GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am in the middle of a stereo install in a 2017 Volt Premier with the Bose system. It seems the common belief is that there's no room to run wires due to the molex in the door jamb. I was almost resigned to the fact that I'd have to use factory speaker wires through the doors, but there's a way to run your own without modifying the car.

I haven't found anyone pics online or read of anyone running their own speaker wires without drilling, so I thought I'd share the information...albeit, this will probably only interest 0.01% of Volt owners. :)

I'll start by saying that this was a pretty tedious undertaking, at least for me. But, hopefully it'll be easier for you with this guide.

To give you an idea of which panels I needed to remove, here are some pics. I basically removed as much of the panels on the side of and beneath the dash as I could.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The space to do all of the maneuvering is small. My method was to feed this area (the side that goes into the car) with as much wire as I could to grab hold of it on the other side. I put about 20 feet of wire into this area.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the right side of the car next to where the glove box would normally be. I pushed the existing carpeting material to the side so that I could peak into the area that I filled with wire. Seeing the wire, I used a hook tool to insert into the space and grab the wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The driver's side was more challenging due to less space to work with. I removed as much of the panels as I could. I then needed to unclip the fuse box (the pic is with it in place, but you can unclip on the left and right of it to get more space). It seemed the fuse box was hard wired and didn't have a clip I could undo, so I just moved it as much out of the way as I could. I used the same method of putting 20 feet of wire through for the driver's side and used the hook tool to grab once I could see the wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is where you can run wire from the door boot into the car. This is the larger boot that's connected to the car. You need to remove the rubber cover and unclip the plastic frame that rubber piece is connected to from the metal frame. In this pic, you can see where there is space to run your wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This fishing tool helped me pull wire through the boot. A large zip tie would probably do the same trick.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might be the only Volt owner who gains any satisfaction from running his own speaker wire, but there it is. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you'd rather tap into the factory wiring, here's a couple of pics. These locations are underneath the kick panel. I know some may want to just tap into the wires at the amp/radio module in the trunk, but here's another way.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts