GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the front floor mats in my Volt (2013). I see the two "buttons" (or clips?). How do I disengage those? I tried pushing on the smaller button in the middle, to no avail. I try pulling on the mat, but don't want to break the clips or rip the paper-thin mats.

How do I get the mats out?

·
Administrator
20,158 Posts
Take a Sharpie pen or other rounded blunt object, press on the center "button" while gently prying the mat up from the underside. It will pop off. If you simply try to pull the mats up, the plastic outer rings may break. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
They are wide plastic clips and they are in most GM vehicles. Lift the bottom of the mat and pull it toward you while lifting. The clips are there to prevent the mat from sliding forward and getting under the pedals when stepping in and during the drive.
I know because my 1995 Regal has a replacement mat that slides forward a bit, but I mentally remind myself to pull it back with my left foot. My 2009 Equinox has the plastic clips. I remove the mats once a month to clean them, but I am worried that the clips may break off as the vehicle gets older and I keep cleaning it.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Do the first attempt on the passenger side.

The mat rings are also two parts that press together and you may have to re-attach if you pull it out incorrectly.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you try to pull up on the mat without lifting on the underside of the mat rings, the rings on the mat may separate between their top and bottom side components. I thought I had mine firmly supported and they pulled apart, then it was really hard to remove the remainder still attached to the car. T reattach to the floor mat, you have to make sure they are perftectly parallel then screw them together if I recall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts