GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas how to do this? Any federal grants to pay for it? What does it cost? Can they get reduced electrical rates for adding it?
I work at a hospital that does not have a charging station now. There is one at theater across the street. Smaller hospital but part of a large hospital chain

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Charge at home. If your choice of residence doesn't offer that then ask how much it would cost on your rent for a dedicated parking slot with EV charging. With the range that EVs are capable of today there is even less need for charging at work. Let alone just wait till you find that asshat EV driver who is more entitled that you. I know where my friend works here in Atlanta their management had to step in and even threatened to remove the ones they installed. Now they have to get a ticket each day to charge from the front desk.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my first plan is to talk to facilities and see if there is a outdoor socket I can plug into. I can full charge during my 12.5 hr shift on standard 110 outlet.
60 miles one way. I need to charge at work. Main reason I got the Volt. Should be able to do about 45 EV miles each way as it's all open highway.
If I'm always using the public charger across the street, someone will eventually get upset.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
The other thing people need to remember is that if you aren't charged for parking, employer provided free charging is a taxable income item according to the IRS. If you have to pay to park, then it isn't.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke with our CEO last week. Discussed the idea of adding 14-50 plugs in the parking lot as any EV owner can use their own plugs to charge at work and cost stays low for the install.
He liked the idea of offering EV charging to draw in potential employees who would commute about 60 miles in like I do. He said they are going to repave the parking lots this summer so that would be a good time to look at adding the wiring/charging options.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
The other thing people need to remember is that if you aren't charged for parking, employer provided free charging is a taxable income item according to the IRS. If you have to pay to park, then it isn't.
Shhhhhhh!!!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
With Demand Based charging, few employers will want to put up more EVSEs.
It's not the kWh's used, it's the peak kW that determines the monthly base rate.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
How can they possibly know how much charge you used if the charge parking isn't assigned and charging is free. Different people using it different amounts during the day. Also if it is used for general public as well as employees?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
How can they possibly know how much charge you used if the charge parking isn't assigned and charging is free. Different people using it different amounts during the day. Also if it is used for general public as well as employees?
My experience includes one work location with a commercial Level 2 charging station and the other with free Level 2 charging. For the commercial charging station, I paid US $0.20/kWh to charge so most days I would charge for 60 - 75 minutes for approx. 4 kWh. I would use 7.1kWh to reach the second work location (~29 miles) so I would charge for 3 hours to fully recharge. If I was paying to charge at the second location, depending on the cost, I would only charge for 1 hour as it costs me just ~ US $0.16/kWh to charge at home. I would just estimate the number of days/week/month that I charged and pay that amount for use of the charging infrastructure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts