GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you sell a covered vehicle during the coverage period and mileage you are entitled to a refund. The GM Protection Plan now known as the Ally Protection Plan is not the same as the new GM Extended Protection Plan, GMEPP.

To cancel or to transfer a GMPP/APP contract to a new owner call 800-631-5590. There is a $50 fee to cancel or transfer a contract. The cancellation refund is based on calculation of mileage and time less the $50 cancellation fee.

For example, if you have an 84 month / 84,000 mile plan and wish to cancel it after it has been in effect for 24 months and 36,000 miles the calculations would go as follows. There would be 71.4% of the 84 months remaining and 57.1% of the miles remaining. You would therefore be eligible for a refund equal to 57.1% of the purchase price less the $50 cancellation fee. Eligibility for a refund and the amount of the refund are NOT impacted by any claims made/paid during the coverage period.

Additional information about the GMPP/APP may be found at
https://www.ally.com/auto/vehicle-protection/
Keep in mind that Ally Bank is no longer affiliated with GM but that some dealers continue to sell the APP and to service vehicles covered by the APP.

Additional information about the GMEPP may be found in this thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?115370-GMEPP
It appears that discounts are available for the GMEPP as well as for the APP.

KNS

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
To add, I believe if you cancel within the first 60 days, you get a full refund back (minus the $50 fee).

Also, if you purchased and financed the cost of the warranty in a loan, a credit will be posted to the loan instead of getting a check back. That's true for loans financed with Ally anyways.

·
Administrator
20,220 Posts
Given the new technology and lack of car history, I bought a GM Major Guard Protection Plan a year after I had my 2011. It seems to be working well. I have had no major (and hardly any minor) problems with the car :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts