GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
For some reason the Tesla Navigation could not find the Dunkin' donuts shop that is nearest to my home. Apple Maps found the closest Dunkin' store.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update: Using Waze on my phone I was able to find Dunkin' (Waze correctly found the Dunkin' donut store nearest to my house) and then send the directions to my Tesla via the Tesla App. Many rely on Waze for real-time traffic congestion updates, mobile speed enforcement alerts and road hazzard updates. If you subscribe to Tesla's LTE streaming service then the Tesla Navigation system receives traffic updates and you can elect to view the satellite imagery within the Tesla Navigation software.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Tesla UI could be improved. Several times I found that I had activated one of the front seat heaters when attempting to adjust the temperature setting. The Tesla voice commands work well, I need to make an effort to memorize the voice commands I would regularly use. When I tried to use the Open Glovebox voice command the Model Y displays a message that this command is not yet implemented in my vehicle; this specific voice command is known to work in the Model 3.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Update: Using Waze on my phone I was able to find Dunkin' (Waze correctly found the Dunkin' donut store nearest to my house) and then send the directions to my Tesla via the Tesla App.
The native 'share' feature does show a Tesla app 'destination' in recent times. It is somewhat new (i.e. as a share option showing up via other apps.

ie. You can search for a destination from your phone using Google Maps app and then send that location to your car remotely. Simply input your designation, press “Share” and find the Tesla icon. It'll automatically send that location to your vehicle's GPS navigation.

UPDATE: I just tried navigating to the Dunkin' donuts near me.
1) I said 'navigate to dunkin donuts in [town] ... it brought up a list of them (several in my town).
2) I said 'navigate to dunkin donuts on [street]' .... it listed two ... one in my town and another on that same street in a suburb south of.
3) I said 'navigate to dunkin donuts on [street] in [town]' and it then automatically started the routing directions.

In other words you can be more descriptive to get closer (in my case I added a [street] name.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here is another instantiation of the share feature on the iPhone. You can look up a contact in your Phone Contacts and share the contact information with the Tesla App, thereby with the Tesla vehicle.

Reactions: scottf200

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My Model Y came with a Tesla Tire Inflator kit in the vehicle at no additional charge. I thought maybe this was Tesla's way of saying thank you for my purchasing the vehicle in these uncertain times. It turns out that in my home state of Maryland the following 2013 law applies:

§ 22-405 - 3. Spare tires
If a new Class A (passenger) or Class M (multipurpose) motor vehicle is sold in this State, the manufacturer shall equip the motor vehicle with a spare tire that conforms with the requirements in § 22-405 of this subtitle, unless:
(1) The tire-wheel system of the motor vehicle provides a run-flat capability by which a partially inflated driving surface becomes available in the event of a tire failure;
(2) The motor vehicle is equipped with a factory-installed temporary tire repair and inflation system; or
(3) Technological improvements, consistent with applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards, become available.

I seriously thought I had scored some free Tesla swag. :LOL:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Looking into getting a Model Y also. Lots of good info here. Thanks for these posts.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm more interested in how far my Model Y can travel on a charge than in how fast it can go. I have not yet charged to 100% but last weekend I did charge the Model Y to 90%. I have not yet charged at a SuperCharger.

My day trip last Saturday was 42.5 miles (87% highway) at highway speeds between 60 MPH and 70 MPH so 65 MPH would be a good estimate of the average speed.

The trip meter logged 11kWh for 3.86 miles per kWh or 258 Wh per mile. If the Model Y's 74kWh battery was charged to 100% this would yield a range of 286 miles. A 90% charge would be 66.6kWh and the range would be 257 miles. My daily charging routine has me charging to 80% (59.2kWh), the range would be 229 miles. Over the 3 weeks I have been driving the Model Y the lifetime efficiency is 279 Wh per mile, the total range would be 265 miles. My daily range after charging to 80% is estimated at a more than adequate 212 miles. (In the 4 years that I drove my 2017 Volt I never once drove more than 100 miles in a single day.)

These range estimates are all considerably lower than the EPA estimate for the Model Y Long Range AWD (19" Gemini wheels) of 316 miles. I do believe the EPA estimate can be met or even exceeded provided the average speed is lower, probably closer to 55 MPH than 65 MPH and the AC is not used or used only minimally. I was using the AC on a day where the temperature by mid morning was already in the high 80s (F.)

I did note that while I used 11kWh to drive 42.5 miles the Model Y also used an additional 5.25 kWh over the 10 hours that the Model Y was parked outside in direct sun. The cabin overheat protection was left on; the Model Y will run the AC to keep the cabin temperature from rising above 105F. I estimate ~500W per hour was used to cool the cabin. I could have set the cabin overheat protection to use only the HVAC fan, this would have used much less power but I don't know how effective the fan alone would be in protecting the Model Y screen and other electronics from being exposed to high temperatures.

The real world maximum range of my Model Y is still TBD however I am confident that I can reach any nearby destination on a full charge or at most with one short charging session at a SuperCharger (SC). In general SC stations are located at rest stops or near to interstate highway interchanges. SC are strategically placed about 120 - 130 miles apart so you are never more than about a 2 hour drive at highway speeds from a SC. A survey of the SC near me show that the cost per kWh to use the SC is $0.24 to $0.25 per kWh, this is approx. 2X my cost at home electricity not including taxes, tariffs and other fees.

There are currently 960 SuperCharger locations in the US. Most have 4 to 8 charging spaces while the largest SCs in the US, located in Baker, CA and Kettleman Ciiy, CA, have 40 charging spaces. In China they are building SC with up to 50 charging spaces.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
The trip meter logged 11kWh for 3.86 miles per kWh or 258 Wh per mile. If the Model Y's 74kWh battery was charged to 100% this would yield a range of 286 miles. A 90% charge would be 66.6kWh and the range would be 257 miles. My daily charging routine has me charging to 80% (59.2kWh), the range would be 229 miles. Over the 3 weeks I have been driving the Model Y the lifetime efficiency is 279 Wh per mile, the total range would be 265 miles. My daily range after charging to 80% is estimated at a more than adequate 212 miles. (In the 4 years that I drove my 2017 Volt I never once drove more than 100 miles in a single day.)
Numbers look right compared to below test. I think EPA range numbers are from 60 mph testing. Test below drove 71 mph in the Model Y as their GPS devices said that was '70 mph'.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
There is some uncertainty about the maximum capacity of the Long Range Model Y AWD battery. I received a document from Tesla that stated that the battery capacity is 74 kWh so that is what I used in my estimate. I was not driving 70 MPH for most of my trip, I set the the Model Y's AutoPilot to 65 MPH (with an offset of +4 MPH) so ~69 MPH when I was not adjusting the offset slightly with the scroll wheel. Buried in the Owner's Manual I read that if you want to return to the posted speed limit (plus any offset that you have saved in the AutoPilot settings) you just need to tap the speed limit sign on the vehicle driving display.

If you look closely at the last 3rd of the video you can see that the left side passenger seat back is a bit higher than the combined right side and middle passenger seat back. This is also the case in my Model Y, perhaps my right rear passenger seat is a bit higher than the right rear passenger seat in the video. This can probably be adjusted by the service center but I don't want to risk damage to my Model Y's interior; correcting one issue while creating additional problems. So far the rattle that I initially heard coming from the rear seat of my Model Y is gone after I pressed the clip in the seat back of the middle seat into place.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Here is another Model Y Long Range AWD range test with the 19" Gemini wheels. This test was performed in Arizona in blistering desert heat conditions: At the 8 minutes and 31 seconds time mark you can see the Tesla trip screen: Miles Driven: 253.4 miles, used 73 kWh, for 286 Wh/mile. Here too the total battery capacity differs from the NJ Turnpike ~70/71 MPH Model Y Long Range AWD range test.

Model Y Hot Weather 70 MPH Range Test

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Here is another Model Y Long Range AWD range test with the 19" Gemini wheels. This test was performed in Arizona in blistering desert heat conditions: At the 8 minutes and 31 seconds time mark you can see the Tesla trip screen: Miles Driven: 253.4 miles, used 73 kWh, for 286 Wh/mile. Here too the total battery capacity differs from the NJ Turnpike ~70/71 MPH Model Y Long Range AWD range test. Model Y Hot Weather 70 MPH Range Test
Don't get too worked up over the numbers. It will vary quite a bit with the typical variables. Expect to lose 5% the 1st year and then way slower after that. REALITY is that you have plenty of range for your daily (max 100 in the past) and when you are traveling you only supercharge up just enough + 10% buffer to get to the next supercharger. A Better Routeplanner will give you a good feel and let you know that a max of 280+ miles doesn't matter. I road tripped with my family where my son/DIL was in their TM3 and I was in my Model X90D. At all our supercharger stops he had more range already before starting the charge and finished charging (next stop) a fair amount of time before I did. That was before they raised the kW speeds on the v2 and now the even higher v3 superchargers.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My Model Y just received a software update (2020.20.17) from Tesla while I was having breakfast at home. On June 14, when the car was delivered, I noticed there was an update (2020.20.12) available. After installing 2020.20.12 I have been anticipating an update to 2020.20.16 as that release contains some useful new features including a Dashcam Viewer improvement that automatically indexes Sentry Mode recordings to queue up to the moment an incident occurred. Also, while backing up you can now swipe down to add a view of the left and right side rear looking repeater cameras to get a wider view of what it going on behind the vehicle. In vehicle security you can now elect to turn off walk away locking when parked at home (assuming that at home you always park inside a locked garage.) This enables you to open the vehicle without having your phone; also just opening the door will not cause the side mirrors to unfold. You can now precondition (warm up) the battery pack on the way to third-party charging stations, not just SuperCharger stations. You can now elect to turn on the cabin camera, the camera will record images if there is a collision or safety event. Finally, Portuguese is now a supported language in the UI.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I just received, installed software update 2020.24.6.5 for my Model Y. This release contains the updates I previously, incorrectly attributed to software update 2020.20.17. The following link provides a full explanation of the enhancements included in the newest release: Version 2020.24.6.5 Release Notes

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Great news from Tesla if you are considering ordering the Model Y; Tesla has reduced the price of the Long Range AWD Model Y by $3,000.00 US. Not great news you already have a reservation for a Long Range AWD Model Y or if, like me, you have already received your Model Y.

There is currently lots of speculation about whether the lower price is due to excess production capacity or lower than anticipated demand for the Model Y.

The price of the Model Y Performance vehicle has not changed however the performance upgrade package that was previously a no-additional cost option is now standard on the Performance Model Y. The 7 passenger w/3rd row seating is still a $3,000.00 option on the Model Y. There is no new information from Tesla on when the 7 passenger vehicle will be available. There is no information regarding the price or availability of the still to be produced Standard Range Model Y.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Prior to the recent price adjustment the base price of the Long Range AWD Model Y was $52,990 US (not including any options or delivery charge). The base price of the Performance Model Y was $60,990 US (the Performance Upgrade Package was a no-cost option on the Performance Model Y.)

The new base price of the Long Range AWD Model Y is $49,990 US ($3,000 less than before the price drop.) [Correction] The new base price of the Performance Model Y is $59,990 (this is a $1,000 US price drop.) As noted in my earlier post the Performance Upgrade Package is now standard on the Performance Model Y *. The Performance Upgrade Package includes:
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
* This means that the EPA estimated range of the Performance Model Y is 280 miles, down from 316 miles without the Performance Upgrade Package, due mostly to the 21" Überturbine Wheels.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
[Correction] The estimated range of the Performance Model Y (with the 21" Überturbine Wheels) has been updated to 291 miles (previously was 280 miles.)

If you have not yet accepted delivery of your Model Y vehicle do not hand over any payment until Tesla has updated your order to reflect the new lower prices before options.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Short road trip today. I charged to 94% before leaving home. I was curious how long it would take to charge from 90% to 100%. The Model Y charging screen indicated that charging from 89% to 100% would take an additional 3 hours and 20 minutes. I will remember this in the future in planning time needed to charge beyond 90% to fully charge the Model Y before leaving on a trip.

Outbound Trip: 86 degrees F; Climate control on Auto, temperature set to 71F. Autopilot set to 60mph. Total distance: 22 miles at an average of 252Wh per mile. (At 252Wh per mile and a fully charged battery the Long Range AWD Model Y could theoretically travel a total distance of 74kWh / .252kWh/mi = 293 miles.)

Return Trip: 74 degrees F; Climate control on Auto, temperature set to 70F. Autopilot set to 60 mph. Total distance: 21.5 miles at an average of 234Wh per mile. (At 234Wh per mile and a fully charged battery the Long Range AWD Model Y could theoretically travel a total distance of 74kWh / .234kWh/mi = 316 miles.

The results of this short road trip confirm that when driven at 60mph on my chosen route the Model Y can meet the EPA estimated range of 316 miles. At 65 mph, based on my earlier trip over the same route using an average 258 Wh per mile the estimated range drops to 286 miles.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts