GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://fuelfix.com/blog/2014/05/14/texas-launches-2500-incentive-for-cng-electric-vehicles/
http://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/public/implementation/air/terp/ld/2014_ld_list.pdf

I just read on the on the Houston Chronicle about new $2500 incentive for alternative fuel (including electric) cars, but I do not quite understand how will it work. Any one brighter than me, can please help. As all Texans know, we don't have state income tax like most of the other states.

From the information on the links, it looks like this wont apply for Tesla, since it is required to buy from a dealer. Vehicles bought directly from the manufacturer are excluded (aka Tesla).

We are interested on buying a second Volt and it will be great if we can lower our bill. Our 2013 Chevy Volt joined our family last December and love it.

--------
UPDATE:

After some more browsing, it looks like you will get a check mail to you after the rebate is process and everything is verify. i guess it is like a mail-in-rebate type of deal.

http://www.tceq.texas.gov/assets/public/implementation/air/terp/ld/2014_ld_NOR.pdf

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
In Illinois, the state incentive has nothing to do with taxes. It's a rebate of 10% of the price of the car, sent to recipients as a check. I assume the Texas "incentives" would be something similar. Notice the article doesn't say anything about tax incentives. It describes incentives.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

·
4,869 Posts
Sounds like you got the right info BUGrad. Welcome to the forum, glad you're loving your Volt and hopefully you'll have a second one soon too! ;)

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
In Illinois, the state incentive has nothing to do with taxes. It's a rebate of 10% of the price of the car, sent to recipients as a check. I assume the Texas "incentives" would be something similar. Notice the article doesn't say anything about tax incentives. It describes incentives.
Hopefully this is how it will work. I received TWO checks for $3914.50 each for my TWO Volt's. Coupled with the $7500 fed tax credit and GM/dealer discounts and my Volt's cost less than $24K each.

Good luck, it sure ease the hit to the check book.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Right! there is no income tax in Texas, so it has to be a rebate. There are 2000 rebates available, and no pro-rating after you pass the target number like the Federal (IRS) tax credit. Applicant 2001+ get a rejection letter, even if there is still money in the fund. 2000 CNG vehicles are available too, as we do have a lot of Alt-fuel farm trucks in the state.

What I don't see is the second year provision I had seen in the drafts. It should be 2000 cars per year, for two years. So Jan 2015 should have another go, up to the amount remaining in the fund. Austin demands certainty from Washington, but then writes the rebate so that you are rolling the dice as you near 2000 cars. I am amazed, but glad, that this got done at all though!

F.U. Tesla is in 1.5.h: "Only vehicles offered for sale or lease in Texas are eligible for this rebate grant."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the info and clarification. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
Hopefully this is how it will work. I received TWO checks for $3914.50 each for my TWO Volt's. Coupled with the $7500 fed tax credit and GM/dealer discounts and my Volt's cost less than $24K each.

Good luck, it sure ease the hit to the check book.
Same here (also IL) except I only bought one volt. I wish IL didn't have income tax or property tax for that matter. I'd love to see a nationwide sales tax (make it big enough to be about the same on the end as property and income combined, but collect when we buy stuff that isn't food, medicine, necessities (TP). This way the drug smuggler, gangsters, and prostitutes are also paying their fair share when they buy stuff. The only problem is the shock to people's habits when we make the switch. But I digress.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's considered a Grant

So it has nothing to do with taxes and yes, the Volt is eligible.

However, if like me you've already purchased/leased your Volt prior to Tuesday, May 13 2014, you're NOT eligible. My state legislature at work. :mad:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Plenty of money left

I'm not a Volt owner yet but have been researching and by chance found out about this program this morning. I called the state. Talked to "Jaime" who said that they have received 168 applications and it would take approximately 4000 applications to use up the available money. She said that that when they get close to using it all up, they will begin posting updates on available money left. Looks like there are no worries in the immediate future for the pool drying up. This may have just pushed me off the fence! :cool:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'm not a Volt owner yet but have been researching and by chance found out about this program this morning. I called the state. Talked to "Jaime" who said that they have received 168 applications and it would take approximately 4000 applications to use up the available money. She said that that when they get close to using it all up, they will begin posting updates on available money left. Looks like there are no worries in the immediate future for the pool drying up. This may have just pushed me off the fence! :cool:
You have to fish when the fish are biting. Go for it! It's a fantastic car (from a guy who owns two).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sent in our paperwork on May 19 after purchase on May 17. Got the letter that our grant app was accepted around mid June. They said payment could take up to 60 days or more. The next day, you guessed it, $2500 check in the mailbox. That plus the 1K private offer, and the $7500 next tax return made our Volt very affordable. A big thanks to this forum for the private offer info. The Texas program, I stumbled across the legislation while researching state incentives last August. It took until May of this year to get the program in operation but I'm glad we waited.

The irony is this grant program is administered under TERP... Texas EMISSIONS REDUCTION Program, and yet the Tesla is barred from entry though it is a ZERO EMISSIONS automobile. Politics as usual.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The irony is this grant program is administered under TERP... Texas EMISSIONS REDUCTION Program, and yet the Tesla is barred from entry though it is a ZERO EMISSIONS automobile. Politics as usual.
Tesla can play as soon as they open a franchised dealership in Texas. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm off the fence. I have an overnight test drive charging on 120V in my garage. 90% sure I will sign papers tomorrow. It's a demo car so the price is right but I have a few questions about things I noticed. Most alarming was a burning plastic smell when I got home from the 30 mile drive. Anybody else experience this? Wife smelled it too. It's not just me. Drove around another 10 miles, didn't smell it again. Anyway... this unit or another, this is going to happen.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Most alarming was a burning plastic smell when I got home from the 30 mile drive. Anybody else experience this? Wife smelled it too.
Did the engine run during the drive? I did notice some kind of a burning smell the first few times my engine ran, especially when I was stopped at traffic lights. It is supposedly a coating on the exhaust system burning off. All GM cars have this coating, but it burns off on the highway where no one notices it much on most cars. It lasted much longer for me, because I hardly ever ran the engine. I don't remember any burning plastic smell running on electricity alone, though.

You will find that after driving electric, gas cars just don't appeal to you anymore.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, I put it in mountain mode to recharge the battery because I wanted it to have a little all electric juice for my wife to test drive it. So the engine ran pretty good for 10 miles before I got home. I did see in another thread that it's a common thing. I'm not too alarmed... the deal is going to happen. Signing papers tomorrow. Got a very sweet deal. The car is a demo so it was priced right to begin with, plus $7500 fed, plus $2500 Texas, plus $700 GM Card bucks, This is going to be a $20.3k car. I'm happy. Plus... on top of the unexpected windfall of the Texas rebate, I just found out they have installed a free to the public EV charger at my wife's work... so now we're going to have to fight over it and she'll probably win. Good problems to have. Her $300 monthly gas bill is going to go practically to $0.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Which dealer are you buying it from? Be sure to get the MSO (manufacturer statement of origin). If they can't give it to you, the car may not be eligible for the federal tax credit. Also get the GMVis report too, which will list work done on the car.

Congratulations on your decision! You will love the car!

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
I bought a GM "program car " . Not sure if it's the same thing as a demo, but it had 152 miles on it .

They wouldn't let me use my GM card money because of it .
Meanwhile the volt I bought had 700 miles on it and I was able to get $3500 GM card rebates. I'm guessing this was just test drive miles for almost a year, not a program car. I lurked in the lot many times on Sundays looking at the car thinking that $44K is an insane price for a volt. I never went in to test drive it until they dropped the 2014 price and I ended up eventually owning the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts