GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I got a chevy volt 2017 and when the car turns on the drl comes on , thats good. But when the headlights come on automatically the fogs (drl ) are on as well. Is there any way to turn off the drl when the main headlights come on and is there a way to turn on the headlights when i want to turn them on , not automatic . Thanks everyone in advanced . Any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Under FMVSS, anytime the headlights are actually on the marker lights (what you're calling fogs) must also be on.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Hi , I got a chevy volt 2017 and when the car turns on the drl comes on , thats good. But when the headlights come on automatically the fogs (drl ) are on as well. Is there any way to turn off the drl when the main headlights come on and is there a way to turn on the headlights when i want to turn them on , not automatic . Thanks everyone in advanced . Any suggestions would be great
You can turn the headlights on or off with the rotary headlight switch located on the left side of the dash board near the left driver's air vent. You can turn on the headlights at any time. I don't believe you can turn off the headlights unless the Volt has been shifted to Park. The headlight switch will always return to the automatic setting for the next time you start the Volt. Did you know the headlights come on automatically anytime the windshield wipers are turned on?

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Just curious, why do you want to turn of daytime running lights? The minimal increase to battery range would be insignificant during a normal commute.

For a Gen 1 Volt for example, the bulbs are 40W so DLR uses less than 1% of the battery. This equals .4 miles of range if you average 40 miles on a charge.

In comparison, tire pressure, heat/AC, and driving style can have a 10X greater impact on range compared to running DRL.

Or is your concern about something else, like bulb life?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
May be change to LEDs would be easier 1 tenth the power take.
As far as I know the daytime running lights and the low beam headlights on the Gen 2 Volt are LEDs. The high beam headlamps are halogen bulbs. Not sure about the turn signals, backup lights and the brake lights. The interior lighting uses LEDs. The light inside the hatch is not an LED.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
You need 10 swipes of the blades before the lights will turn on.
What happens if you turn on the wipers to the low speed continuous setting, after 10 swipes back off to intermittent wiping. Do the headlights lights stay on?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
What happens if you turn on the wipers to the low speed continuous setting, after 10 swipes back off to intermittent wiping. Do the headlights lights stay on?
Yes. The lights will stay on while the wipers are still on intermittent. But once you turn the wipers to off, you need 10 more swipes to get the lights back on.

And if you start out on the lowest intermittent setting, it can take some time for those 10 swipes to get the lights on.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was told leds last longer than the car , when i got the volt i wanted to change the lowbeams and fogs to hid but i realized that they are both led and if they need replacing you need to change the whole headlight and fog light and tail light as well. Most cars i usually change the hids but this one i cant , but still love the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts