and keep those figures in your mind when ever you drive, or install a GPS speedo. I have altered the calibration on both my Colorado and the Volt, so the factory digital speedo is bang on correct.

Most of you guys that own Volts are not usually interested mods, but its worth paying a few hundred dollarydoo's to get your speedo corrected. (That is if your design rules are silly like ours)

Cruzed2, yes the ice mods, speedo correction and electronic throttle remapping were all done through software, I initially just wanted to tweak the ice for better fuel economy, but I couldn't help myself, so went with better performance instead, the remapped pedal is the best thing, I would have just worn the drive mode switch out prematurely as I love Sport mode, now its always in Sport mode, I can go the other way and remap the Sport mode to old Nanna mode, that way Normal on the dash is actually Sport and Sport on the dash is super sluggish Nanna mode.

Joe67, the grills are almost identical, the only difference is the emblem that joins the upper and lower together, I actually painted the fake chromed grill inserts with that plasti-dip stuff, just makes it look like a normal car now. Its funny, all the hoon drivers here purchase Chev badges from the states and stick them on there SS Commodores, and I'll bet there are guys over there that do the same with Holden badges, lol grass is always greener :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Welcome Kamel,
I'm in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

I like your mods too. So far, haven't tweaked anything myself, but exuberantly following a number of threads.
Recently purchased an ODB2 BT adapter that isn't able to provide any data. I've been told by its supplier that the Volt isn't ODB2 compliant!

Since purchasing two Volts just over a year ago, I've seen 3 others.
Figures I've heard indicate 240 and 288 units here in Australia.

I'm a fan of deleting the Holden badges, as the support I've experienced from Holden is extremely poor. I'd prefer to advertise Chevrolet as they made the effort to design and produce a brilliant car, although they didn't market it at all.

Please tell us more about your tweaks and mods. Many here aren't interested, but I think as we move into a second generation of owners, the demographic is changing.
I'm particularly keen to know how you remapped the throttle.

Anyway, cheers, welcome again. Plenty of interesting stories herein.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Kamel,
I'm in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

I like your mods too. So far, haven't tweaked anything myself, but exuberantly following a number of threads.
Recently purchased an ODB2 BT adapter that isn't able to provide any data. I've been told by its supplier that the Volt isn't ODB2 compliant!

Since purchasing two Volts just over a year ago, I've seen 3 others.
Figures I've heard indicate 240 and 288 units here in Australia.

I'm a fan of deleting the Holden badges, as the support I've experienced from Holden is extremely poor. I'd prefer to advertise Chevrolet as they made the effort to design and produce a brilliant car, although they didn't market it at all.

Please tell us more about your tweaks and mods. Many here aren't interested, but I think as we move into a second generation of owners, the demographic is changing.
I'm particularly keen to know how you remapped the throttle.

Anyway, cheers, welcome again. Plenty of interesting stories herein.
High longflare,

I think the vehicle is OBDII compliant as my software communicates perfectly, all the remapping is done with HpTuners software, there isn't anything you can do with the electric drive system except for remapping the pedal response curve, but you can mess with the ice and turn off error codes, adjust timing, AFR, rev limiters ect, as far as marketing the car in Australia goes, it was nonexistent, if the car was 25k cheaper and the government gave you an incentive to purchase it, then it would have been a success, they should have release the cheap base model here like they did in the states.

If you find someone over east that tunes the commodores, they will have the software that can alter you Volt, but they most likely won't have a clue what to change.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cheers KFK,

[update] The BT ODB2 does work, but only in the driver's side port! It took me a bit of reading to discover it.
I'll have a look at HpTuners sw, might be able to do it myself. I've a bit of experience retuning the old Skylines with a Nistune modded ECU.

R U in WA?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes your best to buy the setup yourself, get it from Amazon not from VCM Australia, it's a few dollarydoos cheaper, even with 4 day express post. And yes I'm in WA, if you join the Hp forums I'm in there with the same handle, there is about 4 others tinkering with the Volt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As a Chevy Volt owner in the USA, I'd love to know where I could source Holden badges for the Volt. It looks like the front grille slot is the same? Just with a Holden emblem covering the "Bowtie" opening? I assume the wheel center caps are the same?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
As a Chevy Volt owner in the USA, I'd love to know where I could source Holden badges for the Volt. It looks like the front grille slot is the same? Just with a Holden emblem covering the "Bowtie" opening? I assume the wheel center caps are the same?
The Chevy & Holden Volt front grille insert is different. The Holden insert seems to be a bit of a Unicorn here in the USA :(

My Chevy:

Holden:

·
Registered
50 Posts
ahhhhhh... so it is the whole "grille" as well... hmmm At least I don't have to get all new bumper skins like if I was going to Opel/Vauxhall Ampera badging. A whole grille and emblem has got to be cheaper than a whole bumper out of Germany LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahhhhhh... so it is the whole "grille" as well... hmmm At least I don't have to get all new bumper skins like if I was going to Opel/Vauxhall Ampera badging. A whole grille and emblem has got to be cheaper than a whole bumper out of Germany LOL
Finding a Holden grill and badge in Australia would be near on impossible as it is, any spares I will be purchasing down the line would be coming from the states as Holden will give you very little support for this car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts