GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost one of my original 2 Key Fobs, and it appears that the 2017 Volt Premier that I have requires two working Key Fobs to program a new one. I tried the procedure that was in the manual with just the one, and it didn't work.

Is there a way to program the 2nd new Key Fob with just one working one?

I am a little scared to try the alternate method that deletes all the working Key Fobs, because it is unclear if the old working Key Fob can be re-paired.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
637 Posts
A good scan tool will pair it. I used my school shop Snap On Solus to do pairing. It will also delete the missing fob.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, a quick google search shows that will cost >$300 (used on ebay), and it will cost $150 at the dealer. If I could find something that would work for close to that price, then I would do it. But I am not sure what I am looking at when I google. I found one that I thought was promising, but turns out it didn't work on American cars.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Not sure about the Gen II but on Gen I you only need one key to reprogram in US and two in Canada. Is it not the same for Gen II?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Yeah, the Gen II requires 2 working Key Fobs...which, imho, is really stupid.
Yah, means you should have a third sitting at home as a spare if you lose one. Need to get around to that some day.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I lost one of my original 2 Key Fobs, and it appears that the 2017 Volt Premier that I have requires two working Key Fobs to program a new one...
If I want to get a 3rd key Fob, what is the price given that I (still) have two working key fobs?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
637 Posts
Thanks, a quick google search shows that will cost >$300 (used on ebay), and it will cost $150 at the dealer. If I could find something that would work for close to that price, then I would do it. But I am not sure what I am looking at when I google. I found one that I thought was promising, but turns out it didn't work on American cars.
I completely understand that a high end scan tool is beyond most home users. However, just about any good independent shop will have one. Find a friendly shop, have them pair the fob. It will take less than ten minutes, but expect to pay for more time. I'd say .5, but even a 1.0 charge will be less than a dealer.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If I want to get a 3rd key Fob, what is the price given that I (still) have two working key fobs?
When I was looking into it (for a Gen I) there was one for about $80. I would think GenII would be about the same. I haven't looked since, you might have to look awhile before one comes on the market. I would think after they become an orphan, those with NOS stock might put them up.

·
Registered
513 Posts
After reading the learning procedure for programming a new one (which requires you to have 2 fobs) the first week we had our '17 I ordered one on eBay for $55. It's a genuine GM product with the same part number and it programmed quickly, using the procedure in the owners manual

If you wait until you lose one, the dealer will charge you 1/2 hour labor for the 2 minutes it will take him to program a new one and that will run you $67.50 to $75, depending on the local labor charge plus whatever you pay for the FOB. Buying one beforehand cuts that coast by nearly 2/3rds

Don

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did no one read the manual? As long as you aren't in Canada and you have a physical key blade and 30 minutes to spare, you don't need any working fobs to add new ones:

Programming without Recognized Transmitters

If two currently recognized transmitters are not available, follow this procedure to program up to eight transmitters. Canadian regulations require that owners see their dealer. This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. The vehicle must be off and all transmitters to be programmed must be with you.

1. Remove the key lock cylinder cap on the driver door handle. Insert the vehicle key of the transmitter into the key lock cylinder on the outside of the driver door and turn the key to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds. The Driver Information Center (DIC) displays REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.
  2. Wait for 10 minutes until the DIC displays PRESS START BUTTON TO LEARN and then press POWER O on the center stack. The DIC display will again show REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT.
  3. Repeat Step 2 two more times. After the third time, all previously known transmitters will no longer work with the
    vehicle. Remaining transmitters can be programmed during the next steps. The DIC display should now show READY FOR REMOTE #1.
  4. Remove the rubber mat in the center console storage area.
  5. Place the new transmitter into the transmitter pocket.
  6. Press and hold POWER O for two seconds. When the transmitter is programmed, the DIC will show that it is ready to program the next transmitter.
  7. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press UNLOCK on the transmitter. To program additional
    transmitters, repeat Steps 5–7. When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold POWER O for 12 seconds to exit programming mode.
  8. Return the key back into the transmitter.

·
1,027 Posts
well if you were really smart, you'd have them give you the 3rd fob as part of the deal in buying the car. It costs the dealers almost nothing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
well if you were really smart, you'd have them give you the 3rd fob as part of the deal in buying the car. It costs the dealers almost nothing.
I was smart (smart enough not to buy a lemon) and I bought my '17 slightly used (since I wouldn't qualify for the Federal $7,500 tax credit) so getting a free 3rd fob wasn't an option for me

Don

·
Registered
335 Posts
What's really disappointing is Spark EV owners manual describes procedure to add additional key wit only one key, but that procedure does not work. I cannot put Spark EV to learning mode, and I have a new FOB I would love to program...
So much for Chevy fully testing functionality before putting it to owners manual. Very disappointing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts