GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
$430 seems crazy just to add this accessory. Still it would be nice to have as my driveway is not well lit. I am hoping this will help make plugging in at night a little easier. I decided to take the plunge and see how hard it would be to do a self install. I ordered the kit from an online dealer for $129.85 plus shipping. The picture below is what comes supplied in the kit. I think it should be pretty easy to install. The old bezel just popped right out with a small screwdriver. It will just require fishing the new leads from the illuminated bezel through the drain hole and up through the fender with the supplied routing tool. Then its just a matter of routing it over to the main harness connector and plugging it in. It looks like there are two plugs in the connector that need to be removed and then the new leads can be attached to the harness connector. I plan to attempt the install this weekend when I have some time. I will try to post some additional pictures of the install.

Audio equipment Technology Auto part Electronic device

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered from GMoutletparts.com which is evidently run by Ed Rinke Chevrolet. I am not affiliated in any way, it was just the best price I could find on the kit. The part number for the 2016 volt kit is 23413649.

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
In Canada the charge port light was about $300 and the Interior lighting package was around $630 , was alot of work for the dealer to install, seats had to be removed etc.
You guy's down south are getting it cheap.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Their price is for the parts only.

The charge port doesn't seem to be difficult (30mins at dealer), but the interior lights must be much more involved to install.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here are my notes from the install-

Tools used:
small flat screwdriver
needle nose pliers- to remove plugs in harness connector
paper clip- to remove plugs in harness connector(this is a must have)
semi rigid wire for fishing the wires through drain hole and fender- One was included in the new bezel kit.
A bit of electrical tape- to temporarily attach new wires to semi rigid fishing wire.
snips- to trim the included zip ties
flashlight

Set 1, #1- I carefully pried out the bezel with a small screwdriver
Set 1, #2 & #3- These pictures just show the connection points on the bezel and the housing. These three points just snap together to hold the bezel in place.
Set 1, #4 & #5 -These show a front and a side view of the main harness connector. See Set 3 #13 for location of the main harness connector under the hood(it’s circled in red). This is where the new wires from the lighted bezel connect to. There are empty slots in the connector for the terminals to attach to but there are plugs in the connector that must first be extracted. Plugs needed to be removed from both slot 7(white plug) and slot 8 (blue plug).

Set 2, #6 & #7- Here the harness connector is shown disconnected and the inner part has been pulled out just a bit. There is a bit of a trick to getting the plugs out. I had to first disconnect the connector halves. Then there is a small slot (see red arrow on #7)on the white part where I used a small screwdriver to slightly pry out the white inner part of the connector to roughly 1/8 to 1/4 inch out of its housing. Sliding it out releases the lock on the plugs. After the white part was slid out a bit, I used a paperclip to push on the plug from the inside of the connector and needle nose pliers on the outside to pull the plugs out.

Set 2, #8 & #9- These are just two views of white plug that was removed from slot 7 of the harness connector.

Set 2, #10- Location of drain hole in charge port housing, This is where the wires from pigtail on the new bezel go through. From there they were fished through the fender and run over to the harness connector(see Set3, #13 for an overview of the routing of the wires). After routing the wires I slid the plastic conduit(supplied in kit) on. This needed to be done before I connected the new wires into the connector. After the conduit was on I secured the conduit with the supplied zip ties.

Set 3, #11- This is a view from the back side of the charge port housing(inside fender) of the pig tail being fished up through the fender. This was taken just after putting the pigtail through the drain hole in the charge port housing. In this picture the new wire terminals seen are just below the back side of the charge port housing.

Set3, #12-This shows the two new wires in the installed in the connector. The terminals are two different sizes so its impossible to mix them up. They click into place when properly inserted into the connector. Once they are in, I slid the white part of the connector back into the housing so that the end was flush with the black part and then snapped the connector halves back together.

Set3, #13- This is an overview of the routing of the new wires(line highlighted in red) and also the location of the harness connector where the new wires are connected(circled in red).

Set4, #14- the finished product- DIY success!

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered the illuminated charge port today... I used Costco discount for 15% off on parts and got it for $149. I'm gonna give those pics and instructions a try. Seems do-able. Thanx for the pictorial and instructions....

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Installed the illuminated charge port today. The part I thought would be hard turned out to be fairly easy, and the part I thought would be easy turned out a bit harder. There is a 10 page set of instructions from GM that describes the installation process. The instructions are not included in the kit, so one needs to ask for them separately. The steps that type2pilot described above are pretty close.

One recommendation I have is to try bending the end of the fish wire and then test it _before_ taping the charge port wiring. It goes into the drain hole, but then needs to be routed towards the front of the car and upwards. Takes a few times to get the bend right. Once this is done, use vinyl electricians tape to tape the wires to it and re-fish. Easy.

The part that messed me up was removing the white insert plug from the electrical socket. (See type2pilots 2nd set of photos, the middle and fourth photo.) Most of the white inserts protrude out the back a bit so they can be tugged on with a needle nose pliers while using a paper clip on the other side to trip the tang - as type2pilot described. However in my case, the insert was broken. I didn't have a needle nose thin enough to reach inside and grab it. So a friend brought over several industrial strength tweezers to try. To make a long story short, we finally got it out with me pushing a paperclip in one side to dis-engage the tang, and him pulling on it with the tweezers.

The rest was just plug and play. The kit includes a length of corrugated split loom tubing and some zip ties to make things neat and clean. Works like a charm.

My friend also brought me a little holiday gift. He found a used copy of "Volt" - a book published in 2010 which describes the development history of the car. Looks like fun reading.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I am happy with a decent Napa Valley Cabernet. The charge port was $122.50 + s/h (shopchevyparts.com). Not sure I've ever spent more than half that for a bottle of wine.

The Volt book is pretty neat. Names lots of names and has a lot of details, artists conceptions, and so on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Question on the wiring: using the circuit described, when is it illuminated? All the time or only when the lights are on?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Question on the wiring: using the circuit described, when is it illuminated? All the time or only when the lights are on?
It is illuminated when the charge port door is open, and stays on for some number of seconds. It also goes off when the door is closed. So pretty helpful when it is dark outside. While charging, it blinks in unison with the light on the dashboard. When charging is complete, it is not illuminated - even though the light on the dashboard is solidly on. Then when removing the plug, it lights up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All done the install.

Thanks for the suggestions SomewhereinOregon and Chiumanfu. Finally took it apart. I was scared I was going to break it the entire time (maybe the New England weather made it a little tougher).

Also thanks to type2pilot and wws for the instructions and insight. Overall a pretty easy install, took a little over an hour even with my trouble with the harness. Definitely not worth the $175 quote my dealer gave me for just the install.

I would recommend pulling the entire harness towards the front car to disengage it from the plastic piece securing it. Also, removing the white wire is a lot easier to do with two people as wws described (even if the insert isn't broken).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Green Light Automotive lighting Auto part Headlamp

Final product. Expensive, but worth the $140 paid while Chevy was running the 20% deal off accessories. My Volt feels more complete :D

Hopefully I'll be able to find the gloss black wheels at a decent price before spring.

1 - 19 of 71 Posts