GM Volt Forum banner

How to Tell if an EV is Finished Charging . . .

75K views 64 replies 37 participants last post by  jjerry32 
#1 · (Edited)
So, when at a public place with EV chargers, if other EVs are plugged in, I would like to know when they are fully charged so that I can take the plug and charge mine. This, of course, is assuming I can get a parking spot close to the existing EVs.

Let me start by saying the list below is predicated on the assumption that it is acceptable to unplug someone else's EV when they are done. Assuming this is acceptable etiquette, should we leave a note saying that since their charging was complete, we took over the charging cord? Hopefully, the owners haven't set the charge cord's anti-theft system!

At any rate, I'm planning to keep this particular message updated with all the EV models with their indication of being fully charged. Please reply if you have information on how to tell if a particular model is charged (or if you notice an error) . . .

BMW ActiveE
Blue light on bottom of center rear view mirror is not illuminated

A blinking blue light indicates charging is in progress.

BMW i3
Green light around the rim of the charge port

The charge port LED light color represents the current status of the vehicle charge:
Flashing blue light means the vehicle has begun charging and turns off during charging
Green light means charging is complete
Flashing red light means there is a charging error

NOTE: If the vehicle's doors are locked, then the charging plug will also be locked and can not be removed until the vehicle is unlocked.

Chevy Volt
Short flashing green light on top of dashboard

A solid green light indicates charging is in progress. A long flashing light indicates delayed charging, which should never be used in a public charging spot when others may be waiting.

Coda
{someone let me know and I'll update this}

FIAT 500e
All LEDs on dashboard are on

The 5 red LED bars on the dashboard provide information on charging and scheduled charging.
The LEDs are numbered 1 to 5 with 5 being closest to the steering wheel and 1 farthest away.
While fully charged and connected, all LEDs are solid on.
While charging, zero or more contiguous LEDs, starting 1 are on to indicate the status of the battery (the more LEDs lit, the more charged is the battery) and then the next one (i.e. LED 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5) is blinking.

While connected and scheduled to charge but not yet charging (e.g. on a timer), there is a "chasing" LED, going 1->5 and wrap back to 1. e.g. 1 blinks on-off once, then 2 blinks on-off once ... then 5 blinks on-off, then 1 and so on.

Fisker Karma
The charge level indicator on the instrument cluster will reach maximum and the charge indicator will turn off.

While the vehicle is charging, the charging indicator light on the instrument cluster will be illuminated and the battery charge level indicator will display the current charge level.

Ford CMAX Energi
Blue ring around charge port/plug is not illuminated

The blue ring lights up in four blue quartered segments while charging and will shut off when charging is complete.

Ford Focus Electric
Blue ring around charge port/plug is not illuminated

The blue ring lights up in four blue quartered segments while charging and will shut off when charging is complete.

Honda Fit EV
The green LED next to the port/plug turns off when it's done charging

If it's flashing, the charging rate has been reduced because of a problem.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Red electric plug symbol on dashboard is not lit

Look through car windows at the dashboard to see if there is a red electric plug symbol lit. If it is lit then it is still charging. If it is off then it is not charging.

Nissan Leaf
All three blue lights on top of dashboard are all on or are all off.

Decoding Leaf's triple light set:
  • One flashing light 0-33%
  • One solid, one flashing - 33% to 66%
  • Two solid, one flashing - 66% to 100%
  • Three solid - 100%
  • All lights off - 100%
Tesla Roadster
Solid green lighting around inside of charge port.

While charging is in progress, the lighting inside the charge port area flashes amber.

Tesla Model S
The light around the charge port stops pulsing and the light turns solid green.
Good news: When you plug in the charging cable, a light around the charge port pulses green during charging. When charging is complete, the light around the charge port stops pulsing and the light turns solid green.
Bad news: If the Model S is locked during charging, the charge port light does not illuminate but the vehicle continues to charge.
Toyota Plug-in Prius
The amber electric plug icon next to the charging port is not illuminated.

Th!nk
When only one of the two green lights on top of the dash is lit

When both are lit and linked, charging is in progress. If only one is lit, charging is complete.

Toyota RAV4 EV
Both amber lights (at the bottom of the back side window above the charge port on the driver's side of the car) will be solid or off

There are two amber lights at the bottom of the back side window above the charge port on the driver's side of the car. When charging from less than half a charge, the left light will blink and the right one will be off. Once past half charge, the left light will be solid and the right one will blink. Once fully charged, both amber lights will be solid for only a few minutes after a full charge--they then both turn off. Therefore, it is charging if only one light is blinking (with the other either off or solid on). If both are off or both are on the charge is complete. If they blink in an alternate fashion (one on, other off, then switch), the car is in a delayed charge mode, which should never be used in a public charging spot when others may be waiting.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This list greatly illustrates the need for a uniform standard. I deal with a lot of battery chargers for my equipment in my profession and most, but not all, use a blinking light to indicate charging and a constant light to indicated charged (yes, opposite of the Volt).

My suggestion for a standard: solid red=fault (maybe with blinking hazard lights), blinking red/amber (less than 1/3 charged), blinking yellow (1/3-2/3 charged), blinking green (>2/3 charged), solid green=charged.

Reactions: obermd
#3 ·
The list is much appreciated.

Unless an EV has a sign granting permission to unplug them, I refrain. Some owners (as expressed here) feel that being unplugged is akin to vandalism. Since the Volt's battery TMS is active while plugged in, I understand their position.

When I unplug myself, if there is an EV with an open charge port waiting, I will plug them in.

#4 ·
Unless an EV has a sign granting permission to unplug them, I refrain. Some owners (as expressed here) feel that being unplugged is akin to vandalism.
I disagree. If they're parked in an EV spot for charging and the car has completed charging, it's acceptable to disconnect them and start a new charge. Being respectful of the other EV is a given; I treat the other cars as I woud want someone else to treat mine (gentle, close the cover, etc).

Without this type of activity (unplugging others when they're done), many would have to go without a charge, which is silly. I charge at a location that has 18+ chargers and only 24 spots. Those additional spots can be considered "transition" spots so others can start charging without the owners having to be back at the EXACT time their charge is done.

#5 · (Edited)
Canon has it right on their battery chargers. I wish it was more widely adopted.

Blinking amber light that indicates state of charge every 2 seconds:
1 short blink = 0-25%, 2 short blinks = 25-50%, 3 short blinks = 75-99%, solid green = 100%.

Adapting that to EV's would be simple, and a red light could be a fault condition as stated in this thread.

Thinking a bit, that LED could be a lot more useful, like an RGB notification LED on a modern Android smartphone.

#6 ·
I'd like to make some clarification on the Leaf.

The leaf will sit will all 3 lights on solid for quite some time before they actually go out. Based on what I've seen with mine, it is done charging anytime you see all 3 lights on solid. After a while they go out and in either case, it is considered fully charged.

If only the center light is lit up, that is for delayed charge or indicating the charge timer has been disabled but the car is not charging.

The description above actually describes "two lights blinking" etc.. They never blink together. This is the order you get:
  1. One flashing light 0-33%
  2. One solid, one flashing - 33% to 66%
  3. Two solid, one flashing - 66% to 100%
  4. Three solid - 100%
  5. All lights off - 100%

#9 ·
Unless there is a note on the dash giving you permission, I would not unplug them. In fact here in CA, it is illegal to unplug someone at a charge station (misdemeanor vandalism). I've seen some people get pretty upset when they come back to find another car plugged into the EVSE they were using.

#15 ·
In fact here in CA, it is illegal to unplug someone at a charge station (misdemeanor vandalism)
I find that hard to believe. Could you please cite your reference for that? I'm interested in reading that law.

EV charging is so relatively new that I highly doubt our politicians here in California have passed that law so quickly.

#11 ·
A true dilemma. I see this all the time at the gas station. When I go to the gas station I pump my gas and leave, and if I need to go into the station to buy something or use the rest room etc, I typically move my vehicle so as not to block the pumps which I think is just being respectful of other people.

Quite often though I see other people just go inside while they are pumping and people are waiting for the pump for a long time after the pump clicks off and the owner is nowhere to be found which I find disrespectful to others. That being said, I would never take it upon myself to take the nozzle out from their vehicle and I view the EV charging station etiquette to be the same. It is frustrating to see but you should not be touching someone else's car. Leave them a polite note explaining that it is bad form to stay longer than it takes to charge up. Every owner of an EV should know approx. how long it takes to charge up and should be responsible to get out there to move just like you would remind yourself to put another quarter in the parking meter, you should remind yourself to move out of an EV charging space when you finish charging.

#12 ·
It is frustrating to see but you should not be touching someone else's car. Leave them a polite note explaining that it is bad form to stay longer than it takes to charge up. Every owner of an EV should know approx. how long it takes to charge up and should be responsible to get out there to move just like you would remind yourself to put another quarter in the parking meter, you should remind yourself to move out of an EV charging space when you finish charging.[/QUOTE]

This says it best!!! It's simple. Being responsible and considerate is getting back to your vehicle in time to remove the plug when it is charged. Same as the parking meter scenario. I do not want anyone touching my vehicle.

#16 ·
It is frustrating to see but you should not be touching someone else's car.....I do not want anyone touching my vehicle.
Then you shouldn't use public charging stations if you leave your car there when it's done charging, period! Due to the low number of public charging stations, simply unplugging a car (when it's completed charging) to plug in another is the only way this whole public EV charging thing will take off.

#13 ·
Preconditioning is not a justified reason to stay plugged in when another EV is ready to plug in for a charge.

This issue reminds me of supermarket etiquette when in line at checkout. I've seen people leave their carts in line unattended while they go somewhere in the store fetching something more. I've gotten unhappy comments from a few of them when they return to see me ahead of them, which I unabashedly counter by reminding them that I go by the rule that lines are for people done shopping; clearly they were not done shopping and I was, so what's their problem? I don't care if they don't like it, because I don't like people who can't see how the world should not revolve around them. (Note- I relax my insistence with this rule if the person in front lets it be known they forgot an item which invites a courteous exchange of permission asked and permission given).

#18 ·
Thanks for the information... I was at a public charging station and searched the Internet to figure out whether or not the Volt that was using the station was done or still charging.

I drive a BMW ActiveE and for my vehicle you can tell if it is charging by a blinking BLUE light underneath the center rearview mirror. When the car is done charging it will be off. For those that drive ICE BMWs currently, or in the past, it is the same spot that is RED on ICE BMWs and is used when a BMW has a factory alarm.

Unfortunately it DOES NOT tell you State of Charge (SOC) by the blinking light. Only whether or not the car is charging or not.

Hope you get further updates on the how to tell.

--Dennis

#34 · (Edited)
I saw one last night near Vancouver City Hall. In fact, my Volt charged beside a Car2Go Smart ED, a Modo Leaf and a Modo iMiev. While unplugging my Volt I noticed that the Smart ED was plugged in, but not charging according to the ChargePoint display. ("Tap to start") I didn't see any visible indicator lights, but there is an analog gauge on the dash that shows the battery charge (the left one is charge, the right one is power demand while driving) It wasn't fully charged so I returned the connector to the holster and used my ChargePoint card to unlock and begin charging.

I really should stop by their office to see if I can get a key to be able to jockey their vehicles in and out of charging stalls...

Here's the Smart ED power gauge:

#22 ·
Has anyone disconnected their Volt from a public charging station without unlocking the doors first? I did this the other day, and I was fooling around with the cord (trying to wrap it around the hanger) when my Volt started honking at me. The same type of honks as the theft alarm. I had to use the remote to unlock the door before the honking stopped.

#23 · (Edited)
The whole public charging thing for a Volt baffles me. If there is any competition with a full blown EV, it seems inconsiderate to compete for space. In the event you don't get the charge....the 4 banger gets you home. The poor lady in the Leaf is at risk of being stranded.

#24 ·
Good point ^^^But by the same token it is a choice to use the ICE or charge the battery via an external source and I get why people are obsessed with never wanting to use the ICE, I just don't obsess about it like others on here seem to do.

#28 ·
The Toyota RAV4 EV has two amber lights at the bottom of the back side window above the charge port on the driver's side of the car. When charging from less than half a charge, the left light will blink and the right one will be off. Once past half charge, the left light will be solid and the right one will blink. Once fully charged, both amber lights will be solid.

As for charging etiquette, if I return to my car and see an EV has parked next to me but didn't plug in because all the other plugs were being used (usually by adjacent spots due to the EV spot being rudely taken by a gas car), I'll unplug my car and plug it in to the other car before I leave. Hopefully that driver would appreciate this, but I guess I can understand people not wanting others to touch their car.

#30 ·
As for charging etiquette, if I return to my car and see an EV has parked next to me but didn't plug in because all the other plugs were being used (usually by adjacent spots due to the EV spot being rudely taken by a gas car), I'll unplug my car and plug it in to the other car before I leave. Hopefully that driver would appreciate this, but I guess I can understand people not wanting others to touch their car.
I haven't yet encountered that situation, but if I pull into an adjacent space where someone is already charging, I plan to just leave my charge port open and a post-it on the charge cord handle. In that situation, I imagine that just about any EV owner would appreciate the gesture of having their car plugged in for them. It seems almost like common courtesy to me.

#36 ·
PowerTrip: The Ford Focus Electric is done charging when the ring around the charge port is fully lit. It's somewhat like the LEAF in that the quarters of the ring blink then come on solid as it charges.

I parked next to one on Tuesday and couldn't figure out how the heck you can tell it charges.

#40 ·
Not all of us have smart phone apps tracking charge state. Just the other day, I headed out to my car about 15 minutes early (I was waiting for a charge) because I needed to make a phone call. When I got there, my car was fully charged. So, by my best guess, someone could have been using that charger for almost 30 minutes, even though my initial charge time estimate said the car should have still been charging.

#42 ·
Generally, speaking, I don't know that I agree with a punitive system, or if one exists, it should be enforced on individual business/site level. Just as some businesses have a 20 minute parking section (though rarely enforced, they may tow cars parked there for too long), I think most EV parking spots should have a time limit. Generally, 2-4 hours depending on the site or business. If it is employee parking, there is no excuse for a lack of communication, in my opinion. Either install more charging stations, or have the impacted employees meet to establish a policy.

#47 ·
Hi, from someone I know that has a Th!nk here is their telltale:

The Th!nk has 2 green lights on top of the dash. When both are lit and linked, charging is in progress. If only one is lit, charging is complete. The plug release button on a Th!nk does nothing. It is only a mechanical release and has no effect on the charge current. There is no way to turn off the current in mid-charge on a Th!nk except to turn off the EVSE. Unplugging a Th!nk mid-charge can draw an arc and damage the connectors of both the car and the EVSE.

#48 ·
A quick update: On the new (2012-2014) RAV4 EV's, the two amber lights stay on for only a few minutes after a full charge. They then both turn off. A RAV4 EV is therefore charging if only one light is blinking (with the other either off or solid on). If both are off or both are on the charge is complete. If they blink in an alternate fashion (one on, other off, then switch), the car is in a delayed charge mode and probably shouldn't be at a public station.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.