GM Volt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking at a used 2013 Volt with 40k miles on it. There's no warranty but will this modification void any future updates/fixes from Chevy/GM?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looking at a used 2013 Volt with 40k miles on it. There's no warranty but will this modification void any future updates/fixes from Chevy/GM?
If we do it no you'll still be able to update properly as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I have been following this thread as I attempt to install a back-up camera in my 2015. I have gotten to the point where everything is hooked up and powered and fine, but when I took it to the dealer and they flashed the radio it seems it is not taking...

Does anyone know if there is some sort of video device detection the 2015 does or if specific levels of "safety package" is required?

I and the volt tech at the dealership are out of ideas and I am almost to the point of working with WAMS to try and get this sorted out...

I am so close!!!! Thanks in advanced for helping!

·
Registered
199 Posts
So, I have been following this thread as I attempt to install a back-up camera in my 2015. I have gotten to the point where everything is hooked up and powered and fine, but when I took it to the dealer and they flashed the radio it seems it is not taking...

Does anyone know if there is some sort of video device detection the 2015 does or if specific levels of "safety package" is required?

I and the volt tech at the dealership are out of ideas and I am almost to the point of working with WAMS to try and get this sorted out...

I am so close!!!! Thanks in advanced for helping!
As stated previously dealers can't do this. If they try to circumvent the security measures they will brick the unit from ever being programmed/updated further so dont risk it and get it done right the first time :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The HK-3188 has backup lines built into the camera and my 2015 Volt has backup line overlay. Is there a way to turn off the lines on the HK-3188?

·
Registered
199 Posts
As long as we did the initial programming we can reprogram it to remove the guidelines from the unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The radio lines bend with the steering wheel. It would be better to turn off the camera lines or replace the camera with a model that doesn't have lines.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The radio lines bend with the steering wheel. It would be better to turn off the camera lines or replace the camera with a model that doesn't have lines.
Yup and we can turn off the lines.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got around to permanently installing my camera (initial test) and getting everything buttoned up last month, and finally made a video of the finished product.

I had/bought a few cameras (about $20 each) at different stages of my plan, as I changed my mind about the setup. I picked up this one based on suggestions of people here and good reviews of it. It included the guidelines in the camera, since I figured those would be nice to have. I eventually decided to spring for WAMS' steerable guideline programming, meaning I'd want a camera without guidelines. I ended up getting a COOLINT CT-X102BL, again based on recommendations and reviews. I didn't notice any real difference in image quality between the two in normal viewing conditions on a small LCD screen.

The CT-X102BL is nice in that it has optional mirroring and guidelines (by cutting/connecting small wire loops) on the cable. It will work for you whether or not you want the guidelines, and could be used in the rear as a backup camera or up front as a regular camera. It's very versatile.

With the first camera linked above, you simply drill a hole (drill bit included) in your bumper and stick the camera in. The tabs pop out, holding the camera in place. With the Coolint camera, you have to feed the threaded rod through the hole, then screw a nut on it. This was quite annoying to do without removing the bumper, and just sticking my wrench through the plate light openings. I pretty much followed the MVI tutorial video in the first post, and ran the cable through the rubber plug in the rear of the trunk.

As you can see in some of its product pics, the Coolint camera has a couple feet of all-in-one cable built into it. That cable plugs into the main harness, which splits into power and video signal. It worked out that the camera's cable reached into the trunk and mated with the main harness inside. My original plan was to power the camera off the reverse light (as in the stock setup), but that would mean running the main harness power wires back out of the cabin again. I wasn't able to find switched power in the trunk, only always-on. I wasn't too worried about the tiny power draw of the camera on a car that's frequently plugged in, but I'd rather have it on switched power if possible. I found a thread here regarding an audio install that mentioned using the rear seat lighter socket for an amp turn-on signal. It's RAP power, and the harness was long enough to reach it. In the future, I may add a relay off that, just to provide general switched power in the trunk for other accessories.

If your camera's power wire ends up on the exterior side, just use the reverse light wire. If it ends up inside, the rear lighter is a good source. Higher-optioned cars might have a better source of switched power available at the back of the car too.

I ran the RCA video cable under the trim along the driver side floor, once again as seen in the MVI video. Nothing too exciting here, just lots of trim tabs. When you're running it from the side of the car over to the radio, make sure to avoid moving parts (pedals, steering column, etc.) and be careful of the lower airbag.

For my initial test, I just crammed the ends of a cut-off RCA plug into the back of the radio's plug. For the final install, I bought the T-harness that comes with MVI's camera kit. It's a very nice product - I'd say it's at least OEM quality. However, buying it was a huge pain. I emailed them about getting one separately, and was told that they sold it for $49, but he'd sell it to me for $40. I had to text someone else, and it was a lot of back and forth over a number of days to assure him that I just wanted the harness and didn't need the camera/programming/etc. With shipping it came to $58 total (I assume that's the regular $49 price plus $9 for shipping, rather than $18 shipping on a $40 item). It would've saved a lot of time if it was simply something you could order from their website. It's a bit expensive, but it means you don't have to modify any of the car wiring or deal with crappy crimp/solder connections. You may or may not find it to be worth the price for yourself.

So after all that, I now have a very factory-like backup camera with moving guidelines. I've always thought the view when backing up was pretty bad, and the camera is a huge help in that regard. It was a decent chunk of money and time to get it installed, but the camera is quite nice to have. I'm curious to see how resistant the camera's shape/location is to snow buildup next winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you everyone for paving the way on figuring this out. I just bought a 2104 and was attempting the method that works on the 2011s and 12s, getting frustrated that no dealers in this area were willing to reflash the software on mine. I have a few questions that I don't see answered yet.

First, for those of you who have had the WAMS upgrade, and had a dealer update your software since then, did everything go smoothly with no loss of functionality? I know GTPprix claims that their process doesn't break updates (except for rare scenarios), but before going through what's a reasonably expensive and inconvenient procedure, I'd like a little reassurance.

Next, I know the climate controls still work while the radio is out, just without the screen to tell you what's up; but what if I switched the sound system to using the AUX port before removing it? Does anyone know if I'd still be able to play music from my phone through a cable while the radio is out getting reprogrammed?

Last, since WAMS is modifying the software on the radio does anyone know if this also could enable the camera to always be available? For example, if I wired the camera to an accessory 12v line, so it's always powered while the car is on, could I switch to it while in drive to see if there's anything in my blindspot? I know about unlocking programming the navigation while in motion, but I don't have/want Nav. Are there any other added features WAMS' programming enables?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I haven't started this project for myself yet, but I'm also doing some research and playing with a few other systems in the car.

Setting up the reverse camera to also work as a blind-spot camera should be a simple matter of connecting 12v+ to a switch or an Ignition Switched 12v circuit, and then to the camera's power input. I presume that once the camera is activated, it takes over the display, though, so probably best to either set it up on a switch or add a screen specifically for monitoring the rear camera if you want it to always be on when the car is powered on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We have a single pole dual throw (SPDT) switch on the camera in our Suburban. When it is one way it is powered by the reverse trigger wire, when you move it the other way it gets constant ignition power and is on all the time. I think that is something like you are mentioning. Very simple to wire up.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thank you everyone for paving the way on figuring this out. I just bought a 2104 and was attempting the method that works on the 2011s and 12s, getting frustrated that no dealers in this area were willing to reflash the software on mine. I have a few questions that I don't see answered yet.

First, for those of you who have had the WAMS upgrade, and had a dealer update your software since then, did everything go smoothly with no loss of functionality? I know GTPprix claims that their process doesn't break updates (except for rare scenarios), but before going through what's a reasonably expensive and inconvenient procedure, I'd like a little reassurance.

Next, I know the climate controls still work while the radio is out, just without the screen to tell you what's up; but what if I switched the sound system to using the AUX port before removing it? Does anyone know if I'd still be able to play music from my phone through a cable while the radio is out getting reprogrammed?

Last, since WAMS is modifying the software on the radio does anyone know if this also could enable the camera to always be available? For example, if I wired the camera to an accessory 12v line, so it's always powered while the car is on, could I switch to it while in drive to see if there's anything in my blindspot? I know about unlocking programming the navigation while in motion, but I don't have/want Nav. Are there any other added features WAMS' programming enables?

Thanks again!
Its not that the dealers wont do it, its simply that they cant. Dealers are our biggest customer for this service and yes you can update the radio the way we do it. It also comes with lots of other features IE removal of motion locks, a better more stable OS etc all of this is on our website. Also no you can't switch to aux with the silverbox out as it wont have anywhere to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its not that the dealers wont do it, its simply that they cant. Dealers are our biggest customer for this service and yes you can update the radio the way we do it. It also comes with lots of other features IE removal of motion locks, a better more stable OS etc all of this is on our website. Also no you can't switch to aux with the silverbox out as it wont have anywhere to go.
Hi GTP, thank you for being so active on this forum. Just one question. How fast is your turnaround time if I decide to send it to you? I saw on the website you guys are not accepting any programming for now to catch up on backlogged programming. Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi GTP, thank you for being so active on this forum. Just one question. How fast is your turnaround time if I decide to send it to you? I saw on the website you guys are not accepting any programming for now to catch up on backlogged programming. Thanks!
The usual one weekend :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have a single pole dual throw (SPDT) switch on the camera in our Suburban. When it is one way it is powered by the reverse trigger wire, when you move it the other way it gets constant ignition power and is on all the time. I think that is something like you are mentioning. Very simple to wire up.
Thank you, yeah that's the type of wiring I was thinking of. Can anyone confirm that this method would work with the Volt's display? From several other reports I've read from other Volt owners tinkering, it looks like the radio will only display the camera when in Reverse, regardless of whether the camera is powered on or if there is a video signal other times.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thank you, yeah that's the type of wiring I was thinking of. Can anyone confirm that this method would work with the Volt's display? From several other reports I've read from other Volt owners tinkering, it looks like the radio will only display the camera when in Reverse, regardless of whether the camera is powered on or if there is a video signal other times.
It doesn't care if the camera is powered up or not only will work when the gear status byte changes to reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if I want to tackle this?

After reading all this not sure if I want the go ahead and go with it, Has anyone look into a wireless stand alone cause the sample video that have been posted here look terrible.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts