GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my 2016 Volt about two weeks. The one and only time I've actually used the low beams was in a rain "storm" (not that bad). I had a horrible time seeing things and actually almost ran off the road. The rain then ended and it was dark. On the rest of my drive home, I tested the low and high beams. To me the low beams were not great, although the high beams seemed to be good.

What are your opinions of your low beams?

Hmm...maybe I could compare the low beams of my VW to the low beams of the Volt. I'll have to see if I can do that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Took a joy ride in 2017 Volt last night on totally unlit streets (still in LA - so not like a back country darkness), but I found them to be very bright. Better than the old 2007 Prius. The high beams were even more impressive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2017 LED headlights are very bright with wide coverage. I have not driven in rain yet so can't comment. But much brighter than the 13 Optima with xenon that I traded in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our 2016 Premiers LED low's are intense and have great wide smooth coverage. No complaints, much better than our previous VW's old Halogen.

Haven't had it in hard rain yet, but normal rain it's just as good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just received my Volt yesterday and after reading this post was getting worried that the lights were not good. So I just came back from a ride ( night outside) and I must say that I am impressed with the low beams. They are really bright and smooth. I have the premier model with the intellibeam option and I must say that is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Compared to my old Kia Forte 2010, the 2016 Volt's beams are much better in both regards! I like them a lot. Could yours be misaligned?

·
Registered
265 Posts
My '16 Volt's headlights are the best of any car I've ever owned (which has been many). My passengers always make positive remarks about them too. Excellent brightness, visibility, coverage and clarity.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
They seem really good to me - and I am a person who is picky about headlights. (Have run E-code lights on various cars since the 1970s...)

I do kinda wish the high beams were LED as well. The difference in color temp between the LEDs and the halogens is a bit unsettling at first.

·
Registered
322 Posts
They're very bright, which I like, however, they project rather than flood out, creating a clearly defined area that is lit vs. unlit. This does take quite a bit of getting used to.
And to the OP, I would make sure you are using Rainex or some type of alternative. There is nothing worse than driving at night in the rain without it. With it, you don't even realize it's raining and can leave your wipers off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went from a 2015 Subaru STI with LED low beams to the 2017 Volt. I think the Subaru was a little brighter, but both are good. I'm glad the LT has LEDs and not just the Premier like some other manufacturers tend to do. I also like how the low beams stay on when the highs engage. Adding light, not replacing it with a dramatically different color temp.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I went from a 2015 Subaru STI with LED low beams to the 2017 Volt. I think the Subaru was a little brighter, but both are good. I'm glad the LT has LEDs and not just the Premier like some other manufacturers tend to do. I also like how the low beams stay on when the highs engage. Adding light, not replacing it with a dramatically different color temp.
I agree with both points

·
Registered
23 Posts
They seem really good to me - and I am a person who is picky about headlights. (Have run E-code lights on various cars since the 1970s...)

I do kinda wish the high beams were LED as well. The difference in color temp between the LEDs and the halogens is a bit unsettling at first.
there is another thread where someone replaced the High Beams with whiter bulbs Here

Also, i love how bright the low beams are and the IntelliBeam tech

·
Registered
677 Posts
I can only comment about the LED low beams on the Premier, but I find them to be very good... The high beams, not so much...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been impressed with the headlights on our 2016. The low beams have a sharply-defined upper cutoff that is below most other drivers' eyes or mirrors. I still get the occasional oncoming driver that flashes his high beams at me even though my headlights are low beam--I think the white color tends to deceive them.

The high beams light up the whole road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts