GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found 2015 Chevy Volt with leather seats for 31K. The mileage on the car is at 1,500ish miles, but has never been sold, but was used as a GM company car. The dealer says the Tax Credit should be good as it has never been titled. Is there any way to check and make sure it is still good?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
yes, ask to get a copy of the MSO- manufacturers statement of origin (I think) it serves as the title until a state applies a title to it. if it has been titled to a company, (even to GM) then they took the tax credit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You'll also lose 1500 miles and a bit of time on the warranty. The GM factory warranty automatically deducts the mileage on the car if it is over 1000. Also, the car was "in-service", so the in-service date is the actual start date of the warranty. Even with those caveats, that's a great deal.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
yes, ask to get a copy of the MSO- manufacturers statement of origin (I think) it serves as the title until a state applies a title to it. if it has been titled to a company, (even to GM) then they took the tax credit.
GM uses the MCO/MSO as the licensing certificate. When the car is titled to the "first owner" the MCO/MSO (or a copy of it) is turned in to the DMV. The dealer may still be able to show you a copy of the MCO/MSO even if it's been titled, so I wouldn't go by that.

seamonkeys1 said:
The dealer says the Tax Credit should be good as it has never been titled.
Then you qualify for the tax credit as soon as you have the car titled. How can you tell? Ask to see what paperwork they are submitting to title the car. If it's an MCO/MSO you're fine. If it's a title transfer, then someone's been naughty.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The dealer may still be able to show you a copy of the MCO/MSO even if it's been titled, so I wouldn't go by that.
I think you would have grounds for a $7500 law suit and the business would be subject to fines, as well as a possible loss of their franchise, if they represented a previously titled care as new to the point of showing you a previously made copy of the MCO/MSO.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can ask the dealership to show you the original MCO (this is turned over to the RMV when the car is first titled).

If that's not an option or if you have your suspicions (as you should), you can check with your insurance company and have them run a title check on the VIN. Some will do this for you, others won't. If they don't, you can run a Car Fax report (or ask someone who has a subscription to run one for you) which will show if/when the vehicle has been titled.

The second thing you want to do is check the status of the warranty. A warranty usually starts when the car goes into service as a demo, even if the car hasn't been titled, so you'll probably lose a few months & miles on the warranty. You can contact one of the Chevrolet Customer Care reps who have an account here (Katie has assisted me in the past) and they can confirm the dates.

When I was shopping for my Volt I ran into a few dealerships who insisted the Volts they were selling were untitled and/or had 100% factory warranty, when that was not the case. In some instances it was an honest mistake, in others they were trying to screw me.

The title is a deal breaker (worth $10k in MA) but the warranty wouldn't bother me if the price was right. You may be able to get the dealership to give you a free or discounted extended service contract to make up for an warranty that's been activated, or discount the car enough that it's worthwhile.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys,

The car fax does show it has never been titled. They have 7 X 2014 that are GM company cars and 1 x 2015 which they just bought at auction. I will ask to see the MSO when I am there. I am in no rush to buy, but do want to get it before the last day of 2014, but I also want the best deal.

Thank You

3,605 Posts
I have found 2015 Chevy Volt with leather seats for 31K. The mileage on the car is at 1,500ish miles, but has never been sold, but was used as a GM company car. The dealer says the Tax Credit should be good as it has never been titled. Is there any way to check and make sure it is still good?
Hello seamonkeys1,

I'm glad to hear you're in the market for a Volt. I am happy to look into this for you. Just shoot me a private message with the VIN.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joint Tax Return

If filling a joint tax return, does the tax credit apply to both incomes or just the person income that bought the car?

·
Registered
309 Posts
If filling a joint tax return, does the tax credit apply to both incomes or just the person income that bought the car?
Yes, it applies to your joint tax liability.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It seems to me the sales contract would be the definitive document. If they sale is marked as "New", then by definition the car cannot have been previously titled. If the car had been titled, the sales contract must be marked as used.

Of course, that just the law, and doesn't prevent anyone from choosing to violate it. You can also have them check when the in-service date for warranty purposes will be. If the in service date is your date of purchase, that would help as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am going through something similar. The car I am looking at only has 30 miles on it but they say because the warranty started 2 years ago they have to sell it as used. The dealer purchased the car from another dealership going out of business. I was told that the car has never been titled and never had the tax credit collected on it but is being sold as preowned/Carfax one owner. How do I make sure I am not getting screwed on this deal and can get the tax credits? The deal is only worth it if I can get the tax credits. If not it is way too much for the car.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I am going through something similar. The car I am looking at only has 30 miles on it but they say because the warranty started 2 years ago they have to sell it as used. The dealer purchased the car from another dealership going out of business. I was told that the car has never been titled and never had the tax credit collected on it but is being sold as preowned/Carfax one owner. How do I make sure I am not getting screwed on this deal and can get the tax credits? The deal is only worth it if I can get the tax credits. If not it is way too much for the car.
If the car truly has NOT been titled, then the MSO or MCO, (Manufactures Statement of Origin/ Manufactures Certificate of Origin), is still with the car's paperwork and can be shown to you. The MSO/MCO is collected by the DMV when a new title is generated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts