GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are times at night when I want to stop, get out of my car, and do something "with the interior lights off".
Sometimes I might want to open my trunk, and not have the lights on. I'd like it dark.

I can't figure out how to do this. Does someone here know how?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
There are times at night when I want to stop, get out of my car, and do something "with the interior lights off".
Sometimes I might want to open my trunk, and not have the lights on. I'd like it dark.

I can't figure out how to do this. Does someone here know how?
You can cycle the interior light control setting (the button is overhead, next to the Blue OnStar button. I believe this can be set so the interior lights do not come on when a door is opened. I'm not sure you can disable the hatch light except by removing the bulb.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Some lighting features (vehicle locator lights, exit lighting) are configurable under the Vehicle Personalization menus. Entry and Exit Lighting are described in the Lighting Features section of the manual. Don’t know if the hatch light is configurable with the menus.

Regarding the interior Dome Lights, there appears to have been a slight change between 2016 and 2017, giving the newer model owners a visual clue that the Dome Lights will not turn on when the door is opened.

The 2016 Volt manual states it this way:

The dome lamp controls are in the overhead console. To operate, press the following buttons:

OFF : Press to turn the lamps off, even when a door is open.

ON/OFF : Press to turn the dome lamps on manually or automatically when a door is opened.

The 2017 Manual states it this way:

The dome lamp controls are in the overhead console. To operate, press the following buttons:

OFF : Press to turn off the dome lamps when a door is open. An LED indicator on the button will turn on when the dome lamp override is activated.

Press OFF again to deactivate this feature and the LED indicator will turn off. The dome lamps will come on when doors are opened.

ON/OFF : Press to turn the dome lamps on manually.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Good to know. thanks. As an amateur astronomer, I've always had to remove bulbs in previous cars. I have red LED lamps in my 2014. Nice to see there are new options.

G

·
This is a feature almost as old as cars! I knew this since my Dad's first car (a 1957 Ford Taunus).

Just remember to read the friendly manuals!

·
Registered
907 Posts
:)
I re-read that post. Mis-read completely. Yep, dome light manual control vs door control is a very basic feature that I well understand. I had one car where the trunk lamp couldn't be turned off. The gen 1 also has separate bulbs for reading lamps vs dome lamps. So I can have red dome lamps and white reading lamps. Don't think I can do that on gen 2, since there is a common lamp in the front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.