GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our first big snow storm with the Volt and the the volt didn't like our very steep & long driveway (as we feared) despite studded winter tires. We brought the tractor down to tow it up but I couldn't find any spot under the front of the car that looks appropriate to attach the chain. The towing instructions mention something about a front torque box but there was no picture of that location.

Anyone have advice on where to attach if/when this happens again?

BTW - traction control did a significantly worse job getting up the slick snow-covered driveway (once we got it unstuck) than with TC turned off.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
We had our first big snow storm with the Volt and the the volt didn't like our very steep & long driveway (as we feared) despite studded winter tires. We brought the tractor down to tow it up but I couldn't find any spot under the front of the car that looks appropriate to attach the chain. The towing instructions mention something about a front torque box but there was no picture of that location.

Anyone have advice on where to attach if/when this happens again?

BTW - traction control did a significantly worse job getting up the slick snow-covered driveway (once we got it unstuck) than with TC turned off.

Page 451 of my manual shows where to hook tow chains.. there is a torque box behind the frond wheels
But this is for loading on a flatbed.. pulling it forward.

If you cannot access the front
torque box openings, wrap a tow strap through one, or both of the rear trailing arms (A) between the bushing and torque tube, and pull
the vehicle onto a flat surface. Do not wrap the tow strap around the rear torque tube (B).

·
Registered
974 Posts
I believe the torque box location is just behind each front wheel under the body. It seems to be a body frame area with the slots and holes for pinning and pulling the car. The towing PDF shows the area.

I have the PDF on my ipad, it is on this forum if you search. But being behind the front wheels I don't think you can pull the car forward without using both side torque boxes and a 4x4 across front air dam to prevent bumper damage. Not an easy task if the car is in the snow. Might try the recovery hook bolt if you can locate one that fits in the front bumper. Best of luck

·
Registered
702 Posts
We had our first big snow storm with the Volt ...

I suspected as much. It might help people who are not experienced, but every car I that have driven with that 'throttle nanny' feature has made driving in the snow even more difficult.

·
Registered
667 Posts
small access cover (approximately 2" X 2") on the front bumper

The small access cover (approximately 2" X 2") on the front bumper is where a tow hook is attached. AFAIK
I've never popped it open to look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The small access cover (approximately 2" X 2") on the front bumper is where a tow hook is attached. AFAIK
I've never popped it open to look.
Curiosity got the better of me, so I went out to the garage & gently pryed out the square. There's a solid seal behind it & no sign of anything that a tow hook can attach to. I wonder what make GM decide to do away with the access.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts