GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -- just purchased a preowned 2012 Volt. So far, it is a really nice car with so much to learn.

Anyways, I called OnStar to transfer the remainder of the 3 year subscription (originally purchased in July 2012 according to Carfax) to me. The OnStar rep told me that I would have to get the original owner to initiate the transfer. I don't know the original owner's name or address or anyway of contacting them. The dealership I purchased it from bought it in an auction, so they don't have the original owners information either. The OnStar rep wanted me to start a new billable subscription, even though there was over a year remaining on the old subscription. He said that there was no way he could transfer without contact with the previous owner -- and OnStar would not contact them on my behalf.

I really want to get on the myvolt.com and use the myChevrolet app, but those both require an OnStar account number and access, which I don't have and OnStar wont tell me.

Plus, I believe the original owner can access my car through OnStar to find where my car is and unlock the doors etc.. I really don't feel comfortable with that either.

What do you recommend I do? OnStar reps are of no help...

Wayne

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David/All - Just called the Volt Advisor and spoke with Melissa. She stated that they could not help, that because of privacy issues, they couldn't give me contact information on original owners nor would they contact them either.. Back to square one...

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Hi All -- just purchased a preowned 2012 Volt. So far, it is a really nice car with so much to learn.

Anyways, I called OnStar to transfer the remainder of the 3 year subscription (originally purchased in July 2012 according to Carfax) to me. The OnStar rep told me that I would have to get the original owner to initiate the transfer. I don't know the original owner's name or address or anyway of contacting them. The dealership I purchased it from bought it in an auction, so they don't have the original owners information either. The OnStar rep wanted me to start a new billable subscription, even though there was over a year remaining on the old subscription. He said that there was no way he could transfer without contact with the previous owner -- and OnStar would not contact them on my behalf.

I really want to get on the myvolt.com and use the myChevrolet app, but those both require an OnStar account number and access, which I don't have and OnStar wont tell me.

Plus, I believe the original owner can access my car through OnStar to find where my car is and unlock the doors etc.. I really don't feel comfortable with that either.

What do you recommend I do? OnStar reps are of no help...

Wayne
Since you advised them of new ownership of the Volt, would they be liable for not terminating the original subscription, if the car were opened remotely by some unscrupulous person using the remote app? I think that there may be some culpability attached to them in such a scenario. If CarFax can trace multiple ownerships, I would think that OnStar would be able to determine your ownership and make the switch without a problem. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both the GM Advisor and OnStar have the ability to look up the previous owner and their contact information. The problem is that they will not contact them on my behalf nor will they give me the contact information so that I could contact them myself. Privacy issues in giving me the contact information -- and laziness and greediness prevent them from contacting the original owner on my behalf.

OnStar wants me to purchase a new subscription, and puts up roadblocks from getting any prepaid subscription transferred. This is one of the drawbacks of purchasing a preowned vehicle from a dealership -- you can't get the OnStar subscription transferred. New OnStar subscriptions cost $20-$30 per month, an expense I did not foresee nor budget for....

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're out of luck. You're going to have to buy your own subscription.

·
Registered
474 Posts
On star had no problems transferring it for me. I bought my 13 used from Carmax even. Just hit the button, and said that the dealer told me to set it up. Took about 30 min, but it was done.

Were you calling from the car?

Sent from the bushes... Outside your bedroom window...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes - I called from the car. Did they ask you for any previous owner information? Maybe I will try calling OnStar again later...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes - I called from the car. Did they ask you for any previous owner information? Maybe I will try calling OnStar again later...
Nope, not a word about the previous owner. It did have to go to a special department so they could do it. Answering lady took my info, after I explained what I needed, and transferred me. Did it on my lunch break.

Good luck

·
Registered
767 Posts
IF.....this is a complimentary "subscription" or a trial, they should transfer it to you no problem.

IF.....the previous owner PAID for it, then you have two choices:
1) Continue to use it as long as it works...or
2) Pay for your own subscription.

If the previous owner paid, he should have it transferred or cancelled. I have a small refund
coming from the Malibu I just traded in.

Getting all worked up because it isn't working the way you had hoped that it would
accomplishes nothing useful. You may just have to live with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep - I got transferred to that department too. When I first called, the lady that answered told me that it would be no problem to transfer the subscription, then sent me over to the department that does the transferring. That's when I was told that it can't be done without original owner initiating blah blah blah...

How long ago did you have yours transferred? Wonder how many requests OnStar is getting as I would think a bunch of 2011 and 2012 lease returns are coming in..

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yep - I got transferred to that department too. When I first called, the lady that answered told me that it would be no problem to transfer the subscription, then sent me over to the department that does the transferring. That's when I was told that it can't be done without original owner initiating blah blah blah...

How long ago did you have yours transferred? Wonder how many requests OnStar is getting as I would think a bunch of 2011 and 2012 lease returns are coming in..
Did it last week

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone and especially Madcat! I'm happy that you let me know you were able to get the OnStar subscription transferred without problems last week. It gave me some hope. Anyways, I called back and was prepared to let them know that their advertisement states "subscription transfers with car" and that the year and half coverage remaining was already prepaid. And that I could verify proof of ownership.

Didn't have to say all that -- the customer service rep just took my information and I was up and going in about 20 minutes. Glad I didn't listen to the first OnStar rep (who is probably getting commission on any sales), and came to this forum for advice and more information. Now I got to get a L2 EVSE and have it installed ;-)

·
Administrator
20,158 Posts
I suspect there are some OnStar reps who do not know that the Volt comes with free OnStar for X years. The original owner could not transfer that to another car, nor did they pay for it. This may have been unknown to the person you initially spoke with. Glad you got it worked out, wlum!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you everyone and especially Madcat! I'm happy that you let me know you were able to get the OnStar subscription transferred without problems last week. It gave me some hope. Anyways, I called back and was prepared to let them know that their advertisement states "subscription transfers with car" and that the year and half coverage remaining was already prepaid. And that I could verify proof of ownership.

Didn't have to say all that -- the customer service rep just took my information and I was up and going in about 20 minutes. Glad I didn't listen to the first OnStar rep (who is probably getting commission on any sales), and came to this forum for advice and more information. Now I got to get a L2 EVSE and have it installed ;-)
What advertisement did you see "subcription transfers with car" and what did you end up saying to get it transfered? Just bought a company owned ELR and having the same issue. I called onstar. They told me they couldn't transfer it and that the dealer had to set it up. Then the dealer gives me the runaround as well saying they called onstar.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Glade you got it figured out. Pays to be persistent. They need to get all these on star folks on the same page. Later aceinsp

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2015 used Volt last night. Called onstar with pushing the blue button, they only want to give me 3 month trial, told them the Volt came with 3 years on star from original in service date, they said the dealer would have to have it transferred. Called my dealer and they called onstar and were told only 3 month trial. Will try again tonight and see if I get someone different who will do the transfer. Anyone recently have success doing it and any tips or tricks. Thanks

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
When I bought my used volt there was less than a month left on the original subscription. I am pretty sure they gave me a 3 month trial that extended the original subscription (more than 3 months from the date I called). I just pressed the blue button to make the call.

It seems like they should give you the 3 years. If nothing else works, you could wait until they hound you to extend and then explain then that you wouldn't dream of it considering this issue. It might be more negotiable at that time.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just bought a 2015 used Volt last night. Called onstar with pushing the blue button, they only want to give me 3 month trial, told them the Volt came with 3 years on star from original in service date, they said the dealer would have to have it transferred. Called my dealer and they called onstar and were told only 3 month trial. Will try again tonight and see if I get someone different who will do the transfer. Anyone recently have success doing it and any tips or tricks. Thanks
Planning to sell my 2014. Called OnStar and was told essentially the same thing. The new purchaser will get 3 years of OnStar Basic (limited RemoteLink app) from the date they activate, and 3 months full OnStar. They said "limited RemoteLink" means the Key Fob tab only.

The fine print on the OnStar site (at the bottom click "OnStar services standard for 5 years") says "The OnStar Basic Plan is available for up to 5 years from the original delivery date on new, eligible 2014 model year and newer vehicles and is transferable." According to the OnStar Basic services page, that includes the remote navigation app feature.

However the phone agents insist that the web page is wrong (in several places), remote navigation is not available. In case they change the web page and you want to argue with them, here's a printout of it from today. They also say that the remaining Basic is not transferable but since the new owner gets 3 years Basic they might be better off anyway.

As it turns out, I have 3 years Basic and 1 year full OnStar remaining. If I sell it to a friend I might just let them take over my OnStar account. The OnStar phone agents admit that I can do that. Otherwise all the buyer will lose is 9 months of full OnStar.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts