GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is very irritating tic-toc clicking sound of turn signals. How do you adjust this volume down?

Thanks!

·
Registered
677 Posts
You can't, it is fixed...

·
Registered
267 Posts
It is very irritating tic-toc clicking sound of turn signals. How do you adjust this volume down?

Thanks!
Try looking in the settings menu - Vehicle - Comfort and Convenience - Chime Volume, and select + or - to adjust the volume.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
In most cars, that sound comes from the turn signal flasher in the fuse panel. Volt is probably the same. Maybe it could be replaced with a quieter one or you could muffle it.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
haha - has to say "in most cars " may not apply to our Volt ;-)

remember the old days if a lamp was out in the turn bulb we would not get the tick-tock.

·
Registered
247 Posts
In most cars, that sound comes from the turn signal flasher in the fuse panel. Volt is probably the same. Maybe it could be replaced with a quieter one or you could muffle it.
In don't think this is true in most modern cars. Even my 2008 Cadillac has an electronic flasher sound.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Solution: I never use my turn signal when stopped at a light. Only flick it when I make a lane change or I am about to turn. Otherwise it never stays on. No need anyway. If im at a light waiting to turn left, clearly im going to be turning left.

The sound is very annoying along with the open driver door chime.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Solution: I never use my turn signal when stopped at a light. Only flick it when I make a lane change or I am about to turn. Otherwise it never stays on. No need anyway. If im at a light waiting to turn left, clearly im going to be turning left.

The sound is very annoying along with the open driver door chime.
You're kidding, right? You turn off your signal when you get to the light?

Aside from the fact that you are in violation of state law ("Any signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning."), you are defeating the point of signaling which is to let other drivers know that you intend to go some other way than straight. Being in the left lane at a light is no such indicator!

·
Registered
677 Posts
That has no affect on the turn signal...

Try looking in the settings menu - Vehicle - Comfort and Convenience - Chime Volume, and select + or - to adjust the volume.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm sure glad that I don't drive in your area! Sorry, but that is simply stupid (not to mention also illegal in most states)...

Solution: I never use my turn signal when stopped at a light. Only flick it when I make a lane change or I am about to turn. Otherwise it never stays on.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Correct. It is completely electronic and a synthesized sound... If it bothers you that much, turn up the radio.

In don't think this is true in most modern cars. Even my 2008 Cadillac has an electronic flasher sound.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Aside from the fact that you are in violation of state law ("Any signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning."), you are defeating the point of signaling which is to let other drivers know that you intend to go some other way than straight. Being in the left lane at a light is no such indicator!
Lol I'm sure he's in the left lane but he wants to turn right

·
Registered
251 Posts

I actually got pulled over for this a few years ago and told about the law... in my case it was a weekend outside of town a bit with NO ONE around except a parked car about 200 feet away from an intersection (no traffic, just stop sign but not four way stop). I stopped at the intersection, sat for about five seconds trying to figure out if it should turn right or left (was a little lost), turned my turn signal on to turn left, the parked car sitting across from me (again, about 200 feet away from the intersection, lights off, and on the side of the road) came right after me and turned on the flashers to pull me over. Fairly certain the officer was just being a dick, but he didn't ticket me either so....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

To minimize being annoyed, flasher is on when I arrive at the turn at the light, and I turn the signal off if the traffic is stopped and would go through the cycle queue for all, and as soon as the traffic light is about to change, I can anticipate it, I then turn it on. For two lane streets that I need to do the turn, I keep it on to signal my intention to oncoming traffic. But of course even when stopped at the light and there's a cop behind me, it's better choice to be irritated by sound of the turn signal than have a ticket. I sure turn it off when I anticipate a whole cycle of light changes that can take 2 minutes or more, sometimes over 5 minutes in rush hour, as it would feel like torture!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I too would be very interested in being able to turn down the sound of the flasher. If any onyone ever comes up with a workaround please post it here. It is way too loud for my liking - especially in such an overall quiet vehicle.

(And as to the guy who doesn't use his signal lights according to the law - shame on you, you are a menace to other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
My last vehicle (2013 Buick Enclave) had the signal light sound very high as well. I just thought it was because it was a Buick and thus an old guy car that they had it loud for deaf old guys...now I'd have to say my '17 Volt is at least as loud if not louder. Another thing I find too loud is the bing, bing bing when you first get into the car

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Another thing I find too loud is the bing, bing bing when you first get into the car
Buckle the seat belt first, then start the car. No bing, bing, bing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts