GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
On Monday afternoon I called and left a message for the service team at the Tesla Service Center in Rockville, Maryland for an update on my Model Y. I did not receive a response on Monday so on Tuesday A.M. I called and left a second message. I received a call back from the Service Team on Tuesday A.M. The individual I spoke with explained that my Model Y was still under evaluation, the issue with my car's AC compressor oil leak has been forwarded to Tesla in California.

I was informed that there was no direct number to call by phone for updates on my vehicle but I would receive a text message from the Service Team and that I could reply to that text message to request future updates on my vehicle. (A short while later I received second call from the Service Team member who apologized, stating that the Tesla text message system was down and they were not ignoring me, that they would send me a text message as soon as the system was again operational.

Although Tesla does not officially have a loaner vehicle program they do have a limited number of Tesla vehicles at the Service Center that can be loaned to customers. I stated that if a loaner vehicle becomes available I am definitely interested since I have been paying for a rental car since last Friday. I just need to be patient but the whole experience with my Model Y reminds me of a scene close to the end of the movie Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Brody: Where is the Ark?
Maj. Eaton: I thought we'd settled that. The Ark is somewhere very safe.
Jones: From whom?
Brody: The Ark is a source of unspeakable power and it has to be researched!
Maj. Eaton: And it will be, I assure you, Doctor Brody, Doctor Jones. We have top men working on it right now.
Jones: Who?
Maj. Eaton: Top... men...

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Here is an example of internal miscommunication, representation as regards Tesla Service. The only issue with my Model Y was and still is the AC compressor oil leak. I called for Tesla Roadside Assistance at the direction of the service scheduler and the mobile service technician. Normally Roadside Assistance towing is reserved for inoperable vehicles. Someone, not sure who, added a note to the service ticket indicating that my Model Y had shut down, thus justifying the tow. This seemingly insignificant note caused additional work to be expended by Tesla as they began to research what had supposedly caused my Model Y to shut down. I explained to the Service Team POC that the Model Y had not shut down, at least not while I had the car. If the Model Y shut down this was a new issue. I believe this miscommunication has been corrected.

Oh, a few minutes ago I received a call from the Tesla Service Center that they have a loaner vehicle for me.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
It took about two hours of playing musical rides but now I have a Tesla Model S 85 loaner vehicle (the loaner includes free Supercharging) while my Model Y is being repaired.

I did not think I would like the ride of the Model S but I do. The Model S ride is very smooth and quiet. The ride reminds me of the original Lexus LS400 when that car was introduced. Silky smooth ride and well behaved on the rough patches.

Reactions: wws and scottf200

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
This is an update on the status of the repair of the AC compressor leak in my Model Y. At 4PM on Monday 8/3 I received an electronic invoice followed by a phone call from the local Tesla Service Center to inform me that service of my Model Y had been completed. I picked up my Model Y and dropped the key fob to the Tesla loaner vehicle in the drop box (a touch less process.) My Model Y seems to be operating normally. My Model Y was in for service at the Rockville Tesla Service Center for a total of 11 days (including 4 weekend days.) Tracking back to my Mobile Service Appointment of July 17 the diagnosis and completion of this repair took 17 days. Everyone I spoke with or communicated with at the Tesla Service Center was very pleasant and helpful, did their best to get my Model Y repaired as quickly as possible.

For anyone interested, the following part was replaced at no cost to me under the basic vehicle limited warranty.

A/C Line - Supermanifold to HVAC (Remove and Replace)

Parts Replaced or Added:

AC LINE ASY, MANIFOLD TO HVAC R1234yf (1502022-00-C) Qty: 1

The Service Center also performed a courtesy inspection that included the condition of the tire tread and and tire pressure.

Reactions: scottf200

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
... Everyone I spoke with or communicated with at the Tesla Service Center was very pleasant and helpful, did their best to get my Model Y repaired as quickly as possible.
For anyone interested, the following part was replaced at no cost to me under the basic vehicle limited warranty.
A/C Line - Supermanifold to HVAC (Remove and Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added:
AC LINE ASY, MANIFOLD TO HVAC R1234yf (1502022-00-C) Qty: 1
Glad that it was resolved to your satisfaction. I found a picture of one on ebay. As well as the Tesla Parts Catalog. Lot of connections on that part!

Model Y 18 > Thermal Management 1820 > Refrigerant System ... and 3 sections under that.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Update: I parked the Model Y just as tropical storm Isaiah arrived in the DC Metro region. I let the car charge overnight. The rain cleared about noon, later in the afternoon I moved the Model Y and I noticed a fresh puddle of compressor oil. I have attached a photo.

This evening I plugged in the Model Y to charge and ran the AC for about an hour while I sat in the car. I moved the car back and observed only 3 small areas where some of the compressor oil was still dripping. I will continue checking for additional signs of an ongoing compressor oil leak. Right now I don't know if the oil stain and the subsequent small patches were due to compressor oil that had accumulated on one of the aeropanels. I may be headed back to the Service Center.

I washed my Model Y after the rain ended. This was also how I first noticed the earlier compressor oil leak. Maybe there is a connection. While wiping down the door sill of the driver's door I noticed 3 scratches that I was certain were not there before the roadside assistance tow and the vehicle repair. I remembered that I had taken photos of my Model Y prior to the car being placed on a flat bed and driven to the service center. I was surprised when one of the photos from July 24 clearly showed the scratches on the door sill. Time to order some touch up paint. So a valuable reminder, always document the condition of your vehicle, inside and out, when you have the vehicle serviced. In this case I wrongly believed, for a shoirt while, that my car had been damaged either by the Roadside Assistance or the Service Center. My Model Y was delivered with the scratches and I did not notice. I would have accepted the car even if I had noticed the scratches. One scratch is all the way down to the bare metal so I need to take care of the this right away.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Update: My Model Y continues to slowly drip compressor oil. The volume of oil that is actively dripping has decreased by 80% to 90 % since picking up the Model Y at the Service Center on Monday 8/3, noticing the large patch of oil on 8/4. Running the Model Y, including running the AC, does not seem to affect the frequency or volume of oil that is dripping. I am optimistic that the oil that is currently dripping is hopefully oil that had previously leaked out of the AC compressor line and collected on one of the Model Y's under body aero panels. I will continue to check for oil drips, soak up any oil with a paper towel so it is easy to spot any new drip spots. Again, this substance is dyed fluorescent yellow, slippery. It is definitely not condensate water from the AC coil.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Update: 8-18-20. Hopefully this is the final update on the status of the repair of my Model Y for an AC compressor oil leak. It has been two weeks since the Tesla Service Center completed repair of my Model Y. Since that time compressor oil has continued to drip, less and less, overnight while the Model Y is parked in my garage. The first night resulted in quite a bit of oil having dripped; subsequently oil drips were noted in 3, then 2 and finally in 1 location. The last time I had to wipe up any compressor oil from my garage floor was on 8-16-20. There have not been any new signs of compressor oil dripping from beneath my Model Y for 2 nights. I believe the oil has been dripping from a cross member or from the aeropanels. I suppose that the Service Center could have done a better job of cleaning up the compressor oil or maybe the oil that initially had leaked ran into hard to reach places.

I never received a survey from Tesla to fill out regarding the repair.

Reactions: scottf200
61 - 68 of 68 Posts