GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out of town in June for 4 weeks, and found the 12V battery dead while the car was connected the whole time through the 120v wall charger. 8 months later the battery was completely dead and left me strangled. So I ended up replacing the 12v battery which was not cheap.

I will be out of town for 4 weeks again soon. I bought a Battery Tender Junior this time to prevent the battery form draining again. Should I connect it thought the +/- electrodes on the battery, or I can simply connect to the +/ground connectors underneath the hood for jumping the car? The latter would be a lot of easier as the battery us under a plastic cover that has 4 screws. Not a big deal, bu apparently poping the hood is easier.

Thank you.
Ponde

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yes, you can connect to the jump terminals under the hood, which is easier than accessing the battery directly.

It is odd you had trouble leaving it on the charge cord for 4 weeks. That is supposed to be OK.

Another tip is you can put the car in "transport mode" which reduces battery drain, helpful when the car is not in use.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep. I have a couple of those and they have been working for years . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all!

One more question, with a battery tender connected, should the Volt be connected to a wall charger or not?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
While GM likes the battery connect to wall charger all the time when stored for 30+ days I would not. Apparently (according to another post) they like it unplugged at 30 to 40% of charge (where the Lithium ion is happiest). I wouldn't think a 12V battery would discharge in a month or two unless there is some kind of vampire charge. Doesn't everything turn off after a while? I know it is hard to get a handle on that because anytime you do anything to/around the car, something opens an eyelid and says "you talking to me?" starting a drain on the battery.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
"you talking to me?"

I think the car is saying "is that the FOB in your pocket " or some other May West saying.

For those of us with a gen 1 - we drain the big battery
then plug in the 120 volt charging cable and set the time of day charge rate to charge to one hour a day at low amp setting.

that will cover charging once a day for almost 2 weeks

------
An alarm on the battery that rings at 11.9 Volts would be a nice DIY project
When I did HAM radio event, field day and storm spotting OR camping that came in handy many times

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Thank you all!

One more question, with a battery tender connected, should the Volt be connected to a wall charger or not?
The manual recommends you do one of those things or the other, but it does not seem to suggest doing both at the same time. With the EVSE plugged in, the battery maintenance mode will intermittently charge the battery using power from the EVSE. I don't know if that would necessarily create a conflict with the Battery Tender Jr. but personally, I would not risk it and I would use one or the other.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have left my Volt for several months at a time, what I did was leave the EVSE plugged in (it's a Clipper Creek Level 2) and also connect the battery tender jr directly to the 12V battery. I had a timer on the battery tender that would turn on for only an hour or two at night, when the Volt wasn't charging (it would have been fully charged anyway but I had it set to charge from 2-6AM as needed). This way, if there was some sort of conflict, the battery tender would only be on for an hour or two and would turn off before the Volt started charging.

It worked fine, when I returned 2 months later the 12V and main batteries were fully charged.

I could have left the EVSE unplugged but was worried about high temperatures in the summer and though the Volt would be able to use wall power to keep the main battery cool. I later found out that it will only do this for a short time (a few weeks?) and after that it will make no attempt to keep the battery cool. So the best thing would have been to leave it with about 50% charge, unplug the EVSE, and leave the battery tender connected and on all of the time.

·
Registered
2018 Volt
28 Posts
We have a 2012 and a 2015. We don't use them during the sloppy, salty winters. It was my understanding that the 2015 keeps the 12V battery charged, but the 2012 does not. I leave both plugged in to the EVSE, I don't do anything with the 2015, but use a small solar charger on the 2012. No problems so far.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I...was worried about high temperatures in the summer and thought the Volt would be able to use wall power to keep the main battery cool. I later found out that it will only do this for a short time (a few weeks?) and after that it will make no attempt to keep the battery cool....
Can you point us to any documentation on this? I was unaware that TMS would stop running in a vehicle on long-term storage that is plugged into an EVSE.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to leave my '13 Volt in a very hot garage from June till November. I know from experience that the 12v battery will go dead. I'm going to attach a trickle charger to fix that, but what about the drive battery? Reading posts here I'm supposed to leave it charging as usual, leave it charging with the original wall charger, unplug it entirely, unplug it and leave it half charged, or use the transport mode. So sitting in a garage where the temps reach over 100 degrees during the day for a few months and not run for 5 months, what it the best method to use?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I have to leave my '13 Volt in a very hot garage from June till November. I know from experience that the 12v battery will go dead. I'm going to attach a trickle charger to fix that, but what about the drive battery? Reading posts here I'm supposed to leave it charging as usual, leave it charging with the original wall charger, unplug it entirely, unplug it and leave it half charged, or use the transport mode. So sitting in a garage where the temps reach over 100 degrees during the day for a few months and not run for 5 months, what it the best method to use?
If you'll read the Volt Owner's Manual you will find the following instructions regarding long term storage of the Volt. When parking, not driving the Volt for less than 4 weeks you should leave the Volt plugged in. When storing the Volt for more than 4 weeks you should leave the Volt unplugged with 30% SOC charge remaining in the battery. Either disconnect the negative connection from the 12V AGM battery or else connect a 12V battery tender to keep the 12V charged.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Long Term Storage Guide in the Newcomers FAQs
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...y-Charging-amp-Battery-Managment-System-FAQ-s

Can you point us to any documentation on this? I was unaware that TMS would stop running in a vehicle on long-term storage that is plugged into an EVSE.
Volt Thermal Management Band FAQ in the Newcomers FAQs
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?105537-Chevy-Volt-Engineering-and-Design-FAQ-s
and this chart is helpful as well https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...ent-system-temperature-band&p=48601#post48601

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
a Wemo Mini Smart Plug is about $25 and you can trigger auto with the internet of things or via a smartphone app.

I do not like the idea of an always on charger connected to a battery

Used one like that for Xmas lights

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks, Steverino. I’m facing a challenge in that I’ll be parking the vehicle in Phoenix for three months this summer. It will be stored in my un-airconditioned garage where ambient temps can reach 120° F. Obviously it’ll need TMS, so I’ll store it plugged in (Clipper Creek LCS-20). A few questions:

1) I found nothing in the TMS Temp Band FAQ thread to suggest that TMS only works for a few weeks in a stored vehicle, as suggested earlier (Post 11) in this thread. My read is that TMS will operate to keep battery temps “within the band” in a vehicle stored plugged in for as long as it’s plugged in. Am I missing something?

2) For my 3-month-on-charger storage, would a remote start several times a week help keep the 12-volt battery charged?

3) Will TMS operate during my 3-month-on-charger storage if the vehicle is in Transport Mode? Will remote start work in Transport Mode?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
On my 2012 Volt -- only 2 remote starts allowed then you must key start the Volt for another 2 remote starts.

The Volt already has a build in charge timer for one hr ( or inc of 1 hr + ) in the time of day rate menu .

At 8 amp 120 volts that would give 10 to 12 day

Keem in mind The Volt Remote comm shuts down after a few days of no use.

A good 120 volt time controlled box to the car or a battery charger would make this easy.
( you can even water the grass as the same time )

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks, Steverino. I’m facing a challenge in that I’ll be parking the vehicle in Phoenix for three months this summer. It will be stored in my un-airconditioned garage where ambient temps can reach 120° F. Obviously it’ll need TMS, so I’ll store it plugged in (Clipper Creek LCS-20). A few questions:
For 3 month storage, I would look up the battery storage temperature spec (much higher) as the upper limit, leave the battery pack at about 30-50%, and put into transport mode not plugged in and walk away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts