GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I neglected to note that the cold tire pressure for this recent road trip was as indicated by Tesla on the B pillar sticker: 42 PSI. Also, I am currently charging my Model Y at 240/16 amps because that is the charging setup I used with my 2017 Volt. I am waiting to learn if Tesla will offer a Mobile Connector (Level 1/2 EVSE) or a Wall Connector (hard wired EVSE) with a longer charging cord. The current Tesla offerings are listed as being 20 feet in length (this includes the plug and the electronics brick, so more accurately 18 feet in length. The charging cord is too short for my garage charging setup as I planned on a 24 or 25 foot charging cable when I had my NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed. I am using the Tesla provided J1772 adapter with my ClipperCreek LCS-20 EVSE.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
... I was curious how long it would take to charge from 90% to 100%. The Model Y charging screen indicated that charging from 89% to 100% would take an additional 3 hours and 20 minutes. I will remember this in the future in planning time needed to charge beyond 90% to fully charge the Model Y before leaving on a trip.
Keep in mind that going to 99 or 100% is not very useful tho. That extra time doesn't get any real distance. Before a road trip or long drive, I may start charging for 45 min or an hour or so before I want to leave. If you are going via supercharger route you just charge quickly from one to another.

I am currently charging my Model Y at 240/16 amps because that is the charging setup I used with my 2017 Volt.
That is all my son uses as well to charge is LR TM3. BTW, you can buy NEMA-14-50 extension cords (10', 15', 20' etc). I have 2 - 20' I take when traveling. I use one at my sisters cabin.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks Scott.

Reactions: scottf200

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Thanks Scott.
Just to be clear, I normally charge to 70% SOC daily but the night before I travel I charge to 90%. And then follow what I stated above about 45 min - 1 hr before we want to leave charge to whatever it will get to in that time. Likely good for the cell balancing algo as well so it knows that the "top" is for the future estimating.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Update; My Model Y has its first mechanical issue. There is a fluid leak that required me to schedule a mobile service appointment. Appointment made for Friday A.M. This appears to be a coolant leak; there is a wet patch on the floor of my garage in the area between where the front tires normally rest when the Y is parked inside my garage just to the right of the driver's side front tire print. The fluid is greenish blue in color, slippery to the touch and odorless. I have decided not to attempt to drive the Y until Tesla has examined the vehicle. I originally suspected the radiator hose or clamp; the only similar reference I found online was a model 3 owner who discovered a similar leak. That leak was ultimately diagnosed as a coolant leak from the front drive unit. Yikes!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just to be clear, I normally charge to 70% SOC daily but the night before I travel I charge to 90%. And then follow what I stated above about 45 min - 1 hr before we want to leave charge to whatever it will get to in that time. Likely good for the cell balancing algo as well so it knows that the "top" is for the future estimating.
Do you manually start the final charge 45min to 1 hour before you leave? or is that a programmed setting?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I manually started charging approx. 2 hours before I planned to leave, not programmed as this was an ad-hoc trip.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Update re Mobile Service Appointment. My appointment was originally scheduled for today (Friday 7-17) between 10:30 AM and 12:30 PM. The Tesla service technician sent me a text message on Thursday afternoon indicating that he could be at my home earlier than originally scheduled if someone would be home. The technician arrived at 9:35 AM. I moved the Model Y back a few feet so the technician could see the wet patch on the floor of my garage.

At first this yellow fluid stain was puzzling as the technician confirmed for me that Tesla coolant is Blue in color; It could not be Tesla brake fluid (I believe Tesla uses DOT-3 brake fluid). DOT-3 brake fluid, when new, is clear to very light gold in color; The Model Y's coolant reservoir was at the lower of the two lines in the overflow reservoir, this is normal according to the Mobile Technician. The Model Y's brake fluid reservoir was full. The washer fluid that Tesla uses is Blue (although the fluid that was in the reservoir of my Model Y as delivered is definitely clear.)

The Technician took five minutes to confer with other Tesla Technicians by phone or text. The other Tesla technicians confirmed that lubricant used in the front drive unit (probably the rear drive unit as well) is Red. Most interesting; the consensus of the Tesla technicians (4 if you include the Mobile Service technician at my home) is that the yellow fluid that leaked was lubricant from the AC compressor.

The technician could see where more of the yellow lubricant had accumulated on one of the supporting cross members beneath the AC compressor. The Mobile Service technician thought that the fluid could have accumulated on the cross member when the AC unit was installed but as the AC unit has no drain plug for this lubricant, it is sealed, I don't really see how it could have been overfilled when the AC compressor was installed but who knows.

The technician advised that I will need to make a Service Center appointment (I need to wait until the Mobile Service appointment is closed by the technician late this A.M., the I will submit my request for a Service Center appointment. I will drive the Model Y, continue to look for signs of additional fluid leakage. Assuming my AC keeps working I will resume local driving of my Model Y until I can bring the car to Tesla for service.

I did get a chance to eyeball what is beneath the frunk bin and the plastic covers of the Model Y.

Unlike the Model 3 the Model Y's coolant reservoir is located further back, below the windshield, on the passenger side of the Model Y just next to the 12V AGM battery. The brake fluid reservoir is located on the driver side on the other side of the 12V battery. I took some photos, will post later.

The technician showed me how the plastic cover goes back in place. The most important clip to get started is on the passenger side fender. Get that clip in place and the other clips all line up and go in their respective holes. There is a similar clip on the driver's side fender. Then the cover slides back about a half inch.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Here is a photo of the components underneath the plastic cover of the front trunk (frunk.) This confirmed that my Model Y does not have the sound insulation applied to the AC compressor. I will find out if Tesla can install the missing sound insulation cover on the AC compressor. Obviously this issue is secondary to the yellow lubricant that may be actively leaking from the AC compressor.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Do you manually start the final charge 45min to 1 hour before you leave? or is that a programmed setting?
I start it manually via the phone app as I'm eating or doing some last minute minor packing.
When I was traveling I would do something similar if I was staying at a hotel that had superchargers in their parking lot.
Tesla added departure charging last year via OTA but I don't want it full (100%) for any length of time so I just do 90% then start it a little while before I head out ... which is plenty to get me to a 140+ kW supercharger on my journey.

The 2 Volts in our garage also just start at a set time 12a or 1a (don't recall). We don't have a need for departure times as they are full by morning and battery is plenty warm in the garage even in winter.

Aside: Tesla's release notes on Scheduled Departure explain as follows:
It’s now easier to have your car comfortable and ready to drive with Scheduled Departure. For any location (e.g. Home), plug in your car and select a time for when you want your car to be ready to drive. Once your specified time is set, the car will schedule charging to complete before peak electricity rates begin (6AM) to reduce energy costs and ensure consistent regenerative braking and performance. it also automatically starts climate control so the cabin is comfortable at the set departure time.

To enable Scheduled Departure for the current location, go to Charging > Schedule/ Then select DEPART AT and set the departure time, choose whether you’d like Scheduled Departure to apply ALL WEEK or only on WEEKDAYS. If ALL WEEK is selected, you have the option to “Precondition Cabin on Weekdays Only” by selecting the checkbox.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
At first this yellow fluid stain was puzzling as the technician confirmed for me that Tesla coolant is Blue in color; It could not be Tesla brake fluid (I believe Tesla uses DOT-3 brake fluid). DOT-3 brake fluid, when new, is clear to very light gold in color; The Model Y's coolant reservoir was at the lower of the two lines in the overflow reservoir, this is normal according to the Mobile Technician. The Model Y's brake fluid reservoir was full. The washer fluid that Tesla uses is Blue (although the fluid that was in the reservoir of my Model Y as delivered is definitely clear.)

The Technician took five minutes to confer with other Tesla Technicians by phone or text. The other Tesla technicians confirmed that lubricant used in the front drive unit (probably the rear drive unit as well) is Red. Most interesting; the consensus of the Tesla technicians (4 if you include the Mobile Service technician at my home) is that the yellow fluid that leaked was lubricant from the AC compressor.

The technician could see where more of the yellow lubricant had accumulated on one of the supporting cross members beneath the AC compressor. The Mobile Service technician thought that the fluid could have accumulated on the cross member when the AC unit was installed but as the AC unit has no drain plug for this lubricant, it is sealed, I don't really see how it could have been overfilled when the AC compressor was installed but who knows.
That was a great update. Great that all the components mainly use different color liquids. Immediately above you are talking about 'yellow' but in your initial post about this you mentioned 'The fluid is greenish blue in color'? Was it hard to tell based on sitting on grey concrete and did you put some on a white sheet of paper or something to get the color figured out?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My garage floor has an epoxy coating that is cyan in color; the small amount of AC oil staining a patch on the floor appeared to be either yellow or even blue/green depending on the lighting. When the technician dabbed some of the oil that was on the cross member with a white paper towel the color of the oil was yellow.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Here is a photo, taken in late afternoon daylight, of a small amount of the AC compressor oil on a white paper towel. It looks like a fluorescent yellow dye, similar to a yellow tennis ball or that horrible "shock" color that the 2019 Bolt was painted.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I never wanted to become an AC technician, diagnose AC problems but here I am.

It could be that some AC compressor oil was spilled when the AC compressor was installed, charged at the factory. Compressors come filled with oil, the AC unit could have been overfilled resulting in an oil spill on the Model Y's aeropanel area directly under the AC compressor. A little spilled oil can hang around for quite a while; last fall I spilled some oil filling the engine of my snow blower and even now I am claening up oil drips from the snow blow chassis.

There is some reference to Tesla vehicle AC systems being fitted with the wrong O-rings or defective O-rings at the factory. The fix is to replace the O-rings and/or a bad compressor line (probably the high pressure line.)

An AC compressor oil leak could also be due to a bad compressor shaft seal. In that case it sounds like the compressor would need to be replaced under warranty. If the compressor runs out of oil then the compressor will overheat and be damaged; usually lots of smoke accompanies the death of an AC compressor.

My Mobile Service Appointment ticket from earlier today was closed, I opened another ticket but right now this is another Mobile Service Appointment, late next week, even though the Mobile Service Technician indicated on the original service ticket that further diagosis of the AC oil leak in my Model Y requires an appointment at the Service Center. So I have to follow up with Tesla Service to learn if they will change this next appointment to a Service Center appointment.

I am curious to learn what Tesla is going to do to resolve the AC compressor oil dripping from my Model Y.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Since the AC compressor oil and refrigerant circulate through the same lines a compressor oil leak should also be accompanied by a gradual loss of refrigerant. Eventually enough refrigerant would be lost that the AC would stop working to cool the vehicle. Hmmm.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
My Mobile Service Appointment ticket from earlier today was closed, I opened another ticket but right now this is another Mobile Service Appointment, late next week, even though the Mobile Service Technician indicated on the original service ticket that further diagosis of the AC oil leak in my Model Y requires an appointment at the Service Center. So I have to follow up with Tesla Service to learn if they will change this next appointment to a Service Center appointment.
The default when setting up an appointment via the phone app is mobile (they ask for address (home/office parking lot/etc), then a follow up text conversation will come where you can reference the previous ticket. OR just text back your mobile tech and let them know you made the follow up appt and need it changed to a service center per their recommendation. --- I recently had my MCU upgraded to the MCU2+IC combo in addition to having my FSD/AP3/HW3 computer installed. For the service address, I just put in the service center instead of my home address :) -- that is I knew it had to be done at the service center.

A/C: No worries as I'm sure this will be taken care of.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The leasing tab is now active on the Tesla web site when you configure a Model Y; Example Lease offer for Long Range AWD Model Y, w/19" wheels without Full Self Driving: $499 per month for 36 months, $4,500 down (capital cost reduction),10,000 miles per year mileage allowance. A $100 non-refundable deposit due now.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It is time for an update on the status of my Model Y. After making a follow-up Mobile Service appointment (the only online option) I spoke with the Mobile Service Technician who examined my Model Y last Friday. The technician said he would reach out to his team regarding my Model Y needing a Service Center appointment to diagnose the AC compressor oil leak.

I spoke with the technician again on Thursday (7/23) after not hearing anything from Tesla. The technician spoke with the Tesla Service Scheduler that he works with, the Scheduler explained that the Service Center was booked for appointments all the way out to the middle of August. The Scheduler suggested that I contact Tesla Roadside Assistance and have the vehicle towed to the Service Center. It was news to me that Tesla has a policy that all Tesla vehicles that are towed in by Roadside Assistance to a Service Center have be looked at within 24 hours. (Not necessarily repaired, just looked at.)

I consulted with Scott200 here on the forum. Scott advised that I have my Model Y towed to the Service Center ASAP. After considering my options, not many really, I contacted Tesla Roadside Assistance via the Tesla app Friday morning (it has been one week since my initial Mobile Service appointment.)

Someone from Tesla Roadside Assistance reached out to me via text message right away, I explained my situation. A locally contracted Tesla tow service was dispatched to my home. It took about an hour for the tow service to come pick up the Model Y. The Model Y was able to be driven by the tow service driver up onto the flat bed, the tow hook was not required. I left one of my key cards in the vehicle. Before handing over my Model U I turned off Sentry Mode, removed the Dashcam MicroSD card reader from the USB port. Now the wait begins. Next I am going to rent a vehicle for the weekend, probably thru the early part of next week.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Back in post #28, you mentioned the cabin overheat protection feature. Since my car sits outside a lot, I always run mine with "fan only" instead of with A/C. I also have a Heatshield for the windshield - which helps a lot (and would answer your concern about the display hardware.) I've been using Heatshields in all my cars for many years. They are custom cut for each individual cars windshield.

Your consumption figures seem to be right on. The lifetime average consumption in my Model 3, after 2 years and 25k miles, is 246 Wh/mile. My car is a LR RWD with aero wheels. But I also tend to drive it like I stole it...

I hope they get the source of your A/C leak resolved quickly!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts