GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See the PDF linked below for jump starting the Volt. Print out for your glove box and/or download to your cell phone. Of course, this is an overview only. See the Owners Manual, for complete details.

View attachment Volt-Jump-Start-Overview.pdf

I updated the PDF to include both jump starting the Volt as well as using the Volt to jump start another vehicle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another VERY IMPORTANT note is that the above instructions are only to jump start the Volt. If you are jump starting another car FROM the Volt DO NOT CONNECT THE JUMPER CABLES TO THE TERMINALS IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT!

Here is a quote from the 2012 manual:

When using the Volt to jump start another vehicle with a run‐down battery, jumper cables are connected directly to the positive (+) and negative (−) terminals on the 12‐volt battery in the rear cargo area. Do not use the remote terminals under the hood. This could cause a fuse to overload in the Volt.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I decided a few years back when I bought a Prius that I would no longer jump start a vehicle from another vehicle. I started placing a combination jump start, air compressor, work light, usb port, and inverter in each vehicle.

I keep them charged using a 12V accessory port. I have had to replace the SLA battery in each unit every couple of years, but I rotate those into game feeders.

I would like to find one with a form factor for the Volt's storage compartment under the rear carpet. Ideally it would have a 5 minute timed switch to allow energizing the Volt's electronics system itself through the 12V connection, and then return itself to a charging state.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I decided a few years back when I bought a Prius that I would no longer jump start a vehicle from another vehicle. I started placing a combination jump start, air compressor, work light, usb port, and inverter in each vehicle.
I do the same thing. Most of the portable boosters have built in circuitry to prevent you from connecting them incorrectly as well. It's surprising how often people do it wrong... And it can be very dangerous to you, and it is very easy to damage the computer in the car as well.
Nowadays you can practically buy one for the price of a decent set of jumper cables anyway!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Jumping seems to be in he air today. With the Volt you don't need the usb port or the air compressor since you have these. The Volt doesn't need much power since you're only powering the computer not cranking the engine, so any of the small battery booster products should work and fit easily into the available space. Like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GO5E10/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00 or this http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-EA2045-SelfCharge-Jumper-Jumpstarter/dp/B000066OC8/ref=pd_sim_auto_2 You'll probably need to attach them to the battery with something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065L2D8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The Volt doesn't need much power since you're only powering the computer not cranking the engine, so any of the small battery booster products should work and fit easily into the available space.
Given that the 12v battery does not need to crank an engine (just boot the electronics), perhaps a $13, 12v lantern battery would work just fine as an emergency jumper for the Volt? Ace Hardware, $13.
Then again, a jump from another car works too. :)

Automotive battery Battery Technology Auto part Electronic device

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hi folks,

If you have a Menards store near you, starting tomorrow 12/9/2012 they have the Stanley SSLION battery booster device DonC mentioned (link) on sale for $30 with a $10 Menards credit check rebate.

The deal is on the cover of the "Stuff Your Stockings With Savings" advert, which you can see here.

Hope this helps somebody. If you can get your hands on one, your net cost will be less than half what this item usually goes for.

Also, don't forget you will need to get a cig-socket-to-ally-clips adapter, since you won't be able to use a 12V accessory socket to boot your Volt's computers this way. I've got to cobble together one of those myself.

Cheers,
Mike-o-Matic

PS. I hope this doesn't qualify as Spam... methinks not, as I have nothing to gain from it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Another little tid-bit

An addendum to my post about the Stanley SSLION booster...

Stanley doesn't go out of their way to make this known, but many of their automotive products are manufactured for them by Baccus Global. The applicable website is here. And, the manual for the SSLION is here.

I know it was a bit of a PITA to track this down for my own purposes, so there ya go!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have resolved the question from this source. After reading this, I got the solution. wiki. answers. com /Q/ How_do_you_jump_start_a_24_volt_lorry_with_12volt_car [/url]

·
Registered
167 Posts
See the PDF linked below for jump starting the Volt. Print out for your glove box and/or download to your cell phone. Of course, this is an overview only. See the Owners Manual, for complete details.

View attachment 8155

I updated the PDF to include both jump starting the Volt as well as using the Volt to jump start another vehicle.
Thanks for sharing this. Will keep with owners manual.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Does anyone know if this all has changed for the 2016? It's one of the nagging issues with the Volt, that the remote power terminal in the engine compartment can take power from another vehicle, but cant give it to another vehicle without risking damage to the Volt (have to use battery in trunk to jump another car...).

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Does anyone know if this all has changed for the 2016? It's one of the nagging issues with the Volt, that the remote power terminal in the engine compartment can take power from another vehicle, but cant give it to another vehicle without risking damage to the Volt (have to use battery in trunk to jump another car...).
Why is that a problem? That's how it _should_ work, logically.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I'd be surprised if the locations have been changed in the 2016. The only thing that the location seems to have been changed for is the charger.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Why is that a problem? That's how it _should_ work, logically.
Um, no, it's actually a poor design that invites damage to the vehicle. There will absolutely be well-meaning people who unwittingly try to use that terminal to start another vehicle, and end up damaging their Volt. There are no warnings on the terminal. Likewise, the warning language in the manual itself is buried in the text. There are no separate, clear warnings in bold face or otherwise. It's almost an afterthought. (pg. 10-72)

Other vehicles, Audis, Volvos and others that use remote battery terminals under the hood allow for power both into and out of the terminal, to either jump start the car, or give power to jump start another vehicle. The Volt should do the same. Hopefully the 2016 design has been fixed to allow it.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Um, no, it's actually a poor design that invites damage to the vehicle. There will absolutely be well-meaning people who unwittingly try to use that terminal to start another vehicle, and end up damaging their Volt. There are no warnings on the terminal. Likewise, the warning language in the manual itself is buried in the text. There are no separate, clear warnings in bold face or otherwise. It's almost an afterthought. (pg. 10-72)

Other vehicles, Audis, Volvos and others that use remote battery terminals under the hood allow for power both into and out of the terminal, to either jump start the car, or give power to jump start another vehicle. The Volt should do the same. Hopefully the 2016 design has been fixed to allow it.
As I see it, you want the car to be able to be jumped from both ends, but it's way better to be able to jump other cars from the rear.

Before I used the Volt to jump another car I read the instructions in the manual. So far I haven't read any stories that anyone's fried their Volt when jumping another car. I think your concern is unnecessary.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
As I see it, you want the car to be able to be jumped from both ends, but it's way better to be able to jump other cars from the rear.

Before I used the Volt to jump another car I read the instructions in the manual. So far I haven't read any stories that anyone's fried their Volt when jumping another car. I think your concern is unnecessary.
Just keep a noco genius in your car (about $120 bucks). This way you can jump start your OWN car and if you choose, you can help someone else. Either way, you don't have to worry about hooking it up wrong because it won't let you ;)

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is not a "nagging issue" for me. I know how it works so I never think about it. It doesn't weigh down my daily life at all.

You have read the manual and you know how things work. But since it bothers you, print a warning decal and stick it on the inverter cover so you can have peace of mind: "To jump start another car use the battery terminals in the rear of the car. DO NOT CONNECT THE JUMPER CABLES TO THE TERMINALS IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT!" Problem solved.

Or, print a copy of this PDF which also includes the cable connection sequence and keep it in the glove box: http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8155&d=1353963126

1 - 20 of 31 Posts