GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chevy Volt 2013 and I just added a Rhino cross bar roof rack. I get a 12" foot. Kayak and a kayak rack that seats on top of my roof rack. Because the kayak is long it is recommended to strap the front and the back of the kayak to the car. The car have no towing hooks. Any suggestion of where to strap the kayak endings?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I carried a 14 foot kayak on a Celica (which had much closer bar spacing) for years without issue. I didn't bother tying down the back and for the front I just looped a strap around the hood latch. I used a piece of soft cloth to keep the strap from marring the paint. I also have a Rhino rack and plan on carrying my 14 foot kayak on the Volt. I am pretty sure I won't need a front tie down but will give it a test. In short, with the right rack (and the Rhino rack seems rock solid) I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Volt is my only car, so must be able to fulfill all daily duties. That includes carrying my 19' Triak on occasion. I have the Rhino racks, and I have no concerns about their stability. I would like to run a line from the front though. I had hopes of using the front tow bolt mounting, but apparently on the US and Canadian Volts that hole isn't threaded. I like billtphotoman's suggestion of looping around the hood latch, and will try that. The alternative is to get a rear hitch-mount carrier, such as the Thule Goalpost. Rhino has something similar, but I can't find it on the Rhino Canada website. Since I already have the TorkLift Stealth hitch, this may be the best option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any suggestion on where to tie the strap on the front side of the car? As mentioned there is no towing hook on the front.
I thought about some point ander the car. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
If a Volt has a rear trailer hitch kit installed, is there a support that could use the 1 1/4" receiver and extend up to support the rear of a kayak(s)?
If the rear was support securely would a kayak still need the front straps?
I hate touching that aluminum hood with straps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any suggestion on where to tie the strap on the front side of the car? As mentioned there is no towing hook on the front.
I thought about some point ander the car. Any suggestion?
Hood loops work very well for cars without a bumper attachment point. They are simply a nylon loop with a grommet that you attach to one of the bolts underneath the side of the hood. I have used a pair on my Traverse for 4 years with no problems with rubbing on the paint.

edit: I checked under my Volt's hood after posting this, and there are few available bolts exposed. You would have to check if the bumper stops would work.

Roof racks for the Volt have a narrow spacing and front tie-downs provide stability against cross-winds as well as back-up if part of the rack or a strap fails.

Thule makes one but there are also other manufacturers: http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/water-sport-carriers/water-sports-carrier-accessories/thule-hood-loop-strap-529-_-529999

There are also quick loops that you slip into the hatch for rear tie-downs. Thule as well as others also make these: http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/water-sport-carriers/water-sports-carrier-accessories/thule-quick-loop-strap-530-_-530999

·
Registered
356 Posts
If a Volt has a rear trailer hitch kit installed, is there a support that could use the 1 1/4" receiver and extend up to support the rear of a kayak(s)?
If the rear was support securely would a kayak still need the front straps?
I hate touching that aluminum hood with straps.
The only ones I have found (Rhino and Thule) only come in 2" receiver size. I suppose a local welder could make an adapter.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Or just have a weld shop work with 1- 1/4" square tubing and make a custom support exactly the size and shape you need.

I like the strap pieces that Blue J linked. Two of those front and rear should stabilize what's on the roof. You could wrap towel material around the straps where they touch the hatch and hood.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can fit two Snap On-Top Kayaks in the trunk of my Volt. Not room for much else though!

WP_000678.jpg

I can also put one of the kayaks in my hitch mounted cargo box, leaving room in the car for the dog or a cooler and some other odds and ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tying kayak to he volt

Hood loops work very well for cars without a bumper attachment point. They are simply a nylon loop with a grommet that you attach to one of the bolts underneath the side of the hood. I have used a pair on my Traverse for 4 years with no problems with rubbing on the paint.

edit: I checked under my Volt's hood after posting this, and there are few available bolts exposed. You would have to check if the bumper stops would work.

Roof racks for the Volt have a narrow spacing and front tie-downs provide stability against cross-winds as well as back-up if part of the rack or a strap fails.

Thule makes one but there are also other manufacturers: http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/water-sport-carriers/water-sports-carrier-accessories/thule-hood-loop-strap-529-_-529999

There are also quick loops that you slip into the hatch for rear tie-downs. Thule as well as others also make these: http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/carriers-and-racks/water-sport-carriers/water-sports-carrier-accessories/thule-quick-loop-strap-530-_-530999
I use the tie downs blue joule refers to and the back bike hitch. Some states require front and rear tie downs or 4 or 5 point tie downs. I still don't feel comfortable and confident to take volt with yaks on interstate for more than a few miles. Seen too many yAkshay in pieces on side of road. I do use a j cradle which helps. I use a yoga mat to protect Volt paint when loading and unloading.can just slightly yak right on to the rack. But I sure do miss the hooks my Japanese cars had. I thought they were made for tying down yaks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts