GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read others' towing nightmwares and didn't notice any notes about how the parking brake was disengaged for the tow truck. One instance did mention soaping up the wheels implying the wheels were still locked by the parking brake and the car "slid" onto the tow truck.

WOT had a great post (thanks WOT) on disengaging the shifter in an emergency but WOT also explicitly states,
If your electric PARK BRAKE is applied the car may still be immovable (there's another process to manually release the park brakes but it is too involved to be an emergency procedure)
Does this mean we're out of luck with respect to disengaging the parking brake with a dead Volt? I completely missed this part. I occasionally ride a car ferry and after seeing a car dead car pushed off the ferry, I began to wonder if my Volt died on the ferry how I'd deal with that without enduring the communal road rage from passengers getting onto the ferry I'm holding up.

·
4,862 Posts
I would assume (?) that you could simply "jump" the Volt with some 12V power off another vehicle and use that to disengage the parking brake.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I only use the parking brake on very steep inclines-only to avoid jamming the parking sprag. What are the odds of a "dead Volt" on a steep hill? Low, I think. Also, I carry a Juno Jumper for backup 12 volts.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I use my parking brake every time I stop, even to let passengers in or out. you should too.

But that doesn't answer you question- I have never seen a tow driver care about whether they were sliding locked wheels or not, they just drag the car up on the flatbed, locked or not. have you?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I understand it, the EPB engages the parking brake much like you would with a manual pull lever, plunger, or pedal. Unfortunately, if EPB doesn't work (e.g., no power, button broken, other malfunction of electronics) there's no way you can manually override the EPB similar to the fix for the shifter provided by WOT. In the gear shifter stick, there's a pin that prevents you from shifting from park unless you have brakes depressed. With a powered Volt, a solenoid will disengage the locking pin when you press the brake pedal allowing you to shift from Park to Drive. If the Volt is dead somehow, the solenoid won't work. WOT provided details about using a screwdriver to manually disengage the locking pin.

Pulling a fuse would only deny power to a component and wouldn't disengage the parking brake which by design, should work without any power (hence why you use it when you park a car). The problem here is how to either a) release the parking brake manually somehow or b) restoring power to the EPB so it can disengage the parking brake (maybe use a booster battery, but this assumes the EPB itself is not malfunctioning).

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Pulling a fuse would only deny power to a component and wouldn't disengage the parking brake which by design, should work without any power (hence why you use it when you park a car). The problem here is how to either a) release the parking brake manually somehow or b) restoring power to the EPB so it can disengage the parking brake (maybe use a booster battery, but this assumes the EPB itself is not malfunctioning).

Even if the Parking Brake Control Module itself has failed with the parking brake engaged, there is a manual brake release tension adjustment hidden under a cover show in the pic above...

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Even if the Parking Brake Control Module itself has failed with the parking brake engaged, there is a manual brake release tension adjustment hidden under a cover show in the pic above...
This is that module between the wheels underneath the car that I was looking at when it was on the lift, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
This is that module between the wheels underneath the car that I was looking at when it was on the lift, isn't it?

Doh, just noticed this was posted in the Gen2 section!:eek:

On the Gen1 the Parking Brake module is mounted behind the rear tire driver's side. OP or someone else with a Gen2 could chime in with the location of theirs...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, somms! Will try to look for that module on the Gen 2, but it might be a while (not a gear head, no jack stands handy).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts