GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any procedure to swap the battery?

I have a Volt that had a faulty BMS, that was replaced at a local non GM garage, with a BMS from Ebay. Then i brought the car to a Chevrolet dealer, that tried to program the car, but i gets an error code, that he is not able to get rid of:

d1eab

The dealer says that he cant delete the code, since
HYBRID/EV BATTERY POSITION CANTACTOR COMMAND and 0,00 351338 0 0,00 0 0
HYBRID/EV BATTERY NEGATIVE CONTACTOR COMMAND are OPEN . 0,00 351338 0,00 0 0,00 0 0

Is it possible to get rid of this error message? Is there any advice for the dealer?
Could it be the new BMS that is faulty as well? It has some damages from the transportation.
If the new BMS is faulty as well, is it possible to order a new one from somewhere? Or is it possible to send in the original BMS to get a new one by factory warranty?

Is it possible to fix this without replacing the whole battery?
All of the parts of the BMS are replaced, and the cells are supposed to be ok, so the procedure to configure the car, should be the same as when replacing the battery.

The history:
I imported a 2013 Volt from US to Norway. The factory guaranty is not valid here.
The BMS broke down on a trip to Sweden: It reported too high voltage on one cell, and to low voltage on the neighbor cell.
A Chevy dealer in Sweden could order a new battery, but the battery and transport of it would cost a lot, and he needed to fly in a mechanic from Germany to do the swap.
I asked local non gm garage home in Norway, and he thought it is just a faulty voltage measurement, and he suggested me to bring him the car, as i did.
I bought a BMS on Ebay, that i got from California. It had some damages from the transportation and bad package. The garage managed to replace all the parts, but we don't know if they are working.
Then i brought the car to a Chevy dealer in Oslo to program the car. They tried, but they don't get rid of error message d1eab.

There might be just a handful of Chevrolet Volts in Norway, and the dealers here does not know much about the cars.
There are some Opel Amperes on the roads and it is supposed to be some Opel Dealers with knowledge about Ampera, but i have not manage to find any.

I think the local Chevy dealer has imported may be 3 or 4 Volts. He told me he has another store, that had a car with the same problem, and they tried to exchange parts, until they gave up and sent the car to UK for a total battery swap.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You may not be able to find anyone with experience on this. The BMS is part of the powertrain warranty which is in effect for at least 8 years and 100,000 miles, so it's not likely anyone would have had to replace the BMW outside of the warranty.

·
Registered
907 Posts
A damaged BMS from Ebay?! No way I'd put an unknown part into an unknown car. Can your dealer order a known good BMS? Sorry, given your location, sounds like this will be expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts