GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good solution to leaving the Volt and going surfing/kiteboarding/windsurfing/swimming?

Is there some take-with-you hard key solution beyond hiding a fob without a battery in/on the car and then going thru some gymnastics to start the car? The fob could be put in a plastic bag and carried, but that will fail.

I have read the manual and searched the forum, but this seems to elude me...Picking up my Volt today....

Thx

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
More and more automakers are making keyfobs but I'm unsure if the Chevy's is and even if someone "thinks" they are I'd double check with Chevy Live Chat...

There are multiple watertight case you can buy on amazon/ebay or even marine centers...

Other option is to take the key portion out which is water proof and leave the fob at home which I'm guessing was the answer you were looking for...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Is there a good solution to leaving the Volt and going surfing/kiteboarding/windsurfing/swimming?

Is there some take-with-you hard key solution beyond hiding a fob without a battery in/on the car and then going thru some gymnastics to start the car? The fob could be put in a plastic bag and carried, but that will fail.

I have read the manual and searched the forum, but this seems to elude me...Picking up my Volt today....

Thx
Where have you kept the keys to previous vehicles during similar activities?

People have done this for decades. Perhaps a waterproof holder of some kind on your person.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
There are lots of waterproof holders of all sizes.
Or hide the key on top of the rear tires. No one ever looks there.....
Obfuscation doesn't work 100% of the time. Cyber or real.

Of course, Elon thinks there is a 1 in 1Billion chance that we ARE NOT in a simulation right now.

To answer the question: Volt can be driven perfectly fine with the hard key that comes with it. Leave the electronics at home since leaving the fob in the car will allow easy theft. Of course, you could remove the fob battery and leave it in the car. Might confuse the crap out of the computers though when it suddenly comes alive within the car.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
There also could be kite surfing gear with built-in watertight compartments...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just be careful where you leave it. Too close to a door and you can unlock it by just touching the door button.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Where have you kept the keys to previous vehicles during similar activities?

People have done this for decades. Perhaps a waterproof holder of some kind on your person.
I remember someone using a diaper or "safety pin", attaching the key to their clothing. Other carry thei key in a watertight case hanging around the neck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
To answer the question: Volt can be driven perfectly fine with the hard key that comes with it. Leave the electronics at home since leaving the fob in the car will allow easy theft. Of course, you could remove the fob battery and leave it in the car. Might confuse the crap out of the computers though when it suddenly comes alive within the car.
Actually, no, from what I remember of the Gen2 manual, while the mechanical key will open the door, even if the fob battery is dead, the fob must be present and placed in the depression reserved for it in the console so the car can read it's RF id to enable the car to drive. If I am remembering correctly, you won't get far leaving the electronics at home.

It does seem unlikely though, that a thief would find the fob (with battery removed) if you are careful about where you hide it inside the locked car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello...I did not think You can take the hard key out without breaking the expensive Key Phobe. ????? Has this been done or is it just a idea?.
I was in the process of having the the hard key made at the locksmith for the 2013 I had. It takes a few calls and the Vin number and maybe even those other numbers for the key. I did not get those key numbers with the 2015 I have now.

I have left the key at the life guard station. The lock looks like a good way to go.

More and more automakers are making keyfobs but I'm unsure if the Chevy's is and even if someone "thinks" they are I'd double check with Chevy Live Chat...

There are multiple watertight case you can buy on amazon/ebay or even marine centers...

Other option is to take the key portion out which is water proof and leave the fob at home which I'm guessing was the answer you were looking for...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello...I did not think You can take the hard key out without breaking the expensive Key Phobe. ????? Has this been done or is it just a idea?.
I was in the process of having the the hard key made at the locksmith for the 2013 I had. It takes a few calls and the Vin number and maybe even those other numbers for the key. I did not get those key numbers with the 2015 I have now..
This is the Gen2 sub-forum. At least on my 2017, the hard key simply unclips from the rest of the fob by pressing the little button on the side.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh Yes. Tks. They must be different. It does not simply come off on the 2015. I do not wish to break it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Still trying for a solution. Would like to use a key that could get wet, and will try the key without a fob start, but think it may not work. The key is removable from the fob per the manual. So the next best is to carry the key, have a fob without battery that could be placed in the recess to be detected...Wow. Did not think it would be this complicated.....
I have had many cars, but none with proximity fobs...was going to pick up Volt today, but my Audi trade in will NOT let go. On the way to the dealer, had a flat...took it to tire place, no problem - oops tire need replacing, hey its under warranty - oops they are discontinued and you have all wheel drive ---we can get one from Ohio, only a week or two away...After calling to Volt dealer they want the car and will deal with the tire...Amazing....Next, maybe Audi coolant hose will blow on the way to pick up the Volt...Audi does not want to let go!!!!
I will report back as to the success of waterproof options, but am looking forward to one that does not involve carrying a fob to the water only to have the case fail and be stranded with a $200 fob replacement :(
Thanks for the inputs!
More ideas?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
My solution would be to take the battery out of the fob, it is easy to do. Leave the battery at home or take it with you, just depends on how much you want to fool with it. The car will run normally with the fob placed in it's special spot. It will not start without the fob.

When you arrive at the beach, remove the key and carry it with you. Hide the fob inside the car, not in the glove box or center console.

Most important, lock the doors MANUALLY. I would have to check the manual, but I think, if you lock the doors with the electric button, or let it lock automatically, it will arm the alarm. Then, when you return and unlock it with the metal key, the alarm will sound. Manually locking the doors should avoid this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My solution would be to take the battery out of the fob, it is easy to do. The car will run normally with the fob placed in it's special spot. It will not start without the fob.

When you arrive at the beach, remove the key and carry it with you. Hide the fob inside the car,

Most important, lock the doors MANUALLY. I would have to check the manual, but I think, if you lock the doors with the electric button, or let it lock automatically, it will arm the alarm. Then, when you return and unlock it with the metal key, the alarm will sound. Manually locking the doors should avoid this.
Will try that. Tried locking manually the car during the pickup at the dealership with the powered fob inside and window rolled down, "broke" into car and it was not alarmed. Dealers did not have a better idea, so unpowered extra fob sounds good.

Unfortunately, all the carry the fob in waterproof containers arguments fail in the surf...

Thx

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
In my last car I just got a plain metal key (that can only open the door but not start the car). Then I would have a fob or RFID key hidden somewhere inside the car. Volt has a few hiding places if you look around. The plain metal key won't be damaged by water so you can stash it in a wetsuit pocket or in a magnetic key holder under the car (in a hidden place that you can only determine by feel, not visually).

I do wish more carmakers used those external access buttons like Ford has.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It sounds like the proximity sensor used in the fob for the Volt and other vehicles is the real issue?

Perhaps you have a locksmith cut a metal only key and keep the fob inside the car. Locking manually using the key might just be the ticket? Keep the metal key on your person someplace while you are away from the car?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
This is the Gen2 sub-forum. At least on my 2017, the hard key simply unclips from the rest of the fob by pressing the little button on the side.
X2 (the MY16 does as well)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts