GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

This has been a long time coming, I meant to post this a while ago but got really busy but here it is:

Mods, feel free to sticky this :)

Have you bought a Volt without a backup camera and would like to add it as if it came like that from factory ? Do you want the video to come up on your radio’s screen ? If you do, you have a lot of options, you can either buy a plug and play harness will come pre-wired for you so all you would have to do is plug in the Camera's output into the Radio's Video input cable.

If you would like to do it yourself you will need the following:

*A Rear View Camera
*One Female RCA Cable
*Wire Quick Connectors - Taps

Step 1:

Install the rearview camera system and run the Video RCA cable to the front of the car, specifically behind the radio. You can wire the camera’s power wire to the reverse light, that would be the easiest way, and that way it will automatically turn on when you are in reverse only. Please note that the only cable that you need to run to the front is the video RCA cable I am sorry I don’t have pictures of this as I have done this a while ago however there is nothing special on this step, just regular wiring.

Step 2:

You will need to remove the radio to get to the Connector on the back of the radio, please refer to my radio replacement thread below:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?49513-How-To-Add-A-Factory-Navigation-System-W-Pictures

Step 3 :

Connect the female RCA Cable to the radio’s 20 pin harness “ the harness that connects to the plug circled in red below “, the easiest way to do this would be to get quick taps to connect the 2 wires to the radio’s harness. You will have to connect the RCA cables ends to pins number 5 & 15 on the harness.

Step 4:

Connect the Video RCA camera’s cable to Video RCA input cable that you hooked up from the earlier step

This is simply all the wiring that you have to do on the radio’s side, by using quick taps you can remove them when you like with no issues. I put electric tape on the wire loom when I was done.

Step 4:

Reinstall the radio following the reverse order of removal

Step 5:

This is very important, the camera will not work unless you reprogram the radio, this has to be done at the dealer, you have to tell them to reprogram the radio to enable the rearview camera function. They usually charge an hour labor for this

To reprogram the radio for the camera the dealer has to follow these steps:

* Access TIS2WEB
* Open SPS Programming
* Choose the MDI Tool & Replace and Program ECU
* Select the car type then connect the tool to the car
* Choose Radio – Programming from the list "Normal Option" Then select the appropriate radio option weather it is a nav or non nav unit “ UFV or UFU etc.. “
* Select the appropriate calibrations including the rear view camera from the menu "green check mark appears to the selected ones"
* Hit next and you will get a page that will tell what exactly will be programmed then hit yes
* This will conclude the reprogramming proccess

Please note if you have the camera hooked up properly, you will see video but if you went for the repgrogramming before you install the camera you will see a black screen when in reverse.

Also if you have a 2011/2012 and bought a camera with gridlines built in, you will see double lines, but you can disable the built in ones from the radio configuration menu by yourself.

These instructions were given to me by a tech friend a while ago who’s handwriting is horrible so please don’t judge me for minor typos :)

How To Upgrade/Replace Current Camera :

If you have a 2013 and want to replace the camera to get one that has reverse guidelines built in or if you just simply want a better camera, all you have to do is unplug the old one from the hole and insert the new one after connecting the following wires:

* Camera Signal of the plug " Pin 1 & Pin 4 " to the Camera's Video RCA Cable
* Pin Number 5 of the plug to the ground cable of the camera
* Pin Number 3 of the plug to the power cable of the camera

You can use quick connects to tap in to the oem plug or you can cut your oem plug off, and connect the cables directly, that is completely up to you. Please refer to the diagrams below :

Here is a list of the Frequently Asked Questions that might come to your mind so I’ll answer it to the best of my abilities :

1- What kind of camera should I get ?

You can virtually buy any camera that you want, make sure you buy a mirror image camera so it will display properly. If you have a 2011 or a 2012 Volt you don’t need to buy a camera with reverse lines built in, but if you do, it is not a problem as you can disable the radio’s built in reverse lines. If you have a 2013 get one with the lines built in as I don’t believe that option is built in to the oem radio’s program.

2- Can I wire the camera to a different power source ?

Absolutely, however be sure to connect it to switched power source that turns off when the vehicle is off so it doesn’t consume power while the vehicle is off

3- The connector on the back of my radio is beige/grey and not black what should I do ?

The color might differ between the Navigation and Non-Navigation radio, on the Nav Radio the plug goes to the beige/grey plug on the radio, so it is not an issue, just be sure to use the 20 pin harness.

That is all for now, if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them

·
4,860 Posts
Similar question... How hard would it be to replace the OEM camera with a higher res version or a version that has back-up lines?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Similar question... How hard would it be to replace the OEM camera with a higher res version or a version that has back-up lines?
It should not be hard at all, I will check my manual for the rear camera schematic when I go home, it should be as simple as removing the camera, installing the new one and connect the cables for the camera in the back

·
4,860 Posts
It should not be hard at all, I will check my manual for the rear camera schematic when I go home, it should be as simple as removing the camera, installing the new one and connect the cables for the camera in the back
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey budd, I got the answer for you, replacing the oem camera is really easy, it is as simple and taking out the old one and installing the new one with only 4 wires to connect " Video Signal 1&2 , Power & Ground " , You can tap in to the harness that the oem camera is wired to. I will post the diagrams tomorrow for you with more explanation. I am half asleep at the moment :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrighty, how to replace/upgrade current camera has been added to the thread. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Meedo, I have 2013, what cam would you recommend with the back up lines specifically?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Meedo, I haven't found backup cameras on ebay specifically for the Volt but the ones for Malibu that replace the license plate light look identical, do you know if this would work?
Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Definition-NTSC-Car-Reverse-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-for-Chevrolet-Malibu-/181148344570?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item2a2d4860fa

With regards to wiring at head unit you say pins 5 and 15, but which is signal and which is ground?

Do you remember which color wires to tap in the reverse light?

I just want to get it right first time (obvious) so when I go to dealer I can test it right away.

Do we have to request to dealer any specific code or software module to install to make it work?

BTW I have 2014 Volt with standard radio, any reason why this shouldnt work?

Thx

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
With regards to wiring at head unit you say pins 5 and 15, but which is signal and which is ground?

Do you remember which color wires to tap in the reverse light?
According to the schematic info taken from pg.7996 of the Volt service manual linked below in my signature, pin#5 on the A11 Radio connector end appears to be the -(ground). Pg.7412 shows the E5 Reversing Light only containing 2 wires for 12V (Light Green/White) and return (Black)...

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is awesome thx, I will probably go ahead and get one from ebay to see if it fits, seems like a steal at $25. It appears you can take the bulb out from oem license plate light and put into housing for backup camera.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the writeup! I have one question. I tried to ask my Dealer a few days ago how much it would cost to change the software for the camera. I told him it is only a software update, no hardware or anything else on their part. He didn't quite seem to understand and didn't think it was possible. My question, is how are you getting the service people to perform the update/changeover?

Thanks,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to the schematic info taken from pg.7996 of the Volt service manual linked below in my signature, pin#5 on the A11 Radio connector end appears to be the -(ground). Pg.7412 shows the E5 Reversing Light only containing 2 wires for 12V (Light Green/White) and return (Black)...
That is correct sir, thank you for the info :)

That is awesome thx, I will probably go ahead and get one from ebay to see if it fits, seems like a steal at $25. It appears you can take the bulb out from oem license plate light and put into housing for backup camera.
That works too, I bought one that looks like the oem camera and installed it there where it orginally goes, I did have to drill it in there, but the correct drill bit came with the camera, so there was no fuss in the proccess. For those that want to know, any camera will work, you dont have to buy a specific one for the Volt, thats the beauty of it. Just buy one that fits your style :)

Hi. Thanks for the writeup! I have one question. I tried to ask my Dealer a few days ago how much it would cost to change the software for the camera. I told him it is only a software update, no hardware or anything else on their part. He didn't quite seem to understand and didn't think it was possible. My question, is how are you getting the service people to perform the update/changeover?

Thanks,
Don't get too specific with them, they seems to get lost when you do that, just tell them you need to reprogram your radio and to enable the camera function while they are it. When they reflash it using their tool they will get the menu to select the appropriate options for the radio including the backup camera.

Sorry guys, I don't get on here as much as I should be :( I have been extremely busy at work and college :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is video I found showing you how to run the wire from the backup camera to the radio. I may try this next spring ;)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Any idea if it's possible to connect into the same video input as the backup camera and have the video feed on the screen without being in reverse? I'm asking as part of my project to integrate an Apple TV into my car. So far, it appears that my only option is a device to allow multiple GVIF inputs and a selector, but that's about $300. Before I go with that solution I'd like to check my other options.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Any idea if it's possible to connect into the same video input as the backup camera and have the video feed on the screen without being in reverse? I'm asking as part of my project to integrate an Apple TV into my car. So far, it appears that my only option is a device to allow multiple GVIF inputs and a selector, but that's about $300. Before I go with that solution I'd like to check my other options.
Normally, pin #3 of the B87 Rear-view Camera end connector is supplied 12DC voltage only when you are in Reverse (Reverse Lamp Supply Voltage). You would have to splice 12VDC into pin #3 in order to keep the backup camera on when not in Reverse. You could use the accessory voltage (ignition on) for that purpose...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I believe it is possible, I already got an auto video input selector to go through the video in, the only thing that concerned me is the video activation wire " usually a 12v in aftermarket stereos " but after checking with multiple people on here, it seems that it only radio will flip the video on only when it sees signal through the video cable, so if it that is the case, once you install the switcher and connect cables to it, it should pull the video up your screen as soon as it sees a signal. I have wanting to test this theory out for the past 5 months, but work and life have been keeping me busy haha

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Are you sure about that? According to the service manual:
Code:
[B]Pin     Color          Function[/B]
5       Yellow         Camera Signal #2 +
15      Black          Camera Signal #2
So it seems the manual is saying that Pin 5 is the positive in the pinout for the X4 connector on the radio. However, the schematic you reference seems to show what you say, that pin 5 is negative (as noted by the - symbol) where pin 15 shows a symbol as the center wire on an RCA composite video connector.

Is anyone able to confirm the right information? If I can get to an electronics store today, I might put the connects into the wires and verify.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I can confirm that you cannot just splice in another composite video feed into pins 5 and 15. I put connectors on those two wires, so I removed the risk that I was getting the +/- wires mixed because I tried both combinations.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I can confirm that you cannot just splice in another composite video feed into pins 5 and 15. I put connectors on those two wires, so I removed the risk that I was getting the +/- wires mixed because I tried both combinations.
Too bad it didn't work!

Where did you end up pulling the 12V DC power on from?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Too bad it didn't work!

Where did you end up pulling the 12V DC power on from?
I'm not pulling 12V DC power from anywhere. There are two pins - 5 and 15 - for the video signal. I connected pin 5 to the RCA + terminal. I connected pin 15 to the RCA - terminal. Then I sent a video signal from the Apple TV over those two wires. The radio did not switch to this video input when I did this. (NOTE: I also switched the +/- wires to 15 and 5 just to be sure it wasn't just about getting the wiring crossed)

From what I understand, the reason the backup camera itself needs the 12V DC power is to actually turn itself on and then send the active video feed. In the case of the Apple TV connection, it is already sending an active video feed and the theory was this would cause the radio to switch to display that signal. Doesn't seem to work that way.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts