GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name's Robb. I just registered on here and have a couple questions. Just bought a used 2013 and I love it. Reading through the threads there's a lot of talk about fuel economy while the car is in the ICE mode. I've been looking for some kind of read out on that on the different menus, like the Prius had, but haven't found any way other than simple math to see that. Am I missing something. Also, while in the electric mode, the little fuel gauge is greyed out, although it's still readable. Is the fuel gauge accurate while driving in the electric mode?

Last question... this car recently came off a 3 year lease and has 67.000 miles. The lifetime fuel economy readout is 41 mpg. At first this concerned me, thinking there might be something wrong with the car, but am thinking this was probably a company car used for travel. My best guess is that the PO probably expensed his gas, so he rarely bothered to charge the batts and ended up driving it like a normal car. Assuming this is true, do you think it harmed the battery spending the first 3 years at min charge? Everything is working great... I get 41 -45 miles indicated after a full charge and that does seems to be pretty accurate. Also, seems that full charge number has increased from 41 to 44 or 45 since I've been driving it, which is only about 500 miles. Does the computer learn your driving habits and adjust the read out accordingly?

Anyway, all in all I couldn't be happier with this car. There definitely is a learning curve involved here and I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. I've read the manual but couldn't find any of the above questions. Hope everyone is having a happy 4th weekend.

Ciao

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Hi, My name's Robb. I just registered on here and have a couple questions. Just bought a used 2013 and I love it. Reading through the threads there's a lot of talk about fuel economy while the car is in the ICE mode. I've been looking for some kind of read out on that on the different menus, like the Prius had, but haven't found any way other than simple math to see that. Am I missing something. Also, while in the electric mode, the little fuel gauge is greyed out, although it's still readable. Is the fuel gauge accurate while driving in the electric mode?

Last question... this car recently came off a 3 year lease and has 67.000 miles. The lifetime fuel economy readout is 41 mpg. At first this concerned me, thinking there might be something wrong with the car, but am thinking this was probably a company car used for travel. My best guess is that the PO probably expensed his gas, so he rarely bothered to charge the batts and ended up driving it like a normal car. Assuming this is true, do you think it harmed the battery spending the first 3 years at min charge? Everything is working great... I get 41 -45 miles indicated after a full charge and that does seems to be pretty accurate. Also, seems that full charge number has increased from 41 to 44 or 45 since I've been driving it, which is only about 500 miles. Does the computer learn your driving habits and adjust the read out accordingly?

Anyway, all in all I couldn't be happier with this car. There definitely is a learning curve involved here and I'm sure I'll have more questions soon. I've read the manual but couldn't find any of the above questions. Hope everyone is having a happy 4th weekend.

Ciao
It wouldn't have hurt the battery to be only a little used. All the battery-preserving stuff (cell balancing, temperature management, etc) would have happened regardless.

The range estimate (occasionally "guess-o-meter" as a term of art here) will vary based on many things, but historical usage is indeed a strong factor. Temperature is another, and 44-45 is pretty darn good. (Winter will see that number down into high 20s, here in the upper midwest.)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Oh, and yes, math is the only way to get fuel efficiency for a particular trip. The Energy Usage screen (behind the leaf button) will give you the gas and gas miles figures to do that though, since whenever the thing was last fully charged. VoltStats will automatically track the aggregate and give easy access to total figures since the car rolled off the assembly line too.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You can zero out the mileage summary (driver screen) when the ICE kicks in (by holding the button down until it clears) and note what it says when you reach your destination.

I think Gen 2 is better with keeping them separate.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of electric driving from someone whose four year old 2012 Volt is going strong (just drove 47.7 electric miles on a full charge yesterday)!

The displayed electric and gas range estimates are, indeed, based on computer data records of previous driving usage. Estimate = amount of available fuel x computer calculated fuel mileage. On-the-fly estimates based on your driving and the climate and terrain will change as you drive and the fuel is consumed. Full charge estimates are based on historical driving data, weighted toward more recent driving. Ranges cycle through the year, higher in warm weather, lower in cold. Your gas mileage is better when the ICE runs long enough to warm up properly, lower when cold, so if the majority of your gas use is for short periods of travel (e.g., that final mile or two to reach home, etc.), a lowered gas mileage number, when multiplied by the gallons of gas remaining in the tank, may not actually reflect the distance you could drive using it to fuel a warmed-up gas motor.

There is no display on the Volt that breaks down the odometer reading into Electric Miles and Gas Miles, other than the center usage display for the current trip (reset by fully recharging the battery). As colchiro has pointed out, you can reset the A or B trip counter on the driver’s screen after the ICE has started to get on-the-fly gas mpg readings, or use the center usage screen readings and math to get the total trip gas mpg.

If you have an OnStar account, you can create an account on the MyVolt. com website or register your Volt on the Voltstats.net website (don’t need an account to view the stats for currently registered Volts to see what’s available there). OnStar will upload certain data to those sites, which you can then view there, including total miles and ev miles. The myvolt website often works better for me when viewed with a Firefox browser than with the Internet Explorer browser. There's also a Facebook page for Volt Owners, where questions can be asked and answered.

With an OnStar account, you can also access data via phone or tablet with two similar apps, the OnStar Remote and the MyChevrolet app (both free). The OnStar Basic Plan services include the OnStar Remote app’s Key Fob services, but the Vehicle Status and Map Location services require an upgraded OnStar plan. Same thing applies to the newly revised MyChevrolet app.

You can, of course, estimate your current Electric/Gas miles split. Odometer / lifetime MPG = lifetime gas consumption, and multiplying lifetime gas by an estimated 37 mpg when using gas will give you total gas miles. Math will then provide total ev miles and ev %. Your lifetime gas consumption in gallons, by the way, is also the number of electric miles you need to drive (without any gas miles) to increase your lifetime MPG by 1.0000.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Onstar is giving free 3 year basic subscriptions on used Volts (or they were recently), basically so they can get your usage information. This gives you access to usage stats, the vehicle status reports, and the remote features of the App (remote start and unlock from the App on the phone).

I then go connect my onstar to voltstats.net and look at the information there. I don't get tank by tank information, but gives me the overall mileage I have been getting.

Otherwise, for an individual trip, I reset the second trip meter as soon as charge runs out as someone else suggested. Not ideal, since the computer might be a little less accurate than calculating out since it is integrating fuel usage over time, but still it is good enough and what we have. I say this as the computer in my other cars can be very optimistic at times (shows 24 mpg but only got 20 mpg), but I think the Volt is more accurate.

For example, I am only averaging 30 mpg CS (charge sustaining), but most of my gas usage is in the winter. I get 35 mpg recently, 75 mph with AC or about the same around town in the summer.
http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/5724

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I don't bother at all trying to figure out ICE MPG. I just look at the lifetime MPG (mine is around 81) and smile. If you charge your battery daily and your commute isn't too long, you'll see MPG climb.

And you can probably blame GE for your volt's low MPG. They gave employees company cars, but only reimburse them for gas but not electricity, so most cheapskates never plugged them in. It was definitely a case of unintended consequences.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
for those of us with the 250 MPG and holding display and want a quick life time number then

a quick change to metric reading will give a better number.

or if you want to use rods to the hogshead https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFF_system

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Similar to your experience, I bought a 2013 Volt last year with only 10,000 miles. However, the fuel economy indicated 35 MPG and the battery pack was never charged, did not even come with a charging cable from the small-lot dealership where I bought the Volt. Unfortunate that every buyer does not use the battery pack. Of course, barriers remain to charging. At work, I must run a long extension cord to the only 110-volt electric outlet in the parking area associated with a lamp post. At home, I hike more than a half-mile every night to use a free public charging station. My homeowner association banned electric vehicle charging from the premises.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Our 2014 Volt averages according to Voltstats a little over 36 mpg lifetime. Even though on trips we average usually high 30's in winter to low to mid 40's mpg (just on gas) in summer. Low mpg's on the gas engine on most Voltx is usually the engine only runs for a few miles/minutes when consumption is going to be high from a cold engine. Even our 2010 prius the first 5 miles or so is usually in the mid 30's mpg until the engine warms and then goes to high 40's to mid 50's mpg. Now are lifetime with 41,000 miles is 147 mpg, which includes many trips outside the range of electric power.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Similar to your experience, I bought a 2013 Volt last year with only 10,000 miles. However, the fuel economy indicated 35 MPG and the battery pack was never charged, did not even come with a charging cable from the small-lot dealership where I bought the Volt. Unfortunate that every buyer does not use the battery pack. Of course, barriers remain to charging. At work, I must run a long extension cord to the only 110-volt electric outlet in the parking area associated with a lamp post. At home, I hike more than a half-mile every night to use a free public charging station. My homeowner association banned electric vehicle charging from the premises.
HOAs suck. Do they also ban you from washing your car in the driveway? I'm so glad I moved away from the last place I had with an HOA. How come all of them seem to elect a Barney Fife-like loser to run them?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
HOAs suck. Do they also ban you from washing your car in the driveway? I'm so glad I moved away from the last place I had with an HOA. How come all of them seem to elect a Barney Fife-like loser to run them?
HOAs protect the value of your home. If you dont like the rules dont buy a home in that neighborhood. We get complaints about the rules from people who never bothered to read the bylaws before buying their home.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
HOAs protect the value of your home. If you dont like the rules dont buy a home in that neighborhood. We get complaints about the rules from people who never bothered to read the bylaws before buying their home.
We did. I now sit on 24 acres where the nearest neighbors are at least 1/4 mile away. But before moving away from the HOA they levied an extra charge to repair a lake front. I owned the smallest house without a lake front or an adjoining park, but I had to pay the same amount as folks who have half million dollar lake front properties. I wish I had that $800 back as I paid and didn't get to enjoy it at all.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
We did. I now sit on 24 acres where the nearest neighbors are at least 1/4 mile away. But before moving away from the HOA they levied an extra charge to repair a lake front. I owned the smallest house without a lake front or an adjoining park, but I had to pay the same amount as folks who have half million dollar lake front properties. I wish I had that $800 back as I paid and didn't get to enjoy it at all.
Works the same way with taxes. We pay for roads and bridges that we never drive on. Eventually because of the selfish generation we have become, the only way to get across a bridge or drive on a highway will be to pay a toll. We will never be able to maintain an infrastructure that way. Thus the decline in the shape of our infrastructure.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Works the same way with taxes. We pay for roads and bridges that we never drive on. Eventually because of the selfish generation we have become, the only way to get across a bridge or drive on a highway will be to pay a toll. We will never be able to maintain an infrastructure that way. Thus the decline in the shape of our infrastructure.
So I paid my HOA tax and never got to use the fixed facilities, meanwhile some rich guy got his back yard adjoining the lake reworked for a fraction of the cost of what it would have cost without the HOA.

I'm fine with paying taxes to maintain the roads and infrastructure, but when it comes to tolls, just look at how the IL state government abused their toll system. Instead of using it to maintain the actual road, they used it as additional revenue to the state to do other projects. Then they decided to sell portions to private investors for an immediate cash payout thus giving up decades of future earnings. So now the "tax" goes into some investor's coffers. Meanwhile, look at the state lottery system. They dipped into that to pay some bills and stopped paying winners their winnings. What was supposed to benefit education really is a shell game to allow the general assembly to do other things with money not going to education as the lottery is funding education. But as soon as people stop buying lottery tickets, the state is caught with its pants down.

It's easy for me to move away from a bad HOA to a place that doesn't have one and still commute to my job. It's a bit tougher to switch states as I'd have to switch jobs. There are good HOAs and bad ones. Sadly, there are some in such disarray that they cause property values to go down rather than keep them up.

Just google "HOA nightmare" and there's plenty of angry, disgruntled home and condo owners. Or check this one out

http://gawker.com/5830257/the-horror-of-homeowners-associations#horrorstories

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Roads work because I DO benefit from the roads I do drive on. How does ninja benefit from someone else's lakeshore?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the responses. I'm half way into month 2 and I think I've used about 3 gallons of gas. Almost everywhere I go is less than 20 miles. The other question I have is regarding power company charge plans. I'm scheduled to get a smart meter this month and am wondering if I should stay with the default one charge all day plan or go to hourly usage. I'm worried if I go to hourly, I'll get killed in the summer afternoons when the rates are like triple. Plus, to really take advantage of that after 12 AM rate I'd have to get a 240 charger as there's only 4 or 5 hours offered at the lowest rate. Also curious... my electric rate is .07 c plus .03 c delivery for a total of .10. Discounting the fixed costs that don't change with the amount of power used, am I right to assume that at this rate it is costing me about $1.07 for a 10.7 kw charge?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts