GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I am missing something obvious, hoping for advice here:

Yesterday I started getting the 'replace the battery in remote' message every time I started up my 2013. While not my main question here, I will note that I got this message regardless which of two keys I had on me (one original, the other a more recent replacement after a loss).

With aid of a short youtube vid, it did turn out that replacing batteries in the key FOB is very easy and trivial (compared to say a more difficult ordeal with my other car Mazda CX5).

But after changing both batteries, I 'still' get the replace battery in remote message when I start car up. I thought this message would clear by itself after the change, but do I instead need to say 'reset' something to cancel the message out? I tried just holding in the center button for a few seconds as you would say to reset the mileage A and mileage B settings, but to no avail.

I can get the message to cancel temporarily after I start up so as not to appear while driving, but the message then returns when I restart the car.

Does this sound normal? Tips on how to cancel message until a time when I need to actually replace a 2nd time?

Thanks

Rich N

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Is it "normal"? Yes and no. I've had it clear up by changing the fob batteries, and also had it react as you are experiencing. I believe there are others with both experiences as well. One thing that you can try is disconnecting the Volt's 12v battery ground cable for a few minutes and see if that straightens things out. My theory is that there can be issues with the vehicles system recognizing the fob(s), and by shutting down the 12v electrical system it will "reboot" the ECUs to get things back on track. I've had success doing this even without changing the fob batteries. It can't really hurt to give it a try.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
99 Posts
I changed out my remote batteries in the last few months. The "replace the battery in remote" message cleared up on its own after I replaced the batteries.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
How many reboot cycles/drives have you done since changing the battery?
Perhaps it just needs a few tests to acknowledge that the signal is now acceptable.
I'd wait it out a couple days at least before trying other options like below

One thing that you can try is disconnecting the Volt's 12v battery [...] It can't really hurt to give it a try.
Well, if you're in a state that still requires emissions tests, it can hurt. Due to the way the volt is operated, it can take forever to get all emissions lights 'ready'. I think mine are actually still not set after 2+ years, lol.
But other than that, it shouldn't hurt to do a full reboot.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I can get the message to cancel temporarily after I start up so as not to appear while driving, but the message then returns when I restart the car.

Does this sound normal? Tips on how to cancel message until a time when I need to actually replace a 2nd time?

Thanks

Rich N
In my experience, the message doesn't go away until you use the remote via a button press on the remote. The passive signal (door handle unlock, starting car, etc) don't turn it off. But if you lock or unlock via the fob button once, that's enough to get it to say "Oh, battery's better now. Hooray!"

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
In my experience, the message doesn't go away until you use the remote via a button press on the remote. The passive signal (door handle unlock, starting car, etc) don't turn it off. But if you lock or unlock via the fob button once, that's enough to get it to say "Oh, battery's better now. Hooray!"
This ^^^^^^

Although I haven't seen it documented anywhere, I believe that you must actually use the remote manually to reset the message.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My interpretation, (possibly worth less than 2 cents):
The Fobs use two different radio systems to work, one passive and the other active.
The passive one works regularly, only using a small amount of car battery to ping, keeping an 'ear' out for the approach of the fob, and power is only actively used in the fob if a button is pressed on the car while the fob is in range, (to respond), or if a fob button is pressed, (to call the car, even if it isn't in range).

This has me consider that it is likely these two systems need to have been active for the car to determine that the battery level in the fob is sufficient.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you check the date on the battery as well? I picked up a battery for my toll transponder at a rest stop and it was dead from the get-go, too old.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, just need to actually 'use' the key fob buttons (say to lock and unlock) as suggested above.

Gave that a try, worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the replies. Honestly, I almost never use the fob buttons in normal use - just have the fob tucked away in the pocket of a gym bag or wallet bag I have with me when I leave. Of course, seems obvious I should have tried now.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes and Yes! Unlock cycle with key fob (and new battery) cleared the "vehicle message" as mentioned above.

No need to disconnect 12V battery!

Yup, just need to actually 'use' the key fob buttons (say to lock and unlock) as suggested above.

Gave that a try, worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the replies. Honestly, I almost never use the fob buttons in normal use - just have the fob tucked away in the pocket of a gym bag or wallet bag I have with me when I leave. Of course, seems obvious I should have tried now.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts