GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to replace a damaged driver door side panel: Outer Finish Panel - GM (20933903). Below are photos of the old panel and replacement panel and a diagram showing the panel as part 22 among other parts.

I managed to remove a side exterior panel screw, back panel screw, and side interior screw (which I now think may be irrelevant based on closer inspection of the replacement panel). Photos below show the locations of each removed screw.

I don't know what to do next. How do I take off the old panel and replace it without messing up the seat adjustment levers? The old panel is still pretty securely fastened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comfort Grey Automotive exterior Auto part Automotive design

White Vertebrate Product Handwriting Human body

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Tool Wood

Gesture Thumb Gun accessory Wood Trigger

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Grey

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Sleeve Grey Carbon Tints and shades Sportswear

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won't get it off without removing the levers first. I'm pretty sure the big round cover (#25) can be carefully pried off and you'll find a nut or screws to remove the lever. #23 likely pulls/pries off unless you see a set screw on the side
Thank you so much. I got the new panel installed, but it was a difficult experience. I was able to pry part #25 off part #24 by using a very small flathead screwdriver wedged into the side. I initially tried to pry into a small hole from the bottom of the 3/4 circle in part #25, and that didn't work. I used a more standard size flathead screw driver to carefully pry the part #24 handle off of the main panel. I included some photos below of the removed handles and what things look like without them. I also discovered there was an interior screw under the seat at the front of the panel, and I had to remove that.

Getting the new panel back into place was the most difficult part of the whole experience. The key to getting that right was ensuring the seat back was evenly vertical or leaning back. Having it pushed too far forward in the beginning caused problems. Also, throughout the process, I occasionally had to move the seat forward and backward. I also raised the seat before starting the replacement. The new panel is very snug but not quite a perfect fit. I was also never able to get the front interior screw to reattach to the panel. I suspect there may have been a washer that went missing during the replacement process.

Black Grey Comfort Automotive tire Tints and shades

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

1 - 3 of 3 Posts