GM Volt Forum banner

How to safely change a shock/strut spring

250 8
I have done these before, but tbh it always scares me. The coil springs have a ton of stored energy and there's no redundancy in these tools. I have one these compressors:

Font Rectangle Bumper Automotive tire Gas

Any tips or tricks on how to do this safely and with less risk?

I would have purchased a ReadyStrut (pre-assembled) but I have had mediocre experiences with Monroe, and KYB doesn't have one for the Volt.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
buy a loaded strut

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've done a lot of car repairs over the years, but I draw the line here. 40 years ago I swapped a set of front struts to save a few bucks labor - scared throughout the entire process. Felt like I was handling a live grenade with no pin. Never again.

My tip: Take it to the shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have done these before, but tbh it always scares me. The coil springs have a ton of stored energy and there's no redundancy in these tools. I have one these compressors:

View attachment 175644

Any tips or tricks on how to do this safely and with less risk?

I would have purchased a ReadyStrut (pre-assembled) but I have had mediocre experiences with Monroe, and KYB doesn't have one for the Volt.
I've done this job, not on my Volt and it was a little nerve wracking. I used the more traditional "cheaper" compression tool that hook to the turns of the spring. It worked out fine in my case. You could always bring it to a local shop who might be willing to change over the springs? Go slow and check for signs of misalignment or slipping.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
well that sucks,i've done a bunch using the screw style compressors,never an issue till I did a friends suburu(forget the model).had to use 2 to get it started and 2 to grab the springs enough to release.after that,,I found a branick 7400 wall mounted spring compressor.
no more worries for me.

·
Administrator
23,029 Posts
moved to Use, care, maintenance...

·
Registered
190 Posts
The area where I live used to be very bucolic however it is now quite gentrified. There were a few garage operations with good old boys who would do simple stuff like spring replacement or a hub press for a 12 pack...and some hobnob...however it is all big name now and everyone wants the the whole car rather than the part. Last one I did I rented a spring compressor kit from the tool rental place close by that had the 2 long bolts with claws to grab the springs. It was a dodgy operation but it got the job done. I would spend the money and buy a complete spring/shock unit if available for the car. Our cars are 2 ton battery carriers and they give both the springs and shocks quite a workout...especially if one does a lot of driving where the roads are not well maintained.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The area where I live used to be very bucolic however it is now quite gentrified. There were a few garage operations with good old boys who would do simple stuff like spring replacement or a hub press for a 12 pack...and some hobnob...however it is all big name now and everyone wants the the whole car rather than the part. Last one I did I rented a spring compressor kit from the tool rental place close by that had the 2 long bolts with claws to grab the springs. It was a dodgy operation but it got the job done. I would spend the money and buy a complete spring/shock unit if available for the car. Our cars are 2 ton battery carriers and they give both the springs and shocks quite a workout...especially if one does a lot of driving where the roads are not well maintained.
I would have bought the assembled unit if it was available. Only name brand was Monroe and they've been hit or miss in the past for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts